Floro on SV spools v.s. conventional

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Floro on SV spools v.s. conventional

Post by goldrod » Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Do you think that there is an advantage to using floro on an SV spool v.s. a conventional spool and why or why not?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Floro on SV spools v.s. conventional

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Not sure I understand your question. Fluoro is more difficult to cast on any spool than mono or braid as it is denser, so makes the spool mass greater and less easily controlled. An SV spool is good at taming casts to reduce backlashes, but they still work better with a spool full of braid than a spool full of fluoro, like any other spool.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 pm

I have even noticed it makes a pretty big difference to fill even half way with old braid. I always just filled SV spools all the way with fluoro until I recently got a scale and was shocked. A big Zillion TWS spool full of braid weighed like 27 grams, and a G1 1016 weighed like 23 grams full of fluoro. Kinda takes away from the whole point of having a light spool. I just cannot bring myself to use braid on most setups or it would be all 30lb with a few having 40lb/50lb. I'm working on converting all reels full of fluoro only to at least 50/50 or more with old/cheap braid. Seemed to really help my Chronarch MGL and one of the Zillion SV TW reels.

As far as MagZ versus SV, just as others said, SV manages all lines better, and distance depends on the inductor/spool. An HLC reel could probably cast a 3/4 jig further with fluoro than some SV spools, but the SV would be more user friendly.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:Not sure I understand your question. Fluoro is more difficult to cast on any spool than mono or braid as it is denser, so makes the spool mass greater and less easily controlled. An SV spool is good at taming casts to reduce backlashes, but they still work better with a spool full of braid than a spool full of fluoro, like any other spool.
You covered it well
Thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I have even noticed it makes a pretty big difference to fill even half way with old braid. I always just filled SV spools all the way with fluoro until I recently got a scale and was shocked. A big Zillion TWS spool full of braid weighed like 27 grams, and a G1 1016 weighed like 23 grams full of fluoro. Kinda takes away from the whole point of having a light spool. I just cannot bring myself to use braid on most setups or it would be all 30lb with a few having 40lb/50lb. I'm working on converting all reels full of fluoro only to at least 50/50 or more with old/cheap braid. Seemed to really help my Chronarch MGL and one of the Zillion SV TW reels.

As far as MagZ versus SV, just as others said, SV manages all lines better, and distance depends on the inductor/spool. An HLC reel could probably cast a 3/4 jig further with fluoro than some SV spools, but the SV would be more user friendly.
Most people would really be surprised at how they can feel a difference just by holding deep full spools with and without braid backing in their hand. You can tell a difference without a scale. I would tell the various non-believers that braid backing really makes a difference to take their spools out to see. Also, try pitching a light lure. Braid backing really helps reduce weight if you don't have a shallow spool available. I still use backing on all of my SV spools when I have to use more than 66 yards of flouro.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 pm

What is the point to fill the spool completely full on bait casting tackle?
I do it on spinning reels obviously, but all my bc reels have 66 or 75 yards line on on them, and they are usually 2/3 filled of full capacity.
Haven’t noticed any distance been sacrificed that way.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Cracker wrote:What is the point to fill the spool completely full on bait casting tackle?
I do it on spinning reels obviously, but all my bc reels have 66 or 75 yards line on on them, and they are usually 2/3 filled of full capacity.
One way to add braking is to use thicker diameter line or spool less line on the reel.

The shallower the fill...the less line comes off the spool per revolution. The thicker the line the quicker the diameter of fill is reduced.

Bass gear the difference isn't much because the longest your throwing is usually gonna be 150'

Plus you have looser coils associated with the out wraps of fill. And the benefits that come with fewer bends kinks and coils per foot

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Cracker wrote:What is the point to fill the spool completely full on bait casting tackle?
Reduced retrieve speed. As the spool isn't full you don't get the maximum retrieve speed out of the reel. Whether this is important or not to you is another story, but if you're pitching and have an 8:1 reel the idea of the reel is to whip the line in quickly to allow you more casts in a day. If the spool is only half full you might only be retrieving line at the rate a 6.3:1 reel would with a full spool.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 am

With braid if a person doesnt use leaders (I dont) it saves money/line to completely fill the reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
Reduced retrieve speed. As the spool isn't full you don't get the maximum retrieve speed out of the reel. Whether this is important or not to you is another story, but if you're pitching and have an 8:1 reel the idea of the reel is to whip the line in quickly to allow you more casts in a day. If the spool is only half full you might only be retrieving line at the rate a 6.3:1 reel would with a full spool.
This. I even use all 7 gear and above ratio's for cranking and reaction baits now because on a long cast a 5 gear retrieves like 13 inches per turn. Seems to get the crank down better to have a little more speed at the end of the cast, and then you can slow down to keep it in the strike zone. I wouldn't use an 8 speed reel, and if I had more $ for specific setups I would have a few 6 ratio's, but a 7 gear reel cannot be beaten for versatility...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm

toddmc wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I have even noticed it makes a pretty big difference to fill even half way with old braid. I always just filled SV spools all the way with fluoro until I recently got a scale and was shocked. A big Zillion TWS spool full of braid weighed like 27 grams, and a G1 1016 weighed like 23 grams full of fluoro. Kinda takes away from the whole point of having a light spool. I just cannot bring myself to use braid on most setups or it would be all 30lb with a few having 40lb/50lb. I'm working on converting all reels full of fluoro only to at least 50/50 or more with old/cheap braid. Seemed to really help my Chronarch MGL and one of the Zillion SV TW reels.

