T-wing and line holding

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 am
Location: carthage,mo

T-wing and line holding

Postby 5bites » Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 am

When dragging or even pitching while working my lure I keep the line in front of the reel on top of my finger. I noticed while using a tatula ct I actually accidentally lift the line into the wide part of the line guide and of course this causes line piling up in on spot on the spool. How are you guys that hold your reel and line like me beating this with t-wing reels?

FYI I use t3 reels personally and don’t have this problem because the line cannot come out of the narrow part of the levelwind line guide on those reels.

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby Rippin-lips » Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am

Line pileup can happen on a T3 reel also. I forget what technique I was doing at the time but it kept happening. I chalked it up to how I palm the reel on retrieve. I was also closing the hood while pitching sometimes. Even though it was comfortable to use I sold it off after a few outings.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 am
Location: Eastern Ontario

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby BoatBuggy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm

When I'm pitching, every now and then I'll just make a full cast and reel it in to tighten up the line and spread it out evenly over the spool. Every once in a while I get a fish doing this..... :lol:

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby lape0019 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Short of what Boatbuggy stated, your options limited I would think.

change the way you hold the reel or buy a non T-wing reel for these applications.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1798
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby LgMouthGambler » Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Just sell it and buy a Fuego CT. Same reel, but without the TWS.
<")))><{

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby Tim Kelly » Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 am

Either stop doing that with your finger, put your finger on top of the line rather than underneath it or get a reel with a conventional levelwind. :lol:

User avatar
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Ashland, NE

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby Finnz922 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Just sell it and buy a Fuego CT. Same reel, but without the TWS.


Yep 8-)
IROD Pro Staff
Humminbird/Minn Kota Pro Staff

User avatar
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 am
Location: carthage,mo

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby 5bites » Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 am

This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

It was just something I had never had to consider before and wondered if anyone else was annoyed by it or if it affected them. Maybe I just need to try shimano again for a while just to mix things up.

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby spookybaits » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

5bites wrote:This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

It was just something I had never had to consider before and wondered if anyone else was annoyed by it or if it affected them. Maybe I just need to try shimano again for a while just to mix things up.


You are not alone in your T-wing reservations. I'm good with my sv103's/alphas/td-z's & old zillions for now, but I really hope Daiwa brings out some new higher end non T-wing reels in the not so distant future.
Between the T-wings on everything & aluminum gears in Steez, There's a good chance my next 'new' reel might be a Shimano as well.

User avatar
diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby diehardbassfishing » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Same thing here. I actually hold my rods using the fore-grip. I naturally let the line pass between my fingers. Not a TW friendly fishing technique. Close to modifying my Tatula - which is very tricked out - with a Fuego line guide.

Karl

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby ScoobyDoo » Sun May 20, 2018 8:18 am

I think ya gotta ask yourself how big a deal is it.
especially pertaining to largemouth bass

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Lake Guntersville

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby BigG » Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 am

spookybaits wrote:
5bites wrote:This is my sons reel as I pretty much exclusively use t3’s. I had only pitched this reel a few times before and I just noticed what I was doing the other evening. The disappointment is that I was considering selling the t3’s and going with these ct style reels and a couple steez maybe on my dedicated pitching setups. Looks like that’s not an option. Long casts on a football jig etc would definitely cause problems.

It was just something I had never had to consider before and wondered if anyone else was annoyed by it or if it affected them. Maybe I just need to try shimano again for a while just to mix things up.


You are not alone in your T-wing reservations. I'm good with my sv103's/alphas/td-z's & old zillions for now, but I really hope Daiwa brings out some new higher end non T-wing reels in the not so distant future.
Between the T-wings on everything & aluminum gears in Steez, There's a good chance my next 'new' reel might be a Shimano as well.

X3 on the T-wing. I've just sticking the the old faithfuls.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby jjbassnforfun » Sun May 20, 2018 11:17 am

I do the same with my tatula, I changed out the line guide with the Fuego's.

Cheap mod!! And problem solved. Don't think it cost me $8 clams for the line guide.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

User avatar
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 am
Location: carthage,mo

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby 5bites » Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 am

Good suggestions. Thanks guys.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1798
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: T-wing and line holding

Postby LgMouthGambler » Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:I do the same with my tatula, I changed out the line guide with the Fuego's.

Cheap mod!! And problem solved. Don't think it cost me $8 clams for the line guide.


Funny, I was planning on buying a Tat SV and swapping the TWS for the Fuego Line guide system. I guess it can be done. =D>
<")))><{


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests