Steez A Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez A Question

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:18 am

After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

I know the 1016 G1 SV works in the Steez A, but just not how well it works, and I DON'T know what reels the G1 Magforce Z Steez A spool works in (if it is 1016 compatible).

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez A Question

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed May 30, 2018 6:55 am

Both reels use a 34mm spool. You can swap them around without issue. The 1016 will fit and should give you wht you’re looking for.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

I know the 1016 G1 SV works in the Steez A, but just not how well it works, and I DON'T know what reels the G1 Magforce Z Steez A spool works in (if it is 1016 compatible).
Sounds like a really good plan to me. The G1 1016 will allow you to cast 1/8 oz lead, plus the smallest of plastics. I have no idea what the Steez A spool will do in an SS SV. Could be interesting

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:After considering a new reel, slightly better than my normal $200-300 range, I looked at the Steez A. For what I would do, the more finesse side of general purpose the better. From what I read I don't think the stock Steez A spool is the best though. My simple question is, if I use a 1016 G1 SV TW Zillion spool in the reel will it have good results? And if I do that, could I put the Magforce Z Steez A spool in my SS/SV for a more general purpose casting (its on a cranking rod and I feel that 1016 SV is being wasted)???

Sounds like a really good plan to me. The G1 1016 will allow you to cast 1/8 oz lead, plus the smallest of plastics. I have no idea what the Steez A spool will do in an SS SV. Could be interesting
That is what I think. I feel bad to have one of my better performing spools wasted on a Cranking rod (nothing wrong with cranking, just don't do it much), I figure the G1 MagZ Steez A spool would be good for long bombing jerkbaits and regular squarebills on that rod though, with the SS. Even if the Steez A spool doesn't work I have a project to modify the stock SS/SV spool with a Zillion SV TW inductor, Zillion Type R spring, and the white block/ramp to prevent sticking.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

Is the Steez A identical to the Steez SV other than frame/build composition, spool, handle, etc. Just really wanted to know if the gears and other internals are the same. I assume the sideplate/brakes are the same and the differences just rest within the spool and inductor for the SV version...

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Ergonomically they are identical. I've never tried to swap my Steez As or SV TW's side plate as they are a different color. They lock a little bit differently though.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:23 am

Don't mean to rehash an older thread here, but it is better than making a new one...

Had a new thought... What about putting a Steez A spool into a Zillion SV TW? I am really considering ordering a Steez A XH from Japan, they are at a good price and I am assuming that is the best way to feel the new Tatula frame with a few extras. I enjoy the fact that it has a drag clicker, and 1016 capability. Depending on how my fishing funds go, I might even add a ZPI shallow spool.

For now I know the Steez A, Bantam, whatever I buy will have to replace something else I like, so I plan to move the slightly older reel to a MH rod and the most comfortable, lightest casting, fastest reel to my 7'M rod I use most of the time.

So to reiterate, what reels have ANYONE used the Steez A spool in, aside of the Steez A itself???

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:36 am

I've put it in a TD-Z type R+, Zillion SV TW, OG Zillion, and a TDZ100. Sold all my A spools for G1 steez 1016s. Will be getting an ZPI NRC PG shortly.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:05 am

I put the Steez SV tw g1 spool in my Steez A, and it made it an awesome reel. I can get longer skips with less brakes using the Steez A frame with Sv spool. I put the Steez A spool in my Steez SV tw an it is much better controlled in the Sv tw. Using the stock Steez A spool in the Steez A felt vey wild and had to turn the brakes way up to make good casts and pitches. I like the Steez A. With the Sv tw spool better than I like the Steez SV tw. I feel like it’s more solid and feels better with a wider variety of baits. The Steez A and Sv tw side plates are different and are not interchangeable. I believe I have the brakes set to 10 on both reels now and the svtw with Steez A spool skips almost as good as it did with an Sv.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Don't mean to rehash an older thread here, but it is better than making a new one...

Had a new thought... What about putting a Steez A spool into a Zillion SV TW?
Whats the difference from a Steez A to the SS SV spool?

I've tried the SS SV in the ZLN SV with good results with light top water poppers. Picked up a RCS 1012 SV(red) and a RCS 1016 G1 SV but I haven't tried them yet. The 1012 may go in my SV103 for light to medium cranks?
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:27 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Don't mean to rehash an older thread here, but it is better than making a new one...

