need saltwater reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: need saltwater reel

Post by Cristo » Sat May 05, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm sure people can chime in on the newer stuff but I like the older Shimano 200 E Series for salting purposes and species you stated. Not a fan of the newer models but as I stated a lot of them I'm sure would be fine and someone should come along shortly to post hopefully some of their opinions

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat May 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I guess you don't want a spinning reel ? I fish inshore with a Stradic FK 3000.
Castings reels I'd look at...

Lew's custom inshore
Daiwa coastal tws
Shimano tranx 300 , Idk how the curado K is holding up inshore.

speckdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by speckdog » Sun May 06, 2018 11:12 am

Go with the Chronarch G 150 HG, same body as the Chronarch MGL. The G is made for saltwater.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 am

I fish a similar inshore game primarily.
I think it may be difficult to transition for you as it was for me from round reels to low profile.
I use both, but prefer the round ones.

For low profile, I find the revo sx and premier to be good for lighter baits.
For round reels, I love my Luna, especially the 200 size, though the Morrums are nice as well. If you are partial to shimano, I really like the TEGT and conquest lines, very refined.
Newer, larger low profile reels can do most anything from what I hear though, so you may try mounting them on a rod at a tackle shop and see if you like them.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

I use a Calcutta 100D for light duty SW work here in San Diego. While not as refined as a TE or GT, the D series is far from the former B series.