Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Re: Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Post by BoatBuggy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:No, I actually don't, I bought 2 Zillion SV TW'S after trying one then branched out and tried a Chronarch MGL. Will probably always wish I had bought a 7.9 SV103. There are a few people on here who remind me, they were right. I'm still happy with my reels though, from what I hear the stock spool in an SV103 is a bit overbraked compared to the G1 Zillion SV TW spool. How does the Tatula SV compare to the SV103???
You have three excellent reels there.....

What you hear about the stock spool in an SV103 being "overbraked" is true but I never feel the need to spool the reel on every cast and I really have to work at backlashing it with the stock spool. I snagged a couple of Zillion SV TW 1016 spools from Tackle Trap last time they had them in stock so if I want to "bomb stuff" I can. I don't think it will be possible to break an SV103 and the ability to use a bunch of different spools is hard to resist. If I was in your shoes, I would certainly pick up a lightly used SV103 if I stumbled across one but I wouldn't put off getting a Tat SV while waiting (but if I stumbled across another right-priced, lightly used Steez SV103 XS, I'd be all over that and wait another day for the others).

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:43 am

I have a Steez sv tw that I bought because I was looking for a smaller-ish reel that was lighter then an sv103 to use for heavier lures then I want to use a sv105 for. I also picked up a Aldebaran 50 at the same time because I am a child who hates money.

The Steeze is far nicer and easier to cast the the Alde, but honestly it is not any smoother then my sv103's. With the same spool the SV TW and the sv103 cast almost neck to neck, with the SV TW having a slight edge for under 1/2oz lures. However, when comparing the SV TW to a sv105, the sv105 does far better with under 1/2oz lures and honestly does almost as well with lures up to 3/4oz, the SV TW does offer more control at that end of the range however.

So for me the Steez SV TW exists in a weird place when it's the ideal choice for a very narrow range of rods, which for me is a 3 power Loomis MBR. Something where 1/2oz is the most common weight I am throwing but I want to be able to go lower and higher. But, I have a pair of 3 power MBRs with sv105's on them I use on my kayak and I don't feel like I am missing a lot with them over the bank rod with the Steez on it.

I had Zillion SV TW and didn't care for it much at all, so based on that I am not interested in the Tatulas. If the Steez was closer to $350 I would look at getting a second one, but I think I am going to keep picking up sv103 and sv105 reels as I find them for good prices. I think those two models can cover most all of my normal needs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am

There is another one that isn't mentioned quite as much... The SV105 (Alphas). For my 90% river style finesse fishing I could probably have all SV105's. I love my Zillion SV TW's and have no idea why no one doesn't like them, but I would be okay if the were replaced with an SV105 when the went of mega sale. Probably one of my favorite reels, mine rests on a ML casting rod with 7lb Sniper and it is just so fun. Only reason I don't have more of them was because I hated 80mm handles ($25 upgrade when in stock) and the drag star was a little funny. That reel with a 90mm though and a normal drag star is about perfect for me, maybe a lighter G1 spool and a slightly higher ratio and the SV105 would be a perfect 10/10 reel for what I do.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you everyone for your input and feedback! I have multiple Metaniums, Aldebarans, etc. as well as two Tatula SV TWs that I think perform and cast well at their price point.

I owned a Steez SV and appreciated its refinement, but for some reason casting distance was just average. The smaller size and lighter weight of Steez TW appeals to me but was mostly curious if distance was any better than the Tat and sounds like it might be.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 am

Never owned Tatula TW SV, because I usually spend more money on a reel. However, I really like my Zillion TW SV, having also Steez TW SV, and Steez SV limited, I think the distance is on par with all of three reels with stock SV spools.
Right now, rather than spend ~500 on a Steez TW SV, I would go Zillion TW SV and ZPI NRC M spool, two excellent spools depends of your needs (close quarters/skipping; long cast/ open water) for less money than Steez SV TW.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Cracker wrote:Never owned Tatula TW SV, because I usually spend more money on a reel. However, I really like my Zillion TW SV, having also Steez TW SV, and Steez SV limited, I think the distance is on par with all of three reels with stock SV spools.
Right now, rather than spend ~500 on a Steez TW SV, I would go Zillion TW SV and ZPI NRC M spool, two excellent spools depends of your needs (close quarters/skipping; long cast/ open water) for less money than Steez SV TW.
I concur regarding the new Zpi spools. I spent some more time this past weekend testing the "M" against my SLP G1 1012SV in both my Steez SV TW and FX68. The Zpi spool essentially like adding an extra shot to your already strong coffee. Amazing spools. Not as controlled as the SV, but not wild at reasonable settings. You can really wing it with these.
I would say it really depends on wants and needs regarding getting a Zillion SV TW, or Steez SV TW. Zillion for heavier or high resistance, Steez for the smaller / smallish stuff. I don't know, maybe the Zillion would work just as well with the power finesse stuff, but it isn't a platform I would want to use for it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:32 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Cracker wrote:Never owned Tatula TW SV, because I usually spend more money on a reel. However, I really like my Zillion TW SV, having also Steez TW SV, and Steez SV limited, I think the distance is on par with all of three reels with stock SV spools.
I concur regarding the new Zpi spools. I spent some more time this past weekend testing the "M" against my SLP G1 1012SV in both my Steez SV TW and FX68. The Zpi spool essentially like adding an extra shot to your already strong coffee. Amazing spools. Not as controlled as the SV, but not wild at reasonable settings. You can really wing it with these.
I would say it really depends on wants and needs regarding getting a Zillion SV TW, or Steez SV TW. Zillion for heavier or high resistance, Steez for the smaller / smallish stuff. I don't know, maybe the Zillion would work just as well with the power finesse stuff, but it isn't a platform I would want to use for it.
I don't see how light people are going... I throw a 3.3" Keitech with an eight or 3/16 head PLENTY far on a 7'Medium rod and 12lb Sniper. I understand the Steez would do it better and be lighter weight for balance, but the Zillion SV TW I have gets it done quite well. Same goes for the Chronarch MGL. Now if I got to wacky rigged trick worms or 1/16 weighted smaller lures I can understand, even though with lighter line the Zillion can still function in those scenarios.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 am

