Zillion Type R to Zillion TWS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion Type R to Zillion TWS

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 08, 2018 3:36 pm

So, thinking about upgrading a few combos, switching over from older non TWS Zillions to ZIllion TWS or Tatula TWS. Am I being crazy? Is TWS all it's advertised to be finally? Have the early line gouging issues pretty much been corrected?

Mainly thinking of replacing reels on my Flipping/Pitching/Jig/Frog setups... What will TWS give me over the upgraded Old School ZIllions/SV103/Zillion Type R's... or am I chasing unicorns replacing with TWS?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion Type R to Zillion TWS

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:17 pm

If you move those Type R you'll regret it... :not talking:
PEACE

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 pm

for those applications, don't even bother friend. especially so since you'll be replacing good reels with good reels hahaha. i honestly don't think there's enough improvement to really warrant to switch. unless you just want something new (and i'm not knocking this either cause if i just wanted something new then i'd do the same)...there is really no incentive for you to move.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 08, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm tending to thing the same, re the Type R's, but was thinking TWS might do better than my SV103 on Frog/Casting setups... But sticking with Type R's on the pitching and flipping rigs...

If TT had the Zillon G1 spools available I would just pick up a few of those :crying:

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Put a Steez 103 R+ spool in the SV103 (or a TDZ type R+ if you can find one) in the frog reel. You'll throw it a ways with ease.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 pm

78Staff wrote:So, thinking about upgrading a few combos, switching over from older non TWS Zillions to ZIllion TWS or Tatula TWS. Am I being crazy? Is TWS all it's advertised to be finally? Have the early line gouging issues pretty much been corrected?

Mainly thinking of replacing reels on my Flipping/Pitching/Jig/Frog setups... What will TWS give me over the upgraded Old School ZIllions/SV103/Zillion Type R's... or am I chasing unicorns replacing with TWS?
Do you have a Tatula? Do you prefer it over the TD Zillion reels?

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 pm

iabass8 wrote:Put a Steez 103 R+ spool in the SV103 (or a TDZ type R+ if you can find one) in the frog reel. You'll throw it a ways with ease.
That's actually a good thought - I've looked at a few spools from the Japan shops - R+, HLC, ZIllion G1 - just not sure which would work better... mainly concentrating on a Frog Reel at the moment so 60lb braid... the 103R+ spools seems like it might be a bit short on line cap for this application though.

LowRange wrote:
No Tats, but have been looking at them. I didn't care for the original but the CT size looks doable... High Speed Non SV Tat CT is one I was looking at.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 am

78Staff wrote:
iabass8 wrote:Put a Steez 103 R+ spool in the SV103 (or a TDZ type R+ if you can find one) in the frog reel. You'll throw it a ways with ease.
That's actually a good thought - I've looked at a few spools from the Japan shops - R+, HLC, ZIllion G1 - just not sure which would work better... mainly concentrating on a Frog Reel at the moment so 60lb braid... the 103R+ spools seems like it might be a bit short on line cap for this application though.

LowRange wrote:
No Tats, but have been looking at them. I didn't care for the original but the CT size looks doable... High Speed Non SV Tat CT is one I was looking at.
If pure casting distance is your goal then get an R+ spool. SV spools are awesome but anything I'm wanting to bomb like lipless cranks and frogs, I use R+ spools. They just fly. If price isn't a concern, then I would order the ZPI NRC PG from the TT. That spool is on my short list. If you don't want to bite that bullet, just get the Steez R+ spool or find a TDZ R+ if you can find one. The Zillion G1 spool is a really nice spool but again if pure distance and bombing a frog is your thing, get an R+ spool.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

I also have a fleet of said reels along with a few TWS reels. The TWS, along with a lighter spool, will help pitch lighter baits (under 1/2 oz. total weight). The TWS helps decrease friction at the spool's startup, which makes it easier to pitch/cast lighter baits. I think that a lighter spool is a more important factor than the TWS when it comes to light duty pitching. The SV103XS makes a great light duty pitching reel.
I think the TWS gets you very little extra distance with heavier baits. I wouldn't bother with my frog reel or punching reel. The heavy (20g) OG Zillion spools will launch frogs 1/2 oz. or heavier. Put a different spool in your SV103 if you really need a few extra feet of distance with a frog. Make sure that your frog and braid rod(s) have Fuji KR concept guides because they are designed for braid.
The old Zillion platform will far outlast the new platform, especially when doing heavy duty fishing.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am

78Staff wrote:I'm tending to thing the same, re the Type R's, but was thinking TWS might do better than my SV103 on Frog/Casting setups... But sticking with Type R's on the pitching and flipping rigs...

If TT had the Zillon G1 spools available I would just pick up a few of those :crying:
There's the issue right there- switch the type R to your frog reel & sv103 for flipping/pitching. Boom, problem solved \:D/
The stock spool in the sv103 works great for pitching/flipping/short applications!
If you still want the g1 zillion spool & it doesn't come back into stock soon you can get essentially the same spool in slp works form(sv 1016 g1) from hedgehog studio, albeit at a higher price.

Personally speaking, imho there's not a reel in the current Daiwa lineup I would pick over the sv103 or the og zillion type R. (If the New Steez's had brass gears it'd be a different story).

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd use it to upgrade your current reels- supertuning/bearings/spools/etc

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed May 09, 2018 10:20 am

so to bring this back full circle, not getting rid of the R's :). I did find a TD-Z ito spool I can try, or pickup the Steez 103 +R from TT. That would give me a few options to play with. Or may just move the reels around as spooky suggested - that solution is so simple, I never even thought of it lol...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 pm

78Staff wrote:so to bring this back full circle, not getting rid of the R's :). I did find a TD-Z ito spool I can try, or pickup the Steez 103 +R from TT. That would give me a few options to play with. Or may just move the reels around as spooky suggested - that solution is so simple, I never even thought of it lol...
You may want to test the waters by picking up a Tatula CT at some point. If you hate then it you aren't going to like the Zillions built off the same platform any better.