What do you daiwa guys use to bomb lures?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What do you daiwa guys use to bomb lures?

Post by Cracker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Best bet if you haven't already...
Clean the bearings and use a thinner oil or tungsten disulfide. Go to a lighter braid. 10lb instead of 30 or 40 and use a pr or fg knot to a leader which should get you in the 20 lb break rating and in some cases higher.
Also try learning different casting techniques. Learn to load the butt of the rod not the tip which 99.99% of the guys do who fish freshwater. Some rods rated to an ounce all of a sudden feel overpowered by half an ounce.

When i was learning how to cast for distance I almost dislocated my thumb trying to hold the spool when loading 4 ounces. Melted the fingerprint off my thumb a few times on errant casts trying to prevent a catostrophic blow up... :)
Do you see any difference between 4 weave and 8 weave braid in distance when using standard bass baitcasting combo's?

I like to use x8 PE braid on my spinning reels, and a lure flies about 5-10% more vs x4 braid.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri May 11, 2018 4:47 am

Cracker wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Clean the bearings and use a thinner oil or tungsten disulfide. Go to a lighter braid. 10lb instead of 30 or 40 and use a pr or fg knot to a leader which should get you in the 20 lb break rating and in some cases higher.
Also try learning different casting techniques. Learn to load the butt of the rod not the tip which 99.99% of the guys do who fish freshwater. Some rods rated to an ounce all of a sudden feel overpowered by half an ounce.

When i was learning how to cast for distance I almost dislocated my thumb trying to hold the spool when loading 4 ounces. Melted the fingerprint off my thumb a few times on errant casts trying to prevent a catostrophic blow up... :)
Do you see any difference between 4 weave and 8 weave braid in distance when using standard bass baitcasting combo's?

I like to use x8 PE braid on my spinning reels, and a lure flies about 5-10% more vs x4 braid.
I don't notice any difference.
10% is massive distance....I don't think that would be due to he weave count..There are plenty of 4 strand braids that out cast 8.....and then there's the whole package rated break strength vs ABS.

Some braids seem to shoot better

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Cracker wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

10% is massive distance....I don't think that would be due to he weave count..There are plenty of 4 strand braids that out cast 8.....and then there's the whole package rated break strength vs ABS.

There are so many factors with braid. The suppleness of the material, whether of not it's coated, the weave style, the number of strands, and the diameter all come into play. X8 is in the middle of the pack and X4 is among the last of the bunch for casting distance among the braids that I have tried.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri May 11, 2018 10:22 am

ScoobyDoo wrote: I don't notice any difference.
I'm talking about high-end Japanese x8 lines vs let say PP, Spiderwire in the same diameter.
0.15mm Varivas Max Power silky touch, Duel Armored® F+ Pro easily outcast PP.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

toddmc wrote: There are so many factors with braid. The suppleness of the material, whether of not it's coated, the weave style, the number of strands, and the diameter all come into play. X8 is in the middle of the pack and X4 is among the last of the bunch for casting distance among the braids that I have tried.
Can you please mention any braids you like in top of the pack from your experience?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 am