I don't have the Steez, but picked up a Tat Tw Sv 8.1 on the cheap, spooled up with 50lb. suffix 832 throwing 1/2 oz. traps it gets them out there really well. Good control and great distance, for a low $ trap reel it fills the bill.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:12 am

I don't have the Steez SV TW but have allot of experience with the SV 105 spools in a IS and TDZs. Its strength is it can handle from finesse to heavy baits effectively and still feel right with control. Also it starts up easily so its great for accurate short to medium distance casting. For long range casting its decent, not terrible, but doesn't wow you either. So if you want to bomb lures long range just put in a ZPI spool and then you can have great distance casting also.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 am

In my experience the Sv TW Steez isn't the best caster. But it reaches it's max distance with ease and that distance is very good.
And it does it with baits down to an eighth up to an ounce and a half.

As far as over braking? I don't understand what that means. If your bearings are fast, set the brake to anything below 4 and it will get squirrely. Set to 4 and you have to pay attention. 5 you're fairly tame but a tumbling lure will bite you.

Anything above 5 and you are going to start losing distance and it becomes very tame.

The tat sv didn't handle the lower end range that the steez did. Spooks spinnerbaits jigs etc over a quarter ounce are very close.
(((but news flash.. lol ..%99.99 of FW baitcasters throw within 10% of one another in that quarter ounce and up range :) )))

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 am

I tested 3 spools in my Steez sv tw after buying it. All had Zpi sic bearings installed and I tested baits from 5/16-1/2oz all day long in winds of about 8-10mph.
Stock G1 1016 spool
Zillion G1 1016 spool
Zpi Nrc001 pg spool

The zillion 1016 spool in the Steez sv tw performed the best. It was able to go the lowest on the brake dial and still stay easily controllable with the best distance. As mentioned above though... they were all 3 close to each other. Only difference was the Zpi and Steez 1016 requires a little more attention when casting to keep it from backlashing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm amazed as to how the ZPI is a fixed inductor but seems to be one of the best performing spools. Not that there is anything wrong with static magnetic systems, my Tatula HD will bomb too. Just would have thought a MagZ style system that retracts would have yielded better results.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I don't see how light people are going... I throw a 3.3" Keitech with an eight or 3/16 head PLENTY far on a 7'Medium rod and 12lb Sniper. I understand the Steez would do it better and be lighter weight for balance, but the Zillion SV TW I have gets it done quite well. Same goes for the Chronarch MGL. Now if I got to wacky rigged trick worms or 1/16 weighted smaller lures I can understand, even though with lighter line the Zillion can still function in those scenarios.
True, and yes, I throw finesse worms with the lightest nail weight broke in half on my Steez SV TW connected to my light action / power stick, a rod I would not by any means want a Zillion SV TW hanging from :lol:
On a medium power rod, yes - That's more like it for that reel

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:I tested 3 spools in my Steez sv tw after buying it. All had Zpi sic bearings installed and I tested baits from 5/16-1/2oz all day long in winds of about 8-10mph.
Stock G1 1016 spool
Zillion G1 1016 spool
Zpi Nrc001 pg spool

The zillion 1016 spool in the Steez sv tw performed the best. It was able to go the lowest on the brake dial and still stay easily controllable with the best distance. As mentioned above though... they were all 3 close to each other. Only difference was the Zpi and Steez 1016 requires a little more attention when casting to keep it from backlashing.
That's how "our" best performance differs. You like to get that brake dial as close to zero as possible. I like to leave room for improvement. With lighter baits the spool doesn't cook as fast, so I can inch my way down the dial a little more. And in doing so, it won't toss the line into nightmare status, because there isn't as much weight creating greater velocity.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:I tested 3 spools in my Steez sv tw after buying it. All had Zpi sic bearings installed and I tested baits from 5/16-1/2oz all day long in winds of about 8-10mph.
Stock G1 1016 spool
Zillion G1 1016 spool
Zpi Nrc001 pg spool

That's how "our" best performance differs. You like to get that brake dial as close to zero as possible. I like to leave room for improvement. With lighter baits the spool doesn't cook as fast, so I can inch my way down the dial a little more. And in doing so, it won't toss the line into nightmare status, because there isn't as much weight creating greater velocity.
As close to 0 gives you the most distance. I inch my way down also to find my sweet spot but the zillion spool on 6 requires no thumb or very little and gives good distance. The Steez spool on 6 gets wild most of the time and requires you to pay attention. For it to react the same it had to be on 7-8 but distance wasn’t as good. Zpi has to be on 8-9 to achieve the same results. I want the most consistent spool that reacts the same time and time again. I can improve upon all of these but from testing the zillion is always going to have a slight edge on the others as far as ease of use goes.