Is there a way to increase the braking force on the OG Steez?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is there a way to increase the braking force on the OG Steez?

Post by SSS » Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 am

PaBass75 wrote:
SSS wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Take the BFS bearings out of it, and put the stocks back in and see if that helps some. Otherwise, you are trying to mod a reel for casting performance that you cant control.
Before receiving the HedgeHog bearings, the stock ones is what i used. Generally speaking, it was about the same. mag dial always set to 7.5+, and even then, you get frequent over-runs.

If anyone has an OG steez and the SS SV, would it be possible to put the SS SV's side plate on the steez, put the mag dial to its maximum (10), spin the spool and see if the spool stops quicker than it does with the stock Steez magnets? Would be greatly helpful!

If the SS SV magnets cup is compatible, and is stronger than the steez magnets, i could simply order it from PLAT and mod my steez with the new magnet cup.
Tried swapping sideplates between an SS SV and a Steez 103..
Spool spin time was about the same with both sideplates mags maxed out.
If there's a difference, it's barely noticeable.
Type R spools aren't supposed to be used friendly, they're fast and can be tough to tame without an educated thumb.
That's why so many of us love em. :big grin:
Thanks a lot for testing it out.

I use the R+ spool a lot. Love em way more than the SV spool. I'm pretty used to them, have no problem casting at head wind etc (on my other reels). The problem is not the R+ spool, but the magnets on my steez. They're simply too weak. I do not have any other reels that im pretty much forced to max out the mag dial to cast a lure. And as mentioned in the original post, that's with an SV spool. Its even worse with a Type R+ spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Is it possible that the inductor is not close enough to the magnets to active at all but the highest of settings? Is there a missing space under the palming side bearing or something? I've never owned an early Steez but this issue sounds odd like there is something wrong with the reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 pm

LowRange wrote:Is it possible that the inductor is not close enough to the magnets to active at all but the highest of settings? Is there a missing space under the palming side bearing or something? I've never owned an early Steez but this issue sounds odd like there is something wrong with the reel.
There's nothing missing, i verified everything on the water, yesterday. One thing i noticed, tho is that my RCS SV Deep 1000 has a very thin and short inductor compared to other spools i have. So i decided to do a small test. I set the mag dial on my steez to its maximum, and spun the spool. Normally, if you were to set your brakes to their max, inside, say, a TDZ, the spool would stop spinning almost immediately (especially when using fixed inductor spools such as the ZPI RC-01 spools). That wasn't the case inside my steez. The spool spun for about 7-8sec with max braking force. Inside another reel that i tested (ryoga 1016), also set to maximum braking force, the spool stopped at like 1.5sec! This tells me that this particular SV spool is just too wild for the weak'er' magnets of the steez.

I'll test a stock Steez 100H spool and a ZPI RC-01 (with the same line, bearings and rod) in a few hours, and see how it goes, but only free spinning the spool inside the steez with the mag brakes set to 10, you can already notice that more braking force is applied and the spool stops spinning much faster than 8sec.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am

SSS wrote:
BigG wrote:I have 3 OG Steezs and have T-3 1016 spools in 2 of them and they are great casters. I a Steez 100 spool in the other and like it also. I would try the 1016 spool, a lot of people on the forum like them.
I did in my older steez reels that i had. From what i recall, it was better control wise. Thing is, i like to use a bunch of different spools in my reels =P~ and not being able to use the R+ spools with any kind of control kinda sucks. If you don't mind me asking, on average, when using the 1016 spool inside your og steez, what is your mag dial set to?
With a 1/4 oz. Pop R I set dial at 5 1/2.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 am

Sounds more like you need to get better at using your thumb. I’ve had a 1st gen steez with RCS 1000 spool and it was nowhere as bad as you’re saying it is. I used the 1016 spool in mine the most and it was also not that bad. I rarely exceeded 6 on the brake dial with any situation.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:Sounds more like you need to get better at using your thumb. I’ve had a 1st gen steez with RCS 1000 spool and it was nowhere as bad as you’re saying it is. I used the 1016 spool in mine the most and it was also not that bad. I rarely exceeded 6 on the brake dial with any situation.
At 6 its its impossible to side cast, forget about casting over the shoulder with a lot of force.

I fund the problem, it was the spool. Absolutely impossible to control with non aerodynamic lures. Even the ones that cast well, if there's any kind of wind, you're done. A type R (the non + version) had more control :!: Never needed to go past 8.5 with a type r spool while on the SV 1000 even 10 wasn't enough. With the stock Steez 100H spool it was very easy to control almost anything with the dial set to 4 (with braid). With the ZPI RC-001 spooled with fluoro i never had to go past 5.5 on the dial.

The orange RCS SV 1000 Deep has a short and thin walled inductor cup. It simply doesn't work inside a steez with its weaker magnets. Works well and casts really far (compared to other sv spools that i've tried) on all my other reels that support it, but unusable inside a Steez.