Cracker wrote:
toddmc wrote: There are so many factors with braid. The suppleness of the material, whether of not it's coated, the weave style, the number of strands, and the diameter all come into play. X8 is in the middle of the pack and X4 is among the last of the bunch for casting distance among the braids that I have tried.
Can you please mention any braids you like in top of the pack from your experience?
Your super limp and thin braids like Smackdown and 832 are great for distance, but that is about it in my opinion. I fish a lot of hard objects, and both of these lines fray too easy and cause too much tip wrap in my opinion. I like a line that has just enough stiffness to tell me when I'm getting twist and I am about to get a wind knot. I currently use FX2 on my frog (50 or 60 lb.) and punch rods (60 lb.), SX1 (30 lb.) on my heavier topwater rod, and YGK 112 Sinking Braid (10 lb.) on my dropshot /finesse setups.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Can't agree more on Smakdown, it's a pesky braid to use, can't wait to pull it off my rod lol - just was waiting to decide what to replace it with. I like FX2 also so I think I will give SX1 a try as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Isn't Sufix 832 actually thicker than most other comparable pound test braids??? I think 10lb original PowerPro is much thinner than 10lb Sufix 832. I think 20lb original PowerPro (.009", .023mm) is comparable to Sufix 832 10lb (.008", .020mm). Not sure about many others, it seems the newer super lines like Gliss, Nanobraid, etc. are more beneficial on spinning reels...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat May 12, 2018 5:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Isn't Sufix 832 actually thicker than most other comparable pound test braids??? I think 10lb original PowerPro is much thinner than 10lb Sufix 832. I think 20lb original PowerPro (.009", .023mm) is comparable to Sufix 832 10lb (.008", .020mm). Not sure about many others, it seems the newer super lines like Gliss, Nanobraid, etc. are more beneficial on spinning reels...
Agreed. I see a lot of braid guys here in the Northeast using it on spinning tackle over casting tackle (aside from frogging). I don't have much experience with braid but want to try it out on my Luvias 3012H for some finicky deep water smallmouth!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Isn't Sufix 832 actually thicker than most other comparable pound test braids??? I think 10lb original PowerPro is much thinner than 10lb Sufix 832. I think 20lb original PowerPro (.009", .023mm) is comparable to Sufix 832 10lb (.008", .020mm). Not sure about many others, it seems the newer super lines like Gliss, Nanobraid, etc. are more beneficial on spinning reels...
Agreed. I see a lot of braid guys here in the Northeast using it on spinning tackle over casting tackle (aside from frogging). I don't have much experience with braid but want to try it out on my Luvias 3012H for some finicky deep water smallmouth!
Sufix 832 has been great for us. Wife caught 16 smallmouth today, majority 2 pounds and over all on 10lb 832 with a 7lb Sunline FC Sniper leader. Only retied the lure itself twice. I caught fish on scattered rods, but on the new Stradic Ci4+FB I bought I used the newly released 8lb Sufix 832 (yellow) and it held up great too. I actually like the 8lb better because it's thinner and definitely strong enough for open water/finesse. She has been rough on 10lb 832 fishing cover for largemouth and it's never failed, with 12lb and 10lb leader (MH/M+ spinning rod). I would say 8lb and 6lb for a ML spinning rod, 10lb for a Medium.

A negative that I have seen mentioned and IS true though deals with the color fading. After one 3 pounder made a few hard runs at the boat you could definitely see the difference in color of line on the spool. Still looks green, just a lighter pastel look than that dark forest green.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 am

toddmc wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Cracker wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

There are so many factors with braid. The suppleness of the material, whether of not it's coated, the weave style, the number of strands, and the diameter all come into play. X8 is in the middle of the pack and X4 is among the last of the bunch for casting distance among the braids that I have tried.

Keep in mind though after a few hudred or a 1000 casts...most braids cast the same. I see more noticeable distance gains on spinning gear vs baitcasters
Some braids hold more water after broken in. This kills distance...sopping wet braid comes through the guides like dragging spaghetti over a plate. Plus it's heavier.

x4 gets sparse and ropey after it wears in allowing it to hold more water. Something that fx1, pp, pp maxcuatro, don't

J braid is the best of the bunch of the spectra patent expiration generation :)

JBraid x8 does 90% of what the other $$$$ do....and often times it's good enough for me. Especially for what fw bass fishing requires. Only time I don't like it is when buzz sawing vegetation.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
toddmc wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Cracker wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Keep in mind though after a few hudred or a 1000 casts...most braids cast the same. I see more noticeable distance gains on spinning gear vs baitcasters
Some braids hold more water after broken in. This kills distance...sopping wet braid comes through the guides like dragging spaghetti over a plate. Plus it's heavier.

x4 gets sparse and ropey after it wears in allowing it to hold more water. Something that fx1, pp, pp maxcuatro, don't

J braid is the best of the bunch of the spectra patent expiration generation :)

JBraid x8 does 90% of what the other $$$$ do....and often times it's good enough for me. Especially for what fw bass fishing requires. Only time I don't like it is when buzz sawing vegetation.
I do love the jbraid, but not in a thin diameter. I bought the 8lb, put it on a bfs setup, and after 4-5 days of fishing, the line frayed in the 10m range and snapped on a cast. I kept fishing and the exact same thing happened few days later. I thought it was a damaged guide, but it wasn't. I respooled, and the exact same thing happened again, after 2-4 full days of fishing. Threw it away, but didn't gave up on the line cuz i did enjoy how it cast and how silent it was on a cast. Grabbed the 10lb, and after two days, on a different rod, it happened again, the exact same thing. Went back to the 8lb sufix 832 and never ever had any problems like that.

Used the 20lb jbraid the whole season last year, not a single problem. But i sure had a bad experience with the 8-10lb jbraid.