I've tried the SS SV in the ZLN SV with good results with light top water poppers. Picked up a RCS 1012 SV(red) and a RCS 1016 G1 SV but I haven't tried them yet. The 1012 may go in my SV103 for light to medium cranks?
To be honest with you, because you seem like an SS/SV fan too (that makes a whopping 2 of us) my stock SS/SV spool doesn't bother me either. I enjoyed it for small swimbaits thrown medium distances and jerkbaits worked well on there too. I did finally try the Zillion SV TW spool in the SS though and finally understood the over braked issue. 2 days ago I was bombing Rapala DT6's unreal distances (for me) but I rarely use that setup. I want to try the Steez frame though and really prefer an 8 speed though so the Steez A with a G1 SV TW Zillion spool should be a good match. Aluminum gears don't scare me, hell my SS/SV is still one of the smoothest reels I own, probably because I am lucky to fish once or twice a week.

Just need to sell my Tatula HD to justify spending $360 on a reel, that will be the most I have ever dropped. Do the JDM Steez A XH have the drag clicker???

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

To be honest with you, because you seem like an SS/SV fan too (that makes a whopping 2 of us) my stock SS/SV spool doesn't bother me either. I enjoyed it for small swimbaits thrown medium distances and jerkbaits worked well on there too. I did finally try the Zillion SV TW spool in the SS though and finally understood the over braked issue. 2 days ago I was bombing Rapala DT6's unreal distances (for me) but I rarely use that setup. I want to try the Steez frame though and really prefer an 8 speed though so the Steez A with a G1 SV TW Zillion spool should be a good match. Aluminum gears don't scare me, hell my SS/SV is still one of the smoothest reels I own, probably because I am lucky to fish once or twice a week.

Just need to sell my Tatula HD to justify spending $360 on a reel, that will be the most I have ever dropped. Do the JDM Steez A XH have the drag clicker???
Yes, my jdm 8.1 has the clicking drag like a salt water reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 am

domthewon wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I am assuming you like your JDM 8.1 alright also??? I know the warranty isn't there with JDM, and for that reason the magseal spooks me a bit as do any major potential issues...

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
domthewon wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I am assuming you like your JDM 8.1 alright also??? I know the warranty isn't there with JDM, and for that reason the magseal spooks me a bit as do any major potential issues...
Really nice all around reel. There is very little info on the reel itself or feedback from bass fisherman using them. I have been using it on an NRX 894, and throwing 3/8- 3/4 tungsten. I also threw it on my X4 destruction and have thrown frogs, big topwaters, and a 6" S waver. It will do everything good. It's Very smooth, solid, light weight for being aluminum framed, good in the palm, and if you replace the stock spool with a G1 Sv spool or ZPI PG it's at the top of my list. Plus I like the clicking drag on it even though I have it locked down right now. Buying JDM doesn't worry me. Most parts on reels are replaceable, and I really only bought the jdm for the 8.1 gears. All other parts can be had here through daiwa for the US reels, and this reel feels solid to me anyways. I like it.
Dom

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 am

domthewon wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
domthewon wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote: Yes, my jdm 8.1 has the clicking drag like a salt water reel.
Really nice all around reel. There is very little info on the reel itself or feedback from bass fisherman using them. I have been using it on an NRX 894, and throwing 3/8- 3/4 tungsten. I also threw it on my X4 destruction and have thrown frogs, big topwaters, and a 6" S waver. It will do everything good. It's Very smooth, solid, light weight for being aluminum framed, good in the palm, and if you replace the stock spool with a G1 Sv spool or ZPI PG it's at the top of my list. Plus I like the clicking drag on it even though I have it locked down right now. Buying JDM doesn't worry me. Most parts on reels are replaceable, and I really only bought the jdm for the 8.1 gears. All other parts can be had here through daiwa for the US reels, and this reel feels solid to me anyways. I like it.
Dom
Thanks, mine will go on a 7'Medium or new softer 7'3"MH rod with 10-12lb fluoro for river fishing. Adding the G1 SV Zillion spool will work nice. If it doesn't offer enough, I plan on going with a ZPI shallow or 1012 G1 SV. Really makes me just want to keep saving and buy the SV version XH but 5 something ounces will be odd to balance on my $200 range rods...