Chronarch 150G vs Met MGL and Chronarch 150G in saltwater...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch 150G vs Met MGL and Chronarch 150G in saltwater...

Post by oops » Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Anyone have experience with both of these reels side by side and have a strong opinion on the performance of one vs the other?

Also, how are your Chronarch 150G holding up in saltwater? I bought my Met MGL the moment they were available in Japan and it's the best reel I've ever used. By far. Unfortunately after 6 months of moderate fishing and my normal routine maintenance (light wash after every trip and clean bearings every other trip), I completely fried the gears and I believe some other stuff, resulting in a pretty expensive fix up by Ian, and it took me 5-10 years of beating on other reels before I sent them to him. Haven't had much time to fish in the past year but when I do, I am a 1 rod 1 reel guy, and it feels like the reel may be crapping out on me again. I think I want to replace it with something that is more saltwater friendly, and the Chronarch 150G is at the top of my list right now.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 150G vs Met MGL and Chronarch 150G in saltwater...

Post by Slazmo » Sat May 26, 2018 2:48 am

I think that seals it - I'll throw up a couple of corrosion pics of "saltwater safe" reels next time I've got my laptop warmed up.

Preventative maintenance is the only real way to prevent corrosion the end.

EI treatments that say saltwater safe and all that jazz is just marketing spoof!

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 am

Very interested in this thread...and somewhat reflects my concern.
I went back and forth on whether I should try the latest met mgl for general use...including inshore...as the comments on it's casting distance have been impressive. I have a couple of DC reels, Antares 16 and the 17 Exsense...where I thought I use the former for only fresh and the latter for only inshore due to the rating. The Exsence has not left the box it came in...as I'm not sure I want to suffer its slow destruction even with maintaining the best I can (I'm not a reel mechanic).

My current disorganized thoughts from above leave me not sure on what to do.
1. Sell the Exsence DC and replace with a nice spinner for my inshore setup to get a little more durability/simplicity.
2. Try out the Met MGL for fresh to see if it'll beat out my new Antares DC on general casting distance. I had a 2012 Calais DC for a long time and was alway impressed with the casting distance, but not sure about the Antares yet.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 am

The Chronarch G gets a lot of praise over on the 2coolfising forum...the forum is all about texas saltwater fishing.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 am

Chronarch G has been holding up great. Havent had any of the spool problems of the CI4 and the rest of the reel is very corrosion resistant so no worries there. The key to keeping the Metanium going in the salt is to clean and relube once a month with proper corrosion resistant grease. Ive been using Corrosion X grease, Corrosion X oil and TSI321 and haven't had any of the issues that have been mentioned on this forum in the past with these aluminum gears. Biggest issue I've seen is guys not relubing from the factory which is not sufficient for saltwater. Have had a bunch of these come through with fried gears. Would think this is because Shimano don't want to put a lot of grease on those MM teeth, which is fine for freshwater, but no protection against the salt.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Had a chance to go out for a little bit today and my fears already came true. Got down to the water, pushed the clutch down...and nothing happened. Put the reel back in gear, pushed the clutch back down and pulled some line out only to hear a not so good grinding noise. I slammed out a few casts anyway and it "worked" but the retrieve was also terrible and geary. Managed to catch a couple despite having to use a corpse of a reel and headed home. About to open the reel up to look inside even though I already know what I'll see. I almost never fish freshwater any more so I don't know that I'll even sink the money into fixing this reel up again. I guess it's my fault that it's dead again but kinda doesn't really feel like my fault. If your method of reel maintenance after fishing inshore is only to wash after every trip and lube bearings often like me, I strongly suggest not purchasing this reel ever. If you are more experienced and confident in your reel maintaining abilities or fish freshwater, this is the best reel I have ever fished by a noticeable margin. My 3 choices now are

1. Just use one of my many other fantastic reels (that's obviously never happening, gotta buy something shiny and new)

2. Chronarch 150G

3. Recently got a friend into fishing and they only know how to use spinning gear. Give them my Stradic 2500FJ+Omen drop shot rod (literally my only non-ultralight spinning reel and one of my 2 non-ultralight spinning rods) and buy myself the 2500 CI4+ that I've wanted for a while anyway

4. Conquest 100HG because it's so pretty, even though I'm not a round reel guy

Anywhere that I can get any sort of a discount on Shimano stuff right now?

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am

I’m in very similar situation. Love using casting for Inshore, and spending more time chasing reds in skinny water than freshwater bass these days. Looking for that reel that casts a mile and is durable enough for the salt. Had recent conversation with Bantam1...his reply to one of my questions was:
The Bantam and Metanium will have the edge casting the lighter 1/4 ounce heads. The Chronarch G and Bantam for durability in saltwater. The heavier stuff will all be about the same given the weight of the lures and the rod selection.
For the freshwater applications, it will be about even given the weights and castability of the lures you listed. I prefer the Metanium because of the reduced weight. The Bantam and Chronarch have brass gearing which tend to be more durable over the long run.

I sent you a PM. You mention how much you like the Met MGL. Is this casting distance, or something else?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am

Steez A, Conquest 100 (HG) would be my recommendations.