Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Post by cumara » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am

Hello, can someone please tell me how the Steez SV TW casting performance compares to the Tat SV TW? I imagine that the steez handles lighter baits better but do they perform similarly in general and is distance similar? Thanks in advance!

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez SV TW castability compared to Tat SV TW

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Everything about the Steez SV TW is better than the Tat SV. Retrieve, casting, ergonomics, etc.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Never used the Tatula SV TW, but if it's even three quarters as good as my Steez SV TW....... I wasted a lot of money.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Probably depends on lures casted, rod, etc. On the same rod/line the Steez should always win. The Tatula SV has a monster brake inductor, which isn't bad, just is designed for more user friendly casting which equates to shorter casts.

Now an even better question to ask is how different the Zillion SV TW is from the Steez SV TW. I know the Tatula spool is heaviest, then the Zillion SV TW, then the Steez SV TW is just a miniscule amount lighter than the Zillion's spool because of extra porting around the shaft. I have only cast the older Steez SV (non TW) and it's no more if even less impressive than the Zillion SV TW. No idea on the Steez SV TW inductor size/springs either, but again it will definitely best a Tatula SV. Now if those extra yards are worth $300 is up to you (along with ergonomics, retrieve, weight, being a Steez, rigid frame, etc.).

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:29 am

The Steez isn’t going to outcast it by $350 difference in price. I own the Steez sv tw. It is a great reel but I don’t feel it’s worth it’s retail price tag. Luckily I got mine for a great deal. It’s the only reason I own it right now honestly. I’d say unless you’re an enthusiast and need to have high end gear then get something else. For me I wasn’t wowed like I thought I would be and as everyone hyped up the reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 am

Rippin-lips wrote:The Steez isn’t going to outcast it by $350 difference in price. I own the Steez sv tw. It is a great reel but I don’t feel it’s worth it’s retail price tag. Luckily I got mine for a great deal. It’s the only reason I own it right now honestly. I’d say unless you’re an enthusiast and need to have high end gear then get something else. For me I wasn’t wowed like I thought I would be and as everyone hyped up the reel.
Kinda where I am at... Have some decent reels, wanted a really good one and down grade my current least expensive but after thinking on it... I'm catching em fine for now, a Tat SV under $170 would be a heck of a "filler" reel for less used combo's.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:46 am

If cost is at all a factor, get the Tat SV TW. Not only will you save money, but the brass gears will probably prove more durable over time.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:The Steez isn’t going to outcast it by $350 difference in price. I own the Steez sv tw. It is a great reel but I don’t feel it’s worth it’s retail price tag. Luckily I got mine for a great deal. It’s the only reason I own it right now honestly. I’d say unless you’re an enthusiast and need to have high end gear then get something else. For me I wasn’t wowed like I thought I would be and as everyone hyped up the reel.
You're literally the only person I've heard say this. It's still the finest reel I've fished. Is it worth the asking price, no, but it's also not intended to be a budget reel. Everything cool is generally over priced in the fishing world. Swimbaits, JDM gear, etc

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
You're literally the only person I've heard say this. It's still the finest reel I've fished. Is it worth the asking price, no, but it's also not intended to be a budget reel. Everything cool is generally over priced in the fishing world. Swimbaits, JDM gear, etc
Yeah, I agree on cool things being overpriced. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fine reel for sure but I wasn’t blown away by it. I guess I was expecting a lot more from all the hype that was surrounding it. It looks good and is comfortable but it doesn’t do anything else that any of my other reels won’t do. My SV103 with sv105 spool will outcast it and feels just as solid imo. As I’ve mentioned before the zillion 1016 spool is more user friendly in it than the stock steez 1016 spool when casting 5/16oz and up. I’m not disappointed in my purchase due to the great deal I got but now having had it for a few months I can say that I definitely wasn’t missing out on anything or would I be sad if I sold it. That’s just my opinion though and we all know how that saying goes.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:09 pm

