Bantam MGL 2018

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bantam MGL 2018

Post by goldrod » Thu May 10, 2018 7:19 pm

I only want to know what rod you have paired with the reel and has anyone tried to frog fish with it yet?

I think I am just going to order one and put it on my MB Gambler rod,
Im trying to find a rod that I have already for the reel and not buy a rod and reel .. Thanks ..
My mind is semi made up about the rod and reel so if you have a killer combo with this reel let me know..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bantam MGL 2018

Post by Winstondry » Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm

I have both a JDM version of the PG and HG and have tried them on a host of rods. I threw a 3/8 oz Chatterbait/Jackhammer on a MB Levante Swingfire and it was perfect, I imagine it will throw the 1/2 oz really well too. I had one on a MB Destroyer Javelin and threw an MB V3 Bullet Shad and found it perfect with that combo. I also had one on an Edge Black Widow 733 and threw weightless 6" Senkos as well as an Edge 711 and threw weightless Slim Senkos both matched nicely. Another combo I tried and settled the Bantam PG on is a Daiko Burroughs BRSC68M and use it for hardbody jerkbaits, what a joy that combo is. And lastly, I did try one on a MB Faust for frogs, unfortunately, I feel like the Faust is too much rod for lighter or smaller frogs so I didn't like the combo too much, but I'm looking for a lighter tipped rod to try for frogs and I'll give it a go. Although I did also get a '15 Metanium DC that I'll likely use for froggin'.

All that to say the reels are great, super versatile and built like a tank. I liken them to a low profile version of the Calcutta D series which I think are another great reel from Shimano.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks
Sounds like we’ve got a winner. Not many reels that I have are good for the Faust. Mainly zillion or tds platforms are good for me on that rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Fri May 11, 2018 3:56 pm

I actually had a Conquest 200 on the Faust for a bit and was throwing Jackall Mikey wakebaits on it and it was perfect for that. I'll probably put the Conquest back on it and keep it for light swimbait duties.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 am

Z200 on the Faust woks well. I put my Bantam on an Elseil and threw a Shad Rap 7 and that is about as light as it could handle. Nice reeel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 am

bassm1n wrote:Z200 on the Faust woks well. I put my Bantam on an Elseil and threw a Shad Rap 7 and that is about as light as it could handle. Nice reeel.
i may go in that direction
Today...!!