What do you daiwa guys use to bomb lures?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What do you daiwa guys use to bomb lures?

Post by BigG » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 am

[quote="KP Duty"]The sv is for control and the hlc's aren't popular.
Who says the HLC's aren't popular. :D My Zillion HLC and Crazy Crank with HLC spool are the bomb.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 am

trevor60 wrote:I am interested in this topic as well

I noted so far no one's; go to, is the SV103 with zillion G1 1016 or ZPI NRC PG spool. IS the SV103 even tuned not a good candidate covering large bodies of water, bomb casting.
Thx
Trevor
Imo the sv103 with a zpi pg is great I haven't tried it with above 1/2oz yet. It slings well for 1/4 oz on a good cast and I m impressed.

Tried the stock sv103 spool with sv105 inductor hlc spring with a 1oz ball sinker and a 6 inch live catfish, probably 60g plus... Doesn't go as far as you would think.

Rcs 1016 t3 is ok as well but as good as it is I don't think it would bomb cast super far. Did some structure fishing with 1oz ball sinkers with a live prawn. 35g maybe? Good distance and nice control but definitely not a distance champ.

Though I much prefer the OG z2020 or OG zillion for bomb casting.
I think the spool momentum/rotational mass from the heavy 20g plus OG spool make the line come off it a ton faster than the 34mm spools.

For me for bombing I think the morrum ivcb series is by far the longest caster I 've owned. It will sling a 14g wood lure perhaps 50m or so easily with a single handed cast.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 am

BigG wrote:
KP Duty wrote:The sv is for control and the hlc's aren't popular.
Who says the HLC's aren't popular. :D My Zillion HLC and Crazy Crank with HLC spool are the bomb.
I just don't see many of them, but this thread taught me that several folks are running the spools. I'm going to give the hlc a try....the dollar is getting strong again.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 am

trevor60 wrote:I am interested in this topic as well

I noted so far no one's; go to, is the SV103 with zillion G1 1016 or ZPI NRC PG spool. IS the SV103 even tuned not a good candidate covering large bodies of water, bomb casting.
Thx
Trevor
SV103 is just an OG Zillion with a spacer in the frame to accommodate 34mm spools. Performance-wise, there's not a lot of difference over the old Zillions, aside from the plethora of spool options available.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm

I think the question needs to be re-framed to, how trained is your thumb? I'd start with a Tdz platform, as the magnetic polarity seems to be somewhere between an OG Steez and newer SV reels. Kinda that sweet spot that leaves you with a lot of flexibility in terms of spool drops. For baits between a quarter and half, I've had great results with the 1010 spool from an FX. The new Zpi spools are fantastic as well, but can get a little dicey at lower settings. I'm perfectly happy with the 1012 and 1016 G1 SV spools in most everything. Exceeds my expectations and needs. You can only get a solid hook set with so much line out. My stock Lauda will cast aerodynamic baits plenty, plenty far with little concern of a blow up

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Probably my OG zillions with hedgehog zr bearings & IZE hlc spools.
My OG HLC Zillion needs some tlc (sticking magnets), but I'd imagine with upgraded bearings and supertuned, running the stock spool, would probably be the champ.

I'd think one of the 1516 tw zillions, or even a t3 with the mag 3D brakes, set up right, would probably eek out a little extra distance. Z2020 from what I remember did great too, though that long cast setting was temperamental.

Rod plays a huge factor though, so really gotta have the whole package(rod/reel/line/lure) synched up to get that max max distance.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I think the question needs to be re-framed to, how trained is your thumb? I'd start with a Tdz platform, as the magnetic polarity seems to be somewhere between an OG Steez and newer SV reels. Kinda that sweet spot that leaves you with a lot of flexibility in terms of spool drops. For baits between a quarter and half, I've had great results with the 1010 spool from an FX. The new Zpi spools are fantastic as well, but can get a little dicey at lower settings. I'm perfectly happy with the 1012 and 1016 G1 SV spools in most everything. Exceeds my expectations and needs. You can only get a solid hook set with so much line out. My stock Lauda will cast aerodynamic baits plenty, plenty far with little concern of a blow up
+1 for the 1012 and 1016 SV G1 spools. Get very good distance and control in my Steez A’s and modded Millionaire

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 am

KP Duty wrote:
BigG wrote:
I just don't see many of them, but this thread taught me that several folks are running the spools. I'm going to give the hlc a try....the dollar is getting strong again.
This - OG Zillions with HLC spools. Add a 7'11 rod and it is on like Donkey Kong.

Just be careful with the dimpled HLC spool...she can be wild. The IZE spool is a tad tamer and still gets great distance.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
KP Duty wrote:
BigG wrote:
This - OG Zillions with HLC spools. Add a 7'11 rod and it is on like Donkey Kong.

