Good allround spool for T3 MX?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Good allround spool for T3 MX?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

anteman wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
spookybaits wrote: Man.. you really like talking about that ss/sv :lol:
Sorry bout that, I actually just talk to much in general, and on here... I guess I just talk about that specific reel because there was so much hate for it. Unfortunately I rarely use it much now because I don't crank much.
It's all good buddy, I'm just goofing with ya!
I feel ya, keep getting a hard time for considering a Metanium over a Bantam too, few people said it would be a mistake. Just the aluminum gears in my beloved SS/SV have held up fine so I figure the Metanium's would also.

Back to Daiwa spools though, what is that SV1000 all about exactly???
I don´t know for sure about the SV 1000 cos I haven't used it but my interest came from what I´ve read about it. It´s a fairly light, good, solid spool that handles a wide weight range. Not a BFS, nor a distance spool but a good, "calm" all-rounder.

Btw, how many yards of 15lb braid can I expect to get on the SLPW G1 1012 SV spool? I have some 15 lb Berkley Tracer braid sitting and I thought I´ll start and use that as a "training line"...
More than enough :lol:

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Wed May 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks, hogsticker2

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:24 pm

anteman wrote:Thanks, hogsticker2
Any time. I think you will be more than satisfied with this spool. Report back with your impressions when you have a chance :big grin:

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 am

Minor report. Got it spooled with 15 lb Tracer Braid and after a few outings I must say I'm more than satisfied!
Set on "Allround" and between say 5-12 on the dial the G1 1012 performes very well. Good distances and no bachlashes what so ever. I'll challange it more later on... :) So far only used rip/jerkbaits and paddle tail jigs 3/8-1/2 oz overall weight.

So I'm happy with the spool and the casting but what about that line guide on the T3 MX? (or what whatever it is) It, or something makes loud noises. It kind of vibrates (resonance induced?) when I crank a bait, making a squeaking sound that comes and occasionaly goes, more prominent when the line is under slightely higher load of course, as it is most of the time when you crank with a bait of some recistance ..

It almost takes the pleasure out of fishing it... Any thoughts or ideas? I will surely oil it before my next outing but the level of noise indicates something beyond an oil fix...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:47 pm

It's the Zaion plastic body of the reel. It is very hollow sounding reel and can even amplify sounds such as line being wound onto the spool while under tension. You're going to have to get used to it, switch to bottom contact baits, or get rod of the reel.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Check the bar located just under the hood
A small dab of grease on either side(on the c-clip)will sort out your problem noise under load
Under tension and without lube the bar spins and creates the mystery squeak
Give it a go and report back,essentially an easy fix
Happiness is a sore thumb

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:44 pm

^^^ he knows a thing or two about the T3 reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:44 pm

africanbass wrote:Check the bar located just under the hood
A small dab of grease on either side(on the c-clip)will sort out your problem noise under load
Under tension and without lube the bar spins and creates the mystery squeak
Give it a go and report back,essentially an easy fix
And ditch the braid :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Wondering how that 1012 SV spool has been? I cannot figure out if it is worth double price to have the 1012 or just another G1 1016...

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks guys, I'll grease those clips for sure and keep my fingers crossed... As to G1 1012 vs og 1016 I can't offer any input. I only had the original T3 MX spooled with 50lb Suffix 832 for "downsized" northern pike fishing and never tried it with lighter baits. Happy with the SLPW G1 1012 though, it seems to be very capable and at the same time manageable with the 3D brake system.

Update. Greasing the bar clips worked well during my latest fishing session, no more squeaking!
I'm happy - hope it will stay that way with regular greasing.