Steez A Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez A Question

Post by FamKench » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am

Buy it! Lol. I don't regret purchasing my 8.1 steez a from Japan. It's the most expensive reel I've bought to date too and I can't decide which rod I want to use it on cause it's that good and a charm to use. It can go on my finesse rod for throwing smaller baits and weightless senkos, crankbaits rod, squarebill/top water treble rod, or frog rod. I love all techniques equally but decided to keep it on the squarebill/top water rod since I use that most often and with a wider range of weights.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am

FamKench wrote:Buy it! Lol. I don't regret purchasing my 8.1 steez a from Japan. It's the most expensive reel I've bought to date too and I can't decide which rod I want to use it on cause it's that good and a charm to use. It can go on my finesse rod for throwing smaller baits and weightless senkos, crankbaits rod, squarebill/top water treble rod, or frog rod. I love all techniques equally but decided to keep it on the squarebill/top water rod since I use that most often and with a wider range of weights.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I really want one but I need to sell a Tatula HD first... Might just go ahead and buy it anyways. I am also excited to put that G1 MagZ spool in my SS/SV. I think the gunmetal/grey color matches well and it will work good for long bombing jerkbaits and medium diving cranks. I wish it had the purple ring like the SV Steez did though, for some reason I like purple on a reel...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Had to bring this up yet again... I think I FINALLY have sold the necessary equipment to justify a Steez A. My question is, should I just save another $100 and go with the JDM Steez SV TW XH? Anyone who has used the 1012 Steez versus Zillion 1016 should know if the difference is worth it. I am going to buy a Dobyns MH, Tatula elite MH, or Tatula Elite AGS M/MH for this reel. I want to use light fluoro or maybe 30lb braid. Just seeing what suggestions are. Would save money for a better rod to have the Steez A and use my extra G1 Zillion spool, but that 1012 SV is calling to me.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 pm

I have a Steez A 7.1 coming in next week and would like to know where most of you are getting your G1 1016 SV spools?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 am

stingray23 wrote:I have a Steez A 7.1 coming in next week and would like to know where most of you are getting your G1 1016 SV spools?
I watched Tackle Trap like a hawk. Second I saw them in stock I burned my keyboard I ordered them so fast. Was a limited few days where they were back in stock a few months ago. Now I have 3 total and am going to modify my SS/SV spool with an inductor from the Zillion SV TW G1 spool and a Type R+ spring as soon as the parts arrive from Plat.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:06 am

stingray23 wrote:I have a Steez A 7.1 coming in next week and would like to know where most of you are getting your G1 1016 SV spools?
It depends which G1 spool you want. The Zillion G1 spool comes in/out of stock at the Tackle Trap. The Steez G1 spool is available at most JDM sites and prices vary. I got some from JapanTackle for around 104$ shipped. Just google " RCS Steez G1 1016 spool" and go from there.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am

Japantackle

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Strewth wrote:
Japantackle
I would have a problem buying the Steez RCS 1016 for around $100-120. I think it is just BARELY lighter than the Zillion SV TW G1 spool. Now if I were stepping up to the Steez RCS 1012 it makes a little more sense. I have never tried the ZPI shallow spool but it is on my radar too. I just now sold my Tatula HD so I am trying to make a Steez decision.

I like the price and clicking drag of the Steez A, don't like the knobs or less purple. I also do not like worrying about messing up the magseal when servicing a JDM reel with no US warranty (figure I could buy a Steez SV TW non magseal bearing at worst). I do like the fact that I have a G1 1016 Zillion spool already to use and the G1 Mag-Z spool fits my SS/SV's rod/technique well (shallow cranking long cast), but I don't like that I'm only getting Zillion performance casting with a Steez shell.

Right now the Steez SV TW XH is around $460 and the Steez A is around $360. $100 more dollars would be worth a 1012 SV G1 spool but I just don't know if it worth it, for that $100 I could be close to buying a Tatula Elite to go with the Steez...

What would you all do???

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:09 pm

If you can't find the Steez 1016 for 110 or so just spend the 139 on the ZPI NRC001 PG. TT has them in stock and it comes /w ZPI office bearings installed, too. Helps justify the 20$ price increase. I'm putting the blue one in one of my steeZ a's when it comes in.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the reply, guys. I am totally new to the spool game. Is there a noticeable difference between the steez sv spool and the zillion sv to justify the price?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:39 am

stingray23 wrote:Thanks for all the reply, guys. I am totally new to the spool game. Is there a noticeable difference between the steez sv spool and the zillion sv to justify the price?
Good question, I need to know this too, I'm okay with having a Zillion SV TW spool in a Steez A, just still not sure I shouldn't go for a 1012 or shallow ZPI. Guess I could always add that later along with knobs. I'm really feeling that drag clicker...

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Mine came in today. Feels like a really nice reel. Love the weight of it. Just perfect. Disappointed it doest come with reel oil or a Steez reel cover. Gonna look more into the spools and change those paddle knobs. Cant wait to try it out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

stingray23 wrote:Mine came in today. Feels like a really nice reel. Love the weight of it. Just perfect. Disappointed it doest come with reel oil or a Steez reel cover. Gonna look more into the spools and change those paddle knobs. Cant wait to try it out.
Is yours a JDM Steez A also??? I just got my Paypal account setup and am very excited. How long for it to come in??? I am also still debating paying a little more for the US model and getting a warranty, just not sure if it is worth the extra and I REALLY DON'T want a 7 speed. Been a few times the Zillion SV TW 7.3 and Chronarch MGL 7.1 have me desiring more speed...

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:Mine came in today. Feels like a really nice reel. Love the weight of it. Just perfect. Disappointed it doest come with reel oil or a Steez reel cover. Gonna look more into the spools and change those paddle knobs. Cant wait to try it out.
Is yours a JDM Steez A also??? I just got my Paypal account setup and am very excited. How long for it to come in??? I am also still debating paying a little more for the US model and getting a warranty, just not sure if it is worth the extra and I REALLY DON'T want a 7 speed. Been a few times the Zillion SV TW 7.3 and Chronarch MGL 7.1 have me desiring more speed...

To be honest, I dont know if its JDM or not. Is there a way to tell on the box? I bought mine off of a vendor on ebay thats located in the states. I find the 7.1 speed to be perfect. Have too many 6.XX ratio reels already.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm

stingray23 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

To be honest, I dont know if its JDM or not. Is there a way to tell on the box? I bought mine off of a vendor on ebay thats located in the states. I find the 7.1 speed to be perfect. Have too many 6.XX ratio reels already.
I think if it is JDM the instructions will be in Japanese primarily. Think my SS/SV is ALL Japanese writing. Either way what do you think of it? If I can pull the trigger on a JDM XH tonight I will get a spool and eventually knobs...