Which reel for my Helium 3, 7' heavy?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Which reel for my Helium 3, 7' heavy?

Post by freelancer27 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi all,

I need your help with one of these first world problems. I am looking for a reel that I can put on my Kistler Helium 3, 7' heavy.

I would use the combo for a combination of:

* 3/8 - 1/2 oz Jigs (that I also would like to skip under docs)
* paddle tail swimbaits (up to 1oz including trailer)
* Chatterbaits (up to 1 oz including trailer)
* line of choice will be 14 pound FC Sniper

For these purposes the reel for the combo should be:

* equipped with enough line capacity to bomb the lure out when needed
* refined and sturdy enough for higher resistance baits
* well balanced with the rod

Here are some options that I am considering:

* Daiwa Steez SV 103XS --> 300 USD
* Shimano Bantam MGL 7.1 or 8.1. --> 300 USD
* Team Lew's Pro-Ti SLP Speed Spool 7.5:1 --> 225 USD
* Others?

Thanks for your input guys!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which reel for my Helium 3, 7' heavy?

Post by goldrod » Tue May 22, 2018 6:07 am

Bantam
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

I have a Met MGL on mine and think it feels great, super light. Not sure how well it will hold up to high resistance baits however. One thing I noticed with heavier reels is since the rod is so light, the combo feels off balance. Might just be me though and I need to hit the gym though :lol:

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:42 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:I have a Met MGL on mine and think it feels great, super light. Not sure how well it will hold up to high resistance baits however. One thing I noticed with heavier reels is since the rod is so light, the combo feels off balance. Might just be me though and I need to hit the gym though :lol:
Yeah, I tried my Met MGL 7:1 on the rod as well and I share your opinion that feels slightly off.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Steez A from digitaka is about $370 right now.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:57 pm

johnD wrote:Steez A from digitaka is about $370 right now.
I do have a 6:1 Steez A already. I like to try something new. Great reel though

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 pm

A great budget option would be the Tatula SV. It skips as well as any reel I have used. It does long-distance pretty well, too. The 7.3 gears have speed as well as adequate torque for chatterbaits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 am

I doubt you will be disappointed with the Bantam.

I don't even consider Lew's or any brand really that is not Shimano or Daiwa. I am currently running all shimano though.

So, The Bantam or the Curado K would be my options. The Curado is obviously cheaper but weighs in the same as the bantam and seems to be a solid reel from what I've read. I have a buddy with one and he loves it. I have only thrown a few lures with the Bantam at this point but it feels very well refined and super solid.

If I was going to buy a Daiwa, it would either be an SV103 or the Steez A (which you already state you have one of). I think

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 pm

I tested the Bantam and it was great. Just a bit heavy.

With the ebay Memorial discount I am considering also some older Lews that seem to have a good combination of line capacity and weight.

* Lew's Team Pro Magnesium Speed Spool ACB for 180 USD
* Lew's Team Lew's LITE Speed Spool LFS

Not sure how they are with lures around 1/2-3/4 oz though and how they hold up.

Any experience?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:A great budget option would be the Tatula SV. It skips as well as any reel I have used. It does long-distance pretty well, too. The 7.3 gears have speed as well as adequate torque for chatterbaits.
I have been hesitant of the Tatula SV, been buying higher end only. Got it in my head that the dual supported pinion (Daiwa or Shimano) was important along with other OCD features.

Got to finally try a Tatula SV at BassPro, they are pretty smooth, only VERY slightly less refined retrieve as the Zillion SV TW's. Not a bad reel at all for the $150 you can find them now...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:A great budget option would be the Tatula SV. It skips as well as any reel I have used. It does long-distance pretty well, too. The 7.3 gears have speed as well as adequate torque for chatterbaits.
I have been hesitant of the Tatula SV, been buying higher end only. Got it in my head that the dual supported pinion (Daiwa or Shimano) was important along with other OCD features.

Got to finally try a Tatula SV at BassPro, they are pretty smooth, only VERY slightly less refined retrieve as the Zillion SV TW's. Not a bad reel at all for the $150 you can find them now...
I have 3 of them now, and I really like them. They fish almost identically to my Zillion SV TW, but the Tatula can actually cast a little lighter weight. I would like to have another Zillion or 2, but it is hard to spend another $90-$100 extra for a clicking CC cap. Those 3 now have a permanent place among my Alphas, Zillion SV and Steez reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:32 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I have 3 of them now, and I really like them. They fish almost identically to my Zillion SV TW, but the Tatula can actually cast a little lighter weight. I would like to have another Zillion or 2, but it is hard to spend another $90-$100 extra for a clicking CC cap. Those 3 now have a permanent place among my Alphas, Zillion SV and Steez reels.
Don't forget the 34 mm free floating spool that we can swap with so many others :big grin:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SV103 :-k

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Does the inductor from the Zillion SV TW work on the Tatula SV??? Even if they are overbraked I think it would be a good reel for my wife to learn with. Been really wanting a Bantam, but over double the price is hard to justify.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Don't forget the 34 mm free floating spool that we can swap with so many others :big grin:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SV103 :-k

I had the SV103XS and just sold it in a weak moment because I thought I could find something better. Better for me would be: lighter, more line capacity and better casting distance (that is where I felt the SV103 was falling short vs a Chronarch for example).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I had the SV103XS and just sold it in a weak moment because I thought I could find something better. Better for me would be: lighter, more line capacity and better casting distance (that is where I felt the SV103 was falling short vs a Chronarch for example).
This is interesting, I choose the Chronarch MGL over an SV103, being a 90% Daiwa person I know the SV103 was legendary, but I didn't want to buy another spool and have really enjoyed my first Shimano. That almost 8oz weight has kept me off the Bantam too; the Tatula SV isn't a lightweight but again for the prices it is going, I almost cannot pass it up...