I agree. Yes, it is a nice reel, but not worth the extra $ when compared to many other Shimanos and Daiwas.
I buy most of my reels in Japan, eg digitaka, where Steez SV TW is 52000 jpy, Conquest approx. 44000 jpy, Met Mgl something like 32000 jpy...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy or you guys are nuts. I power finesse fish 90% of my time on the water, and this reel shines way brighter than any other I've used. By power finesse I mean total weight below 5/16 oz - not BFS. I'm still a big fan of the T3 platform (I know you are not Adam), and the Steez SV TW feels very familiar to me, only better in every way possible. I really like the G1 1012SV spool in it, but switching back and forth with the Zpi Nrc001-m, I have to give the nod to the Zpi. I tried these same spools in my Tdz Type R+ and Steez SV103. They were just too fast, and both these reels just feel to solid and stout for power finesse if that makes sense. That being said, I wouldn't use the Steez SV TW for the same things I'm using the Tdz and Steez for, for those same reasons. This reel is just perfect in every way for what I spend my time doing on the water. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah it's crazy expensive but I think the Steez SV TW is an exquisite reel and is one that simply melts into my hand. I have one on an NRX 802c that I use for poppers and one on a Diablo Spec-R that I use for swimjigs. Butter smooth and a simple flick of the wrist is all it takes to launch. I wish I could get a 5.5 gear set in one for spybaiting. Those are my three favorite ways to fish and high-end gear makes it all the more enjoyable.

Where I have the issue justifying the price diff is between the Zillion SV TW and the Tat SV. My Zillion SV TW is a 5.5 and it's what I use for spybaiting. It's certainly a nice reel and the drag can handle big smallies doing their thing with a tiny spybait hook stuck in it's yap but for more brute force applications, I'll take the Tat SV and get some other stuff with the price diff.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:33 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:Yeah it's crazy expensive but I think the Steez SV TW is an exquisite reel and is one that simply melts into my hand. I have one on an NRX 802c that I use for poppers and one on a Diablo Spec-R that I use for swimjigs. Butter smooth and a simple flick of the wrist is all it takes to launch. I wish I could get a 5.5 gear set in one for spybaiting. Those are my three favorite ways to fish and high-end gear makes it all the more enjoyable.

Where I have the issue justifying the price diff is between the Zillion SV TW and the Tat SV. My Zillion SV TW is a 5.5 and it's what I use for spybaiting. It's certainly a nice reel and the drag can handle big smallies doing their thing with a tiny spybait hook stuck in it's yap but for more brute force applications, I'll take the Tat SV and get some other stuff with the price diff.
This is what I am thinking, for the price of the Tatula's (SV) I'm not scared to put one to the test hard. Do you have both the Tat and Zillion SV?

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:This is what I am thinking, for the price of the Tatula's (SV) I'm not scared to put one to the test hard. Do you have both the Tat and Zillion SV?
I have a few Tat SVs (I think I have 7, maybe 8) and they are my general purpose reels that I use for everything but the three things I use the Steez SV TWs for. I've also got a couple of the original Tat 100s and 3 or 4 Tat CTs. I use the CTs for frogs and rage toads. I've been a big fan of the Tats since their debut and until someone comes up with a better skipping reel for the money than the Tat SV, I'll be a big fan. FWIW, I can't skip anything with the Steez SV TWs which is probably a good thing..... :lol:

I don't have a Zillion SV (the non-TW one) but I have a couple of SV103s which might be close enough and you probably already know they are beasts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:32 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:This is what I am thinking, for the price of the Tatula's (SV) I'm not scared to put one to the test hard. Do you have both the Tat and Zillion SV?
I have a few Tat SVs (I think I have 7, maybe 8) and they are my general purpose reels that I use for everything but the three things I use the Steez SV TWs for. I've also got a couple of the original Tat 100s and 3 or 4 Tat CTs. I use the CTs for frogs and rage toads. I've been a big fan of the Tats since their debut and until someone comes up with a better skipping reel for the money than the Tat SV, I'll be a big fan. FWIW, I can't skip anything with the Steez SV TWs which is probably a good thing..... :lol:

I don't have a Zillion SV (the non-TW one) but I have a couple of SV103s which might be close enough and you probably already know they are beasts.
No, I actually don't, I bought 2 Zillion SV TW'S after trying one then branched out and tried a Chronarch MGL. Will probably always wish I had bought a 7.9 SV103. There are a few people on here who remind me, they were right. I'm still happy with my reels though, from what I hear the stock spool in an SV103 is a bit overbraked compared to the G1 Zillion SV TW spool. How does the Tatula SV compare to the SV103???