300 size reel with these specs

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

300 size reel with these specs

Post by Marcos82 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

I want to buy a 300, maybe a 400 baitcaster reel, and althought there are a lot of options in the market, I cannot find the perfect one with the specs I want. I want a reel that is/has:

300/400 size
External adjustable braking system
Low profile(if possible)
Fast retrieve(7.1:1 if possible)
Clicker

I tought the new Lexa 300 CC would be the solution but I found out it has a centrifugal breaking system i which you have to remoce the side plate to access it. Daiwa Luna TD 300 was another option(in this case a round reel) but it has the same issue regarding the breaking system.

Is there a reel in the market with these specifications?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 300 size reel with these specs

Post by timinmo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:54 pm

I think both the 300 and 400 Lexa HD have Magforce which is externally adjustable. You might check the Lews Super Duty Wide Spool also.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 pm

timinmo wrote:I think both the 300 and 400 Lexa HD have Magforce which is externally adjustable. You might check the Lews Super Duty Wide Spool also.
Yea I am pretty sure all of the Lexa series, even the 400's have externally adjustable braking systems... Check them out good on youtube and google, should be plenty of videos to help you see them broken down.

I almost bought a Lew's BB2 Pro when they still had them cheap. Would have made a decent medium swimbait reel, didn't weigh much either.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:47 am

I bought a couple of Super Duty's and sent them back they are not on the same level as the Lexa, The Lexa is a true heavy duty reel like the Curado 300, the Tran-X is nice but it's a little clunky or maybe just a little to heavy duty after handling them both I still prefer the Curado 300, my Lexa 300 holds up better than my Curado and the Lexa has lots of gear ratio options available. the Stainless Steel gears for the Lexa HD will drop right into the standard Lexa as well!

Kurt

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Hey Marcos, I'm sorry. When I read your post I failed to notice the part about the clicker. I don't know if the Lexas have clickers and am pretty sure that the Lews does not. I'm not sure what current production reels have clickers. If that is a deal breaker for you I'm not sure that I am able to give any advise. Good luck in your search.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:50 pm

The Lexa CC and Okuma Komodo SS are the only current LP reels that I know of with a clicker. The older Abu Toro NaCl does also. They all use an internal centrifugal brake design as does round reels like the Cardiff and Ambassdeur.

Lexas with Magforce have true external control only. 14 Conquests with SVS Infinity and the Abu Toro Beast have internal and external brake options. But these reels have no clicker.

You're probably going to have to give up the clicker or the external cast control. I don't know of a reel that has both.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

I have the Lexa 300 CC, because I was looking for pretty much the exact thing you are looking for. I was a little wary of the centrifugal system, but I've used mine about half a dozen times and I have not ever needed to adjust the brakes, to this point. I just use the spool tension knob to adjust for weight, but I've left the internal brakes alone since I initially dialed it in. I couldn't really find many other reels that offered the clicker, aside from the Lexa and Komodo. None of them had external brakes.

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:47 am

Thank you guys!!!

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:45 pm

tywithay wrote:I have the Lexa 300 CC, because I was looking for pretty much the exact thing you are looking for. I was a little wary of the centrifugal system, but I've used mine about half a dozen times and I have not ever needed to adjust the brakes, to this point. I just use the spool tension knob to adjust for weight, but I've left the internal brakes alone since I initially dialed it in. I couldn't really find many other reels that offered the clicker, aside from the Lexa and Komodo. None of them had external brakes.
Good info. I think this closes the deal. Thanks!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Problem with the clicker is they run it off a gear on the spool
I personally think they should scallop the edge of the spool flang or dimple it and ad a spring detent allowing for an adjustable click and retaining the external mag braking.

The tranx has a crazy rapid ramp up in drag that works just as fast as turning on and off a clicker or engaging a reel that doesn't have a auto engage mech (abu 7000 style) but lacks the external adjustment.

I've been living on my lexa 400 in the surf this spring plugging with a 9'6 black hole nano

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Anybody have any experience with the KastKing Spartacus Maximus?

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:04 pm

tywithay wrote:I have the Lexa 300 CC, because I was looking for pretty much the exact thing you are looking for. I was a little wary of the centrifugal system, but I've used mine about half a dozen times and I have not ever needed to adjust the brakes, to this point. I just use the spool tension knob to adjust for weight, but I've left the internal brakes alone since I initially dialed it in. I couldn't really find many other reels that offered the clicker, aside from the Lexa and Komodo. None of them had external brakes.
Do I need a tool or something besides my finger to open the side plate?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Marcos82 wrote:
Do I need a tool or something besides my finger to open the side plate?
There's a screw on the palm sideplate that you have to unscrew to take it off. I think I used a dime to loosen it, then used my finger to get it the rest of the way.