Most people would really be surprised at how they can feel a difference just by holding deep full spools with and without braid backing in their hand. You can tell a difference without a scale. I would tell the various non-believers that braid backing really makes a difference to take their spools out to see. Also, try pitching a light lure. Braid backing really helps reduce weight if you don't have a shallow spool available. I still use backing on all of my SV spools when I have to use more than 66 yards of flouro.
Also a big fan of using braid as a backer on my casting reels. I usually go about half braid, but I'm thinking about buying 1000 yard spool of cheap Chinese braid and pushing it up to 3/4 full of backing on a few of my bfs reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Houndfish wrote:
toddmc wrote:

Also a big fan of using braid as a backer on my casting reels. I usually go about half braid, but I'm thinking about buying 1000 yard spool of cheap Chinese braid and pushing it up to 3/4 full of backing on a few of my bfs reels.

Wouldn't you be casting all the leader or fluoro and braid off on a BFS spool??? My SV105 with 8lb P-Line Halo and a 1/4oz dropshot weight will almost dump the spool. If it was over 1/2 full I would be in trouble to have a big connecting knot come flying through. On my Chronarch MGL (backing is old Neon Lime 832) I can see the FC Sniper get a lime colored hue on a really long cast... I figure I would see a lot more signs of the backing coming out if I went to cast a 3/4+ lure.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
toddmc wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: Wouldn't you be casting all the leader or fluoro and braid off on a BFS spool??? My SV105 with 8lb P-Line Halo and a 1/4oz dropshot weight will almost dump the spool. If it was over 1/2 full I would be in trouble to have a big connecting knot come flying through. On my Chronarch MGL (backing is old Neon Lime 832) I can see the FC Sniper get a lime colored hue on a really long cast... I figure I would see a lot more signs of the backing coming out if I went to cast a 3/4+ lure.
Hah, no, I never make long casts with light line, I am usually casting or pitching close to cover and my thumb lets me down often enough that I like the idea of removing the temptation to not strip and respool after these little events. Having to kill 60ish yards of line is a lot more appealing then 100ish. I am trying 7lb Sniper on my Alphas FC and don't need a lot of line capacity. Hell, I run 12lb Invizix on my sv105's and with half the spool filed with braid I never come close to hitting the knot. I use shorter then average rods and clearly don't make long casts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Houndfish wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
toddmc wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: Wouldn't you be casting all the leader or fluoro and braid off on a BFS spool??? My SV105 with 8lb P-Line Halo and a 1/4oz dropshot weight will almost dump the spool. If it was over 1/2 full I would be in trouble to have a big connecting knot come flying through. On my Chronarch MGL (backing is old Neon Lime 832) I can see the FC Sniper get a lime colored hue on a really long cast... I figure I would see a lot more signs of the backing coming out if I went to cast a 3/4+ lure.
Hah, no, I never make long casts with light line, I am usually casting or pitching close to cover and my thumb lets me down often enough that I like the idea of removing the temptation to not strip and respool after these little events. Having to kill 60ish yards of line is a lot more appealing then 100ish. I am trying 7lb Sniper on my Alphas FC and don't need a lot of line capacity. Hell, I run 12lb Invizix on my sv105's and with half the spool filed with braid I never come close to hitting the knot. I use shorter then average rods and clearly don't make long casts.
Ok, I get it now. Yeah sometimes I even load up the old Alphas with a 3/8 dropshot weight and really bomb out there on some sandbar flats. I think with the right line diameter and a 3/4oz Red Eye shad I could hunt deer with my Alphas.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 pm

"Ok, I get it now. Yeah sometimes I even load up the old Alphas with a 3/8 dropshot weight and really bomb out there on some sandbar flats. I think with the right line diameter and a 3/4oz Red Eye shad I could hunt deer with my Alphas.[/quote]

You may have just invented the next big show on the Outdoor Channel, only you need to use a 1 oz. spoon with the knife edge instead of a hook. I'd like the challenge to hunt with that.
On a funny note, I accidentally almost caught a coyote with a rattletrap once. I saw a coyote mother and three of her young ones across the canal that I was fishing on 17th hole of the world famous Nicklaus Private golf course in La Quinta, CA. I casted across the canal onto the grass embankment of the canal to see if one of the coyotes would give chase. One of the young ones attacked and I barely got it away because the treble hooks were catching in the grass. So, I tied on a jig and covered the hook with a worm and played cat and string with the coyotes for several casts. The mother just laid there and could care less that I was even there.