Quantums S3 series baitcasters

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quantums S3 series baitcasters

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 am

Anybody mess with the new S3 series of baitcasters yet? I know most on here are Daiwa and Shimano only people, but there are a few of us seeing the ups of the new reels coming out of the OEM manufacturers.
<")))><{

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Quantums S3 series baitcasters

Post by LAGVPI99 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 pm

I have only handled one Smoke S3 but I haven't fished one. I really to like it - I am afraid I would bite on a Tour if it felt any better than the Smoke.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am

I found a guy on youtube that has one , left a comment asking how he liked it , he said he loved it and ordered more.
On paper and in pictures it looks good. I'd be willing to bite , but if I'm going in the none shimano/daiwa direction , kinda wondering how much better it is than a lews pro g , if any..they are about the same price on ebay.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm

johnD wrote:I found a guy on youtube that has one , left a comment asking how he liked it , he said he loved it and ordered more.
On paper and in pictures it looks good. I'd be willing to bite , but if I'm going in the none shimano/daiwa direction , kinda wondering how much better it is than a lews pro g , if any..they are about the same price on ebay.
Yeah, I have a Pro G as well, and am wondering myself. Playing with the Okuma Helios LP currently as well, and it makes for a killer pitching reel. The brakes on it are outstanding for pitching 1/2oz baits. The Pro G is a better caster though. Its why my curiosity of the S3 Tour is spiking. I wonder how that one matches up since its got a bit different braking system on it.
<")))><{

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah I'd be curious to see how they are myself I cut my teeth on quantum baitcasters many moons ago, be nice to see them continue to put out a solid products I myself loved the Smoke when it first came out, that reel was My Jam for a good while :big grin:

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm

I tried out a new Smoke S3. The reel looks kinda cheap, especially the star drag. The retrieve felt and sounded crappy. The line guide hits my thumb when it goes back and forth and I don't like how the palm side brake dial feels against my hand. I also have this problem with all the Doyo and Banex reels. The only thing I liked about the reel is the casting. I could launch a 3/8 oz. Chatterbait.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:24 pm

LAGVPI99 wrote:I have only handled one Smoke S3 but I haven't fished one. I really to like it - I am afraid I would bite on a Tour if it felt any better than the Smoke.
Guess you guys don't read the reviews eh? :?

Only discernible difference between the Tour and Smoke is in pitching. Otherwise they're really close.

Quantum Tour S3
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:57 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody mess with the new S3 series of baitcasters yet? I know most on here are Daiwa and Shimano only people, but there are a few of us seeing the ups of the new reels coming out of the OEM manufacturers.
Shimano and daiwa aren't the only people there is also Megabass...
:big grin: :big grin:

I have one from a different maker and that is Gen 2 premier by Abu Garcia..
Just to scratch my own curiosity, I went to TWH.com and didnt look at Shimano or Daiwa reels.
I even took out Abu and if i were to buy a reel from some other manufacturer, it would b quantum.. I started out with the Quantum's.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Cal wrote:
LAGVPI99 wrote:I have only handled one Smoke S3 but I haven't fished one. I really to like it - I am afraid I would bite on a Tour if it felt any better than the Smoke.
Guess you guys don't read the reviews eh? :?

Only discernible difference between the Tour and Smoke is in pitching. Otherwise they're really close.

Quantum Tour S3
I read the review but you guys give negative marks sometimes when it doesn't make sense to me... :big grin:

I'm picky - the only thing I don't like about them is the screw on the bottom of the handle side - it hits my hand. If they had recessed that screw I would probably own a Tour.