Shimano ICAST 2018

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano ICAST 2018

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 pm

spookybaits wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Old Exsence DC?
Looks like it but in the video he says it's a 6.4 gear ratio, and there's no dc whine.

From what Ive heard, I think they are supposed to bring a new "Core" to the line
That would definitely fit the bill
Wonder what price range a new Core would be in??? Metanium level? God I was hoping for a Curado K 70 or Curado MGL (and use the 70 frame). I'd be more likely to drop $300 on a finesse oriented tank that anything else...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 03, 2018 3:19 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:
Looks like it but in the video he says it's a 6.4 gear ratio, and there's no dc whine.

From what Ive heard, I think they are supposed to bring a new "Core" to the line
Wonder what price range a new Core would be in??? Metanium level? God I was hoping for a Curado K 70 or Curado MGL (and use the 70 frame). I'd be more likely to drop $300 on a finesse oriented tank that anything else...
I cant see Shimano getting into the finesse game, more than they are, myself. That style seems to be dominated by Daiwa, and Doyo has a strong role in there as well with the JDM line of shallow spool reels. Yes, Shimano has the Scorpion and Conquest BFS reels, but thats pretty much all they need. Plus, fir what Shimano wants fir their reels now, and what you get, I dont think they are worth it anymore. You have companies like Rays making shallow spools that fit in a Daiwa, and Daiwas spool swapping abilities, that pretty much rule. If you are one of the fortunate ones that held on to their 50E class of Shimano reels, and kept the spools like Avail and Yumeya, you pretty much had the top of the game.

I am currently in the process of testing the abilities of Doyos line of lighter application reels, such as the Lews Team Lite, and Magnesium Lite. As well as the Abu LV7. Im gonna see how they compare casting and using the same baits and 10lb Senshi as I do with my 50E Shimanos with shallow spools. The only thing I do is not fill the spool all the way up to keep things lighter with the Doyos. This weekend will be a good comparison to last weekend. Using the same baits, rods, and line, we shall see how the Korean reels of the LFS platform can do.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

I am currently in the process of testing the abilities of Doyos line of lighter application reels, such as the Lews Team Lite, and Magnesium Lite. As well as the Abu LV7. Im gonna see how they compare casting and using the same baits and 10lb Senshi as I do with my 50E Shimanos with shallow spools. The only thing I do is not fill the spool all the way up to keep things lighter with the Doyos. This weekend will be a good comparison to last weekend. Using the same baits, rods, and line, we shall see how the Korean reels of the LFS platform can do.
Abu has some pretty light spools out there. Think the new bigger Revo Premier has a 12 gram area spool (with bearing), and that puts it around a G1 SV spool (in lightness). The ALX had a decently light spool, only if the braking system had matched the new MGX I'd probably own one. I figure some of the Lew's have amazingly light spools too, just seems Shimano and Daiwa's braking systems set them far ahead. I have fished a few different of the LFS platform Lew's, and I'm not sure my Chronarch MGL still doesn't top them for light line/finesse. As far as the high end and JDM Abu's go though, no idea, I see a ton of people still with original MGX's w/ spool upgrades and JDM shallow model reels to this day.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

Abu has some pretty light spools out there. Think the new bigger Revo Premier has a 12 gram area spool (with bearing), and that puts it around a G1 SV spool (in lightness). The ALX had a decently light spool, only if the braking system had matched the new MGX I'd probably own one. I figure some of the Lew's have amazingly light spools too, just seems Shimano and Daiwa's braking systems set them far ahead. I have fished a few different of the LFS platform Lew's, and I'm not sure my Chronarch MGL still doesn't top them for light line/finesse. As far as the high end and JDM Abu's go though, no idea, I see a ton of people still with original MGX's w/ spool upgrades and JDM shallow model reels to this day.
Im gonna be honest, I think the centrifugal brakes that Lews uses on the Team Lites, and the Tourney Pro G is nicer than the SVS Inf of Shimano.
<")))><{

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:42 am

I know of a few pretty snazzy reels coming that are going to excite lots of guys here come fall

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I know of a few pretty snazzy reels coming that are going to excite lots of guys here come fall
Casting/spinning? And what price range, that's not giving too much away. Not worried about brand as long as its Shimano/Daiwa, the Toyota/Nissan of reels... Kinda makes sense I guess.