Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Re: Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Post by hasnoboat1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
hasnoboat1 wrote:hmmm...
well since the O.P. asked about casting and in 3 pages nobody actually mentioned distance I guess I will try to share my experience.
I like testing and comparing things fairly.
I own a steez sv tw, and a tat sv tw.
One day I put them both on the same rod , both were spooled with the same line and I casted the same bait on dry land (sidewalk for ease of measurement.

For $300 more the steez got me 10-12' more distance over 145-160'
Is it worth it to me?
Yes, but not just because of distance. Everything about it is pleasant to use. It is aesthetically pleasing, light, smooth and has cool factor.
With that being said I would not recommend it to most people as the price tag just doesn't make since for any of my fishing friends.

I do also have a non sv zillion and it fell right in between the other 2 reels. Seems like to me for $200 you cast very far with tat then gain about 5' for every $100 you spend on top of that. :shock:
Wouldn't the extra distance cast, increasing your distance by 5%, even more if you assume potentially fish may bust up anywhere, left, right, in front or behind the boat, allow you to present your bait to many more fish? This 5% increase becomes 10% if you factor in the diameter of the circle you can present to. In many situations, this may put a lot more fish on your deck.
Sore thumb, yes you are right. Good point.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:57 pm

LowRange wrote:Nice work although I think you should probably test the other 50% or so of the casting equation. Placing baits into targets with precision. I would also include skipping baits as part of this as well. I am also perplexed by the statement that the SV can not get a slack line senko fall like a spinning reel. With the SV reels you run literally no spool tension at all and the brakes control the spool. I found that the ability to get senko type baits to fall vertically and zero spool tension to be a big part of the appeal for SV reels in addition to the skipping. I am of the opinion that if you're not going to be doing any of that then the Magforce Z reels are just fine and that the Tatula reels are really good peeformance bang for your buck.
Yes I agree with you that there are many other factors to casting besides distance. Not to forget the right line and rod for the given application as well.
About the slack line falling senko, I guess I didn't think it would work in the water. The weight of a falling senko in the water enough to pull line??? I quess it is possible. Maybe I keep my spool tension tighter than you do yours.

Thank you original poster this has been an interesting topic and it has shown me additional ways to utilize reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 am

hasnoboat1 wrote:^^^ I think "hogsticker knows something he didn't share with us....
Thank you sir for changing a variable and encouraging a retest...

I did the best I could without respooling reels. I have everything setup differently now than I did before. I was able to get consistant enough results to prove the point I believe he was trying to make about the gains are much greater between $200 and $500 when light baits are factored into the equation.

rods
All casting reels tested on edge rods black widow ds6101 6'10" 1 power extra fast rod rated 1/16- 3/8
All spinning reels tested on Cabellas Arachnid 6'10" mlf rod rated at 1/8 - 3/8
These were the 2 closets rods I had to compare casting to spinning and what I would choose to throw a ned rig on

Bait was a zman trd ned rig goby color on owner 1/16 ewg jig head, total weight 6 grams

casting reels distance of cast
Tat svtw 45'
Zillion tw 50'
sssv 103 68'
steez svtw 80'
alderbaran 30 86'

spinning reels
okuma avenger 90'
stradic cl4+ 90'

The line diameters weren"t all apples to apples which does factor in but I did the best I could without throwing out or respooling $50 in line.

In the end The point is that the more money you spend on a casting reel the bigger the performance gains are on super light baits...or that your $500 casting setup can cast as far as your spinning gear but still not properly slackline fall a senko worm! lol

Is that an old Zillion TWS or the new Zillion SV TW???

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 am

hasnoboat1 wrote:^^^ I think "hogsticker knows something he didn't share with us....
Thank you sir for changing a variable and encouraging a retest...

I did the best I could without respooling reels. I have everything setup differently now than I did before. I was able to get consistant enough results to prove the point I believe he was trying to make about the gains are much greater between $200 and $500 when light baits are factored into the equation.

rods
All casting reels tested on edge rods black widow ds6101 6'10" 1 power extra fast rod rated 1/16- 3/8
All spinning reels tested on Cabellas Arachnid 6'10" mlf rod rated at 1/8 - 3/8
These were the 2 closets rods I had to compare casting to spinning and what I would choose to throw a ned rig on

Bait was a zman trd ned rig goby color on owner 1/16 ewg jig head, total weight 6 grams

casting reels distance of cast
Tat svtw 45'
Zillion tw 50'
sssv 103 68'
steez svtw 80'
alderbaran 30 86'

spinning reels
okuma avenger 90'
stradic cl4+ 90'

The line diameters weren"t all apples to apples which does factor in but I did the best I could without throwing out or respooling $50 in line.

In the end The point is that the more money you spend on a casting reel the bigger the performance gains are on super light baits...or that your $500 casting setup can cast as far as your spinning gear but still not properly slackline fall a senko worm! lol
Swap that stock spool in the Steez SV TW out for a G1 1012SV or Zpi Nrc001-m...... I would guess you could get roughly another 18" per ten dollars spent :lol:

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:38 pm

For which applications would you use:

* Steez SV TWS
* Steez SV103
* Steez A
* Tat SV TW

Thanks!

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm

freelancer27 wrote:For which applications would you use:

* Steez SV TWS
* Steez SV103
* Steez A
* Tat SV TW

Thanks!
Best application I can come up with is to use them all for catching fish! lol

You can use those reels for every kind of fishing I do.
The steez's will throw < 1/4oz baits further than the tat.
steez a is better suited for salt than the others.
Tat is better on your budget and works great for anything > 1/4oz