Is there a way to increase the braking force on the OG Steez?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is there a way to increase the braking force on the OG Steez?

Post by SSS » Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Got a 103H, and i feel like the magnets aren't doing their job at all. I've already owned the old steez reels before and are well aware of their weak magnets. Sold the others, but want to keep the one i just bought =P~

Used it a bunch today, and even with an SV spool and #20 braid, i'm ALWAYS using 7.5-10 on the mag dial (10 being max) and cast control needs to be tightened as well (something i dislike doing on Daiwa/MB reels). I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to use an R or R+ spool with fluoro.

So, i was wondering if there was a way to increase the braking force to a normal level, say, something like inside a TDZ, a Pixy, etc. I remember SLP made a magnet system for the steez, were they supposed to give you more control on a cast (apply more braking power)? Maybe grab the magnet system from the SS SV and install it in a Steez 103? I'm not sure if they're compatible, tho. Thanks for the haaaalp!

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Is there a way to increase the braking force on the OG Steez?

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Could be the inductor isn't coming out quick enough? Maybe install a lighter spring.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Could be that the inner magnet ring is loose. Also, try using grease on the bearings, instead of oil. Packed grease will regulate spool speed, as well. Counter-intuitive, I know, but I did that on a 103 and reigned the reel in very well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Could be that the inner magnet ring is loose. Also, try using grease on the bearings, instead of oil. Packed grease will regulate spool speed, as well. Counter-intuitive, I know, but I did that on a 103 and reigned the reel in very well.
The reel is new, that's why i really want to keep it. I know that grease and high viscocity oil will slow the spool, but i didn't buy a pair of HH Air BFS to slow them down :cry:

About the inductor being stuck, nah, its the first thing i verified. The spool is so wild that i'm scared of throwing 110's :-k

Has anyone modified their magnets on the palming side plate? i feel like that would be the only way of making this reel "normal".

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:Could be the inductor isn't coming out quick enough? Maybe install a lighter spring.
I'm using the RCS SV Deep 1000 spool. The spring is very light.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 am

Take the BFS bearings out of it, and put the stocks back in and see if that helps some. Otherwise, you are trying to mod a reel for casting performance that you cant control.
<")))><{

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Take the BFS bearings out of it, and put the stocks back in and see if that helps some. Otherwise, you are trying to mod a reel for casting performance that you cant control.
Before receiving the HedgeHog bearings, the stock ones is what i used. Generally speaking, it was about the same. mag dial always set to 7.5+, and even then, you get frequent over-runs.

If anyone has an OG steez and the SS SV, would it be possible to put the SS SV's side plate on the steez, put the mag dial to its maximum (10), spin the spool and see if the spool stops quicker than it does with the stock Steez magnets? Would be greatly helpful!

If the SS SV magnets cup is compatible, and is stronger than the steez magnets, i could simply order it from PLAT and mod my steez with the new magnet cup.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon May 21, 2018 7:14 am

I have 3 OG Steezs and have T-3 1016 spools in 2 of them and they are great casters. I a Steez 100 spool in the other and like it also. I would try the 1016 spool, a lot of people on the forum like them.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am

BigG wrote:I have 3 OG Steezs and have T-3 1016 spools in 2 of them and they are great casters. I a Steez 100 spool in the other and like it also. I would try the 1016 spool, a lot of people on the forum like them.
I did in my older steez reels that i had. From what i recall, it was better control wise. Thing is, i like to use a bunch of different spools in my reels =P~ and not being able to use the R+ spools with any kind of control kinda sucks. If you don't mind me asking, on average, when using the 1016 spool inside your og steez, what is your mag dial set to?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 21, 2018 9:20 am

SSS wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Take the BFS bearings out of it, and put the stocks back in and see if that helps some. Otherwise, you are trying to mod a reel for casting performance that you cant control.
Before receiving the HedgeHog bearings, the stock ones is what i used. Generally speaking, it was about the same. mag dial always set to 7.5+, and even then, you get frequent over-runs.

If anyone has an OG steez and the SS SV, would it be possible to put the SS SV's side plate on the steez, put the mag dial to its maximum (10), spin the spool and see if the spool stops quicker than it does with the stock Steez magnets? Would be greatly helpful!

If the SS SV magnets cup is compatible, and is stronger than the steez magnets, i could simply order it from PLAT and mod my steez with the new magnet cup.
I don't know if the SS SV magnets are any stronger I think it is the braking profile of the SS SV spool that is very strong. The IS reels have a stronger magnets but I don't think they can be purchased as a part. Maybe you can switch to an SS SV spool?

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 am

SSS wrote:

Tried swapping sideplates between an SS SV and a Steez 103..
Spool spin time was about the same with both sideplates mags maxed out.
If there's a difference, it's barely noticeable.
Type R spools aren't supposed to be used friendly, they're fast and can be tough to tame without an educated thumb.
That's why so many of us love em. :big grin:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 am

LgMouthGambler wrote: you are trying to mod a reel for casting performance that you cant control.
Interesting. This is why I use Shimano Curado's! Centrifugal brakes gives direct control while magnets are only as good as the magnets... as in no direct control.

Well stated.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:40 am

I've tried 2 SV spools in my Steez. Each spool has it's own personality.

If I recall correctly, the SV103 spool (longer inductor), I have the brake setting on about 3-4/10. No higher than 4.5
The Zillion G1 SV spool, the brake is set higher usually around 6-7/10 up to around 8 max.

I've tried the 1016 spool awhile back and from what I can remember, I needed to run too much spool tension to control it.

I think if you want a tamer spool, the SV spools with the longer inductor are a better fit (Steez SV or SV103 spools).
Last edited by Tony9 on Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 am

you could always run the inducter fixed on the spool. Or take out the copper spacer that is in the sideplate. I do this with my honeycomb spool from MB and it allowed me to adjust 2-3 clicks on the mag dial. It allow the spool/inducter to be closer in the magnets. Only down fall is the spool is not centered.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 am

LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:

I don't know if the SS SV magnets are any stronger I think it is the braking profile of the SS SV spool that is very strong. The IS reels have a stronger magnets but I don't think they can be purchased as a part. Maybe you can switch to an SS SV spool?
As mentioned above, i use a lot of different spools. I don't want to be stuck with an SS SV spool forever :cry:

About the magnets inside the SS SV being on par with what's inside the OG Steez, well, that's what i was looking to confirm! I do know that the stock SS SV spool overbreaks a lot because of the inductor, but i kinda wanted to also know if the magnets themselves are a bit stronger or not.

Does anyone ever tried the SLP Works magnet cup that they used to sell a while back? Pretty sure they're discontinued at this point, but i'm curious if the magnets inside that thing were stronger or on par.