Steez A Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez A Question

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:18 am

After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

I know the 1016 G1 SV works in the Steez A, but just not how well it works, and I DON'T know what reels the G1 Magforce Z Steez A spool works in (if it is 1016 compatible).

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez A Question

Postby Rippin-lips » Wed May 30, 2018 6:55 am

Both reels use a 34mm spool. You can swap them around without issue. The 1016 will fit and should give you wht you’re looking for.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

I know the 1016 G1 SV works in the Steez A, but just not how well it works, and I DON'T know what reels the G1 Magforce Z Steez A spool works in (if it is 1016 compatible).

Sounds like a really good plan to me. The G1 1016 will allow you to cast 1/8 oz lead, plus the smallest of plastics. I have no idea what the Steez A spool will do in an SS SV. Could be interesting

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

Sounds like a really good plan to me. The G1 1016 will allow you to cast 1/8 oz lead, plus the smallest of plastics. I have no idea what the Steez A spool will do in an SS SV. Could be interesting

That is what I think. I feel bad to have one of my better performing spools wasted on a Cranking rod (nothing wrong with cranking, just don't do it much), I figure the G1 MagZ Steez A spool would be good for long bombing jerkbaits and regular squarebills on that rod though, with the SS. Even if the Steez A spool doesn't work I have a project to modify the stock SS/SV spool with a Zillion SV TW inductor, Zillion Type R spring, and the white block/ramp to prevent sticking.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

Is the Steez A identical to the Steez SV other than frame/build composition, spool, handle, etc. Just really wanted to know if the gears and other internals are the same. I assume the sideplate/brakes are the same and the differences just rest within the spool and inductor for the SV version...

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby iabass8 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Ergonomically they are identical. I've never tried to swap my Steez As or SV TW's side plate as they are a different color. They lock a little bit differently though.

Return to “Reels”