Chronarch 50E or Curado K?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Chronarch 50E or Curado K?

Post by Kingpin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a Curado K on the way but I already own a Chronarch 50E. I guess my question is, are todays lower end reels better than yesterdays higher end reels? I know there is a size difference but I will be using the reels with 20-30 braid throwing swimjigs and chatter style baits so I shouldnt have a problem with line capacity. Any recommendations on deeper crank baits? Thanks

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 50E or Curado K?

Post by Cristo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 pm

50 e all the way, I'm a lefty of course but to me Shimano really hit a homerun with that style of reel.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Pretty much the only Shimano low profiles I have are 50s. Curado50E, Scorpion XT1000, 09Aldebaran MG, Calcutta Conquest 50. Not a fan of the new stuff.
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Not sure if I get what you are saying? Are you thinking the Chronarch 50e is a "higher end" reel of the past while the Curado K is something less than such? The retail prices if I remember correctly were about $20 apart despite the names. The Chronarch has typically been badged as the reel "up" from the Curado. Now the Chronarch 50e is really the exception to that theory and not the rule. It was very much identical to the Curado 50e.

I haven't grabbed a Curado K yet. Was hoping it would be offered in a 50 or 70 size so I am sort of holding out hope on that. With that said like the other posters I have a boatload of 50 sized reels. Core 50mg7, Alde 50mg7, Chronarch 50e, Cuardo 50e and a pair of Scorpion 1000xt reels. I bought some extra gear sets for them as well. The platform is relatively light, very comfortable in hand, smooth, reliable. upgradeable, maintenance is pretty doable for an amateur, and the reel is about as set and forget as you will find.

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm

I agree. I have 2 of the Core 50MG7's and dont see them going anywhere. I just want to know if the new gearing and other changes make the Curado K any better than the Chronarch 50E. I own the Chronarch 50E and love it but it might be easier to find the new stuff. I need a few reels for moving baits and dont see spending 300+ on a reel necessary for these types of applications. I have a Curado K coming so I will decide after the ice comes off. lol ;)

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Stock vs stock my 70's out perform my curado/core 50's. New brake system let's a person lighten the brake profile much more than the over braked vbs 50's. Xship is also a huge quite noticeable improvement to the outdated 50's.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Stock vs stock my 70's out perform my curado/core 50's. New brake system let's a person lighten the brake profile much more than the over braked vbs 50's. Xship is also a huge quite noticeable improvement to the outdated 50's.
I had a Chronarch 51e for a while and I thought it was overbraked or underbraked, no happy medium. I was running Boca OS bearings so, maybe if I ran stock bearings, it would have been fine. I didn't like the play in the handle either.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 am

I used to own a slew of Curado/Chronarch 51s, Core 51s and 09 Aldebarans. All great reels for the time, but in my opinion those reels have all been surpassed by the 15 Aldebaran, Curado 70 and the Curado 200k. I'm on the water at least twice a week every week throughout the year and have put in a lot of time on these newer generation reels. I'm very impressed with all of them.

I think you will really like the Curado 200k. It is an outstanding reel. Very well built, bullet proof and great performance on the water!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

JDLaman wrote:I used to own a slew of Curado/Chronarch 51s, Core 51s and 09 Aldebarans. All great reels for the time, but in my opinion those reels have all been surpassed by the 15 Aldebaran, Curado 70 and the Curado 200k. I'm on the water at least twice a week every week throughout the year and have put in a lot of time on these newer generation reels. I'm very impressed with all of them.

I think you will really like the Curado 200k. It is an outstanding reel. Very well built, bullet proof and great performance on the water!
This... Excellent! Thanks!

I would only add, the one thing that puts the K on a no brainer list for me is that Shimano has brought down into this mid-line reel the same centrifugal brakes found in their higher end reels. So with the K you can get real close to high end performance at mid-level pricing- and the quality and durability is a plus as well as the comfort level and having a company that stands behind it.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 am

Sorry but but as I have stated before the additional braking adjustment option on the newer Shimano reels is a joke IMHO. To me there's absolutely no need unless you are new to baitcasting or can't utilize the ole' thumb l. Tension knob and one block maybe two on my Manoz is all I need. In addition people like what they like, reels are like cars to me. I'm stuck on what I like, I've tried the newer stuff, sold all but I'm glad they're still putting out quality products in case my 51s and 201s take a dump :lol: I'm sure you can't go wrong with the K model :big grin:

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Cristo wrote:Sorry but but as I have stated before the additional braking adjustment option on the newer Shimano reels is a joke IMHO. To me there's absolutely no need unless you are new to baitcasting or can't utilize the ole' thumb l. Tension knob and one block maybe two on my Manoz is all I need. In addition people like what they like, reels are like cars to me. I'm stuck on what I like, I've tried the newer stuff, sold all but I'm glad they're still putting out quality products in case my 51s and 201s take a dump :lol: I'm sure you can't go wrong with the K model :big grin:
Yeah, I won't be getting rid of my 50es any time soon because I just don't feel like anything new is such a vast improvement that I need to make the switch. If I lose a reel in the drink or drop it on the ramp, then I'll look to going with something new...but boy are my 50es going strong!

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Thu May 17, 2018 10:06 am

I was able to use one of my new Curado K's yesterday and I have to say, Its the nicest sub 300.00 reel I have used. WOW! this thing does everything with ease. I was bombing a 3/8 Chatterbait with 40lb braid yesterday. I made no effort what so ever on each cast and the didtance is on par with my Metanium MGL. I know its slightly heavier but it paired extremely well with an old Powell that I had laying around. The reel provides great feedback while displaying a silky smooth retrieve. I will be adding more.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am

Kingpin wrote:I was able to use one of my new Curado K's yesterday and I have to say, Its the nicest sub 300.00 reel I have used. WOW! this thing does everything with ease. I was bombing a 3/8 Chatterbait with 40lb braid yesterday. I made no effort what so ever on each cast and the didtance is on par with my Metanium MGL. I know its slightly heavier but it paired extremely well with an old Powell that I had laying around. The reel provides great feedback while displaying a silky smooth retrieve. I will be adding more.
Well said! The K got another fishing buddy of mine this past week. Now he has 2 and is adding a 3rd today.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Kingpin wrote:I was able to use one of my new Curado K's yesterday and I have to say, Its the nicest sub 300.00 reel I have used. WOW! this thing does everything with ease. I was bombing a 3/8 Chatterbait with 40lb braid yesterday. I made no effort what so ever on each cast and the didtance is on par with my Metanium MGL. I know its slightly heavier but it paired extremely well with an old Powell that I had laying around. The reel provides great feedback while displaying a silky smooth retrieve. I will be adding more.
Well said! The K got another fishing buddy of mine this past week. Now he has 2 and is adding a 3rd today.
I'm working on selling a Tatula HD and putting one on my cranking rod (7'6"MH moderate), still going for the 7 speed.

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Thu May 17, 2018 11:18 am

I have not used a tatula but I used to be a Daiwa nut with lots of Steez reels, TDZ's and alphas. In all honesty, This reel out performs all of them, it's that good. The 7.1 might be a bit much for deep cranking but I'm sure you know what's best for you. Good luck and tight lines. =D>