Just be careful with the dimpled HLC spool...she can be wild. The IZE spool is a tad tamer and still gets great distance.
Yes, the rod is important. I have a DIY spool without holes in one of my OG Zillion's. I had been using it with 6'9"-7" rods for close quarters applications. The DIY spool seems fairly durable, and it doesn't seem to strain with fish over 4 pounds. So, I put 52 yards of 16lb. Sniper (the heaviest line that I could get a reasonable amount of) and paired it with a 7'3" rod to do some pitching with a 1/2 ounce jig. Surprisingly, I got similar distance to the stock 20g spool when I attempted a few open water casts. I have no problem spooling the 52 yards of line. I don't know how long the tiny DIY bearings will last with heavier baits, but distance isn't bad on that spool either.
I think a 36mm spool with heavier fluoro helps substantially increase distance over the smaller diameter spools. I fish clear open water frequently. That is why I have a fleet of OG Zillions.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Helios Air, Concept A, Primmus. My 50th Anniversary Zillion does a pretty good job on the right rod. 3/4 oz. spinnerbait, 12# Elite and 7'6" HF Zillion gets some pretty good distances. Gen 1 STX has made what are probably my longest casts to date, but that was throwing a 3/4 oz. spoon in tidal water for flounder.

I consider myself a Daiwa guy since slightly over half my reels are Daiwas. I have been impressed by how far my TD-Z 105H will cast a 3/16 oz. Shad Rap. Not going to set any records, but more than I expected out of such a light bait.

However, none of my casts are what you guys are capable of. :(

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am

The zillion 1016 sv spool has been the best overall out of all the spools I’ve played around with so far. Second would be the RCS 1012sv spool. The one that was available a few years ago.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am

new2BC4bass wrote:Helios Air, Concept A, Primmus. My 50th Anniversary Zillion does a pretty good job on the right rod. 3/4 oz. spinnerbait, 12# Elite and 7'6" HF Zillion gets some pretty good distances. Gen 1 STX has made what are probably my longest casts to date, but that was throwing a 3/4 oz. spoon in tidal water for flounder.

I consider myself a Daiwa guy since slightly over half my reels are Daiwas. I have been impressed by how far my TD-Z 105H will cast a 3/16 oz. Shad Rap. Not going to set any records, but more than I expected out of such a light bait.

I had a funny thing happen with my 50th Anniversary Zillion. I may have broken a world distance record. A buddy and I were on the front deck of my boat casting to fast moving schooling fish with the trolling motor on high. It was pandemonium. I had on a 3/4 ounce spoon with a long rod. I had just released the lure on the cast when my buddy put his rod in front of mine. This caused my flouro to break. The lure flew off into the distance for many seconds before we saw it splash a couple of hundred yards away. I wasn't happy, but the distance was inspiring! :D

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am

toddmc wrote:
new2BC4bass wrote:Helios Air, Concept A, Primmus. My 50th Anniversary Zillion does a pretty good job on the right rod. 3/4 oz. spinnerbait, 12# Elite and 7'6" HF Zillion gets some pretty good distances. Gen 1 STX has made what are probably my longest casts to date, but that was throwing a 3/4 oz. spoon in tidal water for flounder.

I had a funny thing happen with my 50th Anniversary Zillion. I may have broken a world distance record. A buddy and I were on the front deck of my boat casting to fast moving schooling fish with the trolling motor on high. It was pandemonium. I had on a 3/4 ounce spoon with a long rod. I had just released the lure on the cast when my buddy put his rod in front of mine. This caused my flouro to break. The lure flew off into the distance for many seconds before we saw it splash a couple of hundred yards away. I wasn't happy, but the distance was inspiring! :D
Now that's funny. :laugh1:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 am

toddmc wrote:

Reminds me of the time my buddy used a friend's custom CTS.....*which was built custom for him and he's 7' tall (goes by 612 fishermen on the boards)
Sudsy who's 5' 3 hit his foot with the butt of the rod and broke off a superstrike popper...... :)

break offs always go the furthest.....now how we can channel that into a way to get it back....that'll be some cool tech :)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 09, 2018 10:51 am

I did lots of testing last year....and one thing i learned.....don't expect any more than 10% by switching reels or spools or whatever.
From antares reels to steez to mgxtreme2's to dc reels and concept z's and quantums, and others....
throwing jigs, spinnerbaits, jerk baits, frogs, lead, cating plugs.

With bass gear an 18gram piece of lead won't go much further than 275'

So how far is bombing really.

Kinda like that bogus vid where the guys throws a frog 100 yards...lmao..(went 60 to 70 MAX)

It has a lot to do with how low you can go with the brake settings. And how thin you can go with line. Thinner line means less braking.

When going for hero casts should the bait tumble or corkscrew at the midpoint of the cast.......game over...especially with low braking.....something megabass 110s baits love to do.

Best bet if you haven't already...
Clean the bearings and use a thinner oil or tungsten disulfide. Go to a lighter braid. 10lb instead of 30 or 40 and use a pr or fg knot to a leader which should get you in the 20 lb break rating and in some cases higher.
Also try learning different casting techniques. Learn to load the butt of the rod not the tip which 99.99% of the guys do who fish freshwater. Some rods rated to an ounce all of a sudden feel overpowered by half an ounce.

When i was learning how to cast for distance I almost dislocated my thumb trying to hold the spool when loading 4 ounces. Melted the fingerprint off my thumb a few times on errant casts trying to prevent a catostrophic blow up... :)