T-wing and line holding

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

T-wing and line holding

Post by 5bites » Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 am

When dragging or even pitching while working my lure I keep the line in front of the reel on top of my finger. I noticed while using a tatula ct I actually accidentally lift the line into the wide part of the line guide and of course this causes line piling up in on spot on the spool. How are you guys that hold your reel and line like me beating this with t-wing reels?

FYI I use t3 reels personally and don’t have this problem because the line cannot come out of the narrow part of the levelwind line guide on those reels.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: T-wing and line holding

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am

Line pileup can happen on a T3 reel also. I forget what technique I was doing at the time but it kept happening. I chalked it up to how I palm the reel on retrieve. I was also closing the hood while pitching sometimes. Even though it was comfortable to use I sold it off after a few outings.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm

When I'm pitching, every now and then I'll just make a full cast and reel it in to tighten up the line and spread it out evenly over the spool. Every once in a while I get a fish doing this..... :lol:

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Short of what Boatbuggy stated, your options limited I would think.

change the way you hold the reel or buy a non T-wing reel for these applications.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Just sell it and buy a Fuego CT. Same reel, but without the TWS.
<")))><{

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 am

Either stop doing that with your finger, put your finger on top of the line rather than underneath it or get a reel with a conventional levelwind. :lol:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Just sell it and buy a Fuego CT. Same reel, but without the TWS.
Yep 8-)

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 am

This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

It was just something I had never had to consider before and wondered if anyone else was annoyed by it or if it affected them. Maybe I just need to try shimano again for a while just to mix things up.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

5bites wrote:This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

It was just something I had never had to consider before and wondered if anyone else was annoyed by it or if it affected them. Maybe I just need to try shimano again for a while just to mix things up.
You are not alone in your T-wing reservations. I'm good with my sv103's/alphas/td-z's & old zillions for now, but I really hope Daiwa brings out some new higher end non T-wing reels in the not so distant future.
Between the T-wings on everything & aluminum gears in Steez, There's a good chance my next 'new' reel might be a Shimano as well.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Same thing here. I actually hold my rods using the fore-grip. I naturally let the line pass between my fingers. Not a TW friendly fishing technique. Close to modifying my Tatula - which is very tricked out - with a Fuego line guide.

Karl

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun May 20, 2018 8:18 am

I think ya gotta ask yourself how big a deal is it.
especially pertaining to largemouth bass

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 am

spookybaits wrote:
5bites wrote:This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

You are not alone in your T-wing reservations. I'm good with my sv103's/alphas/td-z's & old zillions for now, but I really hope Daiwa brings out some new higher end non T-wing reels in the not so distant future.
Between the T-wings on everything & aluminum gears in Steez, There's a good chance my next 'new' reel might be a Shimano as well.
X3 on the T-wing. I've just sticking the the old faithfuls.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun May 20, 2018 11:17 am

I do the same with my tatula, I changed out the line guide with the Fuego's.

Cheap mod!! And problem solved. Don't think it cost me $8 clams for the line guide.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 am

Good suggestions. Thanks guys.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:I do the same with my tatula, I changed out the line guide with the Fuego's.

Cheap mod!! And problem solved. Don't think it cost me $8 clams for the line guide.
Funny, I was planning on buying a Tat SV and swapping the TWS for the Fuego Line guide system. I guess it can be done. =D>
<")))><{