Spool to increase Zillion PE distance?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool to increase Zillion PE distance?

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am

Purchased a used Zillion PE several years ago. Took it out a couple times and it hasn't been out since. Was quite disappointed in the casting distance I achieved with it. Just picked up a nice MHF 2-piece trunk rod. (Thanks, Adam.) Want to use the PE on it. Still not thrilled with casting distance. I will be fishing from shore so I'd like to get another 10 yards at a minimum. Tried it Friday with either a 1/4 or 5/16 oz. spinnerbait. Played around with the settings, but I'm guessing no more than 30-32 yards. I know the OG Zillions are suppose to be better from 3/8 oz. up. Hoping the PE doesn't have the same limitations or a different spool would help it.

Or maybe a cleaning is in order. I never did send it out for a cleaning. No idea when it may have been cleaned before buying it. I suppose that is something I should get done right away. Need to send Ian a couple other reels anyway.

Otherwise I do have a couple other reels already spooled with braid. I don't use braid much. A Gen1 STXL, older blue Patriarch XT and Ian tuned and upgraded Alphas F. All 3 cast much further than the PE. I'd kind of like to find rod for the PE, tho.

Thanks.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spool to increase Zillion PE distance?

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:51 am

PE spool has always been said to be a good upgrade to the zillion platforms. I put one in my J dream and enjoyed the performance of it but I was using 3/8+ baits. The hlc is another spool I’ve heard good things about. A good clean/flush of the bearings might help you out if they’re dirty. Another option would be 36-34mm spacers and you can then have your pick of spools to use in it. Glad you like the rod.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am

Or some F Zero and swap out with some of the zpi bearings. Am I paying I would probably be one of your better lower cost Solutions :-k

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 am

I've had the material for spacers sitting under my desk for months. No idea when I will get to run some more off. Have a reel sitting at home that needs that size spacers before I can use it. Had the reel/spool about a year. Having a lathe open up at the right time used to be the major problem. Now I go to a second job 4 days a week...normally...so even if a lathe opens up at the right time, I'm not going to be able to stay over and run off my parts. :(