13 fishing concept reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

13 fishing concept reels

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm

looking at trying the concept A, C or Z and was wondering which one you guys have, and what your thoughts are on them? Looking at a 7.3:1 left hand. Little nervous on the Z being so new, but intrigued by it as well. Not a fan on the colour but it’s gojnf on a zillion rod so it won’t look the worst. What’s the big difference between a and c

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 fishing concept reels

Post by tywithay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:33 pm

I had an E and an A. I thought both performed admirably, considering the price point. The A is pretty close to the Curado/Tatula, in terms of overall performance. I ultimately sold mine because I hated the frame. The palming side plate has a fairly sharp edge at the top that dug into my palm too much for my liking. If they rounded that edge, I'd happily buy more.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 pm

The C and E are awesome reels. Cannot attest to their other models but for the price the C is a great reel and there's lots of other people who feel the same way.

d_vowell
Angler
Angler

Post by d_vowell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 am

I have an A and a C and feel the C is more refined, but the A might just be the best bang for the buck. I found the braking system took a bit to get used to, but once you do, it's as good as anything else out there.

The C model paired with a Kistler KLX 7' crank, rip, n twitch flat out launches Rapala DT6s, which is a permanent fixture for this combo.

I don't experience the palming issue some have, but this is a personal thing as everyone's hands are different. I love the oversize cork knobs as they feel very sure in my hands.

I'm a 75% Daiwa guy, with Shimano thrown in...but for some reason, I haven't sold these two reels yet so there is something about them that makes me hang on.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

Used a friend's extra 7'6" cranking setup for a few days fishing, it had the 6 speed Concept C on it. With 14lb FC Sniper it would almost dump the spool, actually casted very well once adjusted properly. Now with wind or changing lure size it is definitely not as top tier or easy as Shimano/Daiwa, but other than that it was a pretty good feeling reel. Once again, it lacked the refinement of the Japanese competitors, but after being fished extremely hard it held up okay and overall I would give it a 7/10.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Awesome! All those good reviews got me too excited and I stopped on the way home for a 6.6:1 concept C. Kind of want the concept A, C or Z still for a frogging rod. Just love the feel of these reels, love he look and size!
d_vowell wrote:I have an A and a C and feel the C is more refined, but the A might just be the best bang for the buck. I found the braking system took a bit to get used to, but once you do, it's as good as anything else out there.

The C model paired with a Kistler KLX 7' crank, rip, n twitch flat out launches Rapala DT6s, which is a permanent fixture for this combo.

I don't experience the palming issue some have, but this is a personal thing as everyone's hands are different. I love the oversize cork knobs as they feel very sure in my hands.

I'm a 75% Daiwa guy, with Shimano thrown in...but for some reason, I haven't sold these two reels yet so there is something about them that makes me hang on.
That kistler would be a heck of a set up. Nice light reel, nice light rod. I just threw a chronarch mgl on my 7’ kistler for jigs about a week and a half ago maybe 2 weeks ago and the concept C I got today is for my imx pro 7’ crank bait rod. Balances awesome. Light as a feather. If I hadn’t already bought the chronarch I might of considered another C for the kistler too

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm

You'll enjoy this reel. Whenever I cast a "13" my jaw drops. Between my KP and the Concepts on my bass guide's boats, they're always a pleasure. The effortless casting, and well controlled spool brake system is remarkable. Wait until you see the distance you can get; if and when you need it. You'll be very impressed!

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am

Finally got a chance today to cast the concept C and all I can say is wow. It’s sitting on a g. Loomis 845c cbr and it’s just an awesome combination! A couple weeks ago I purchased a shimano chronarch mgl as well sitting on a 7’ medium heavy fast Kistler Helium, and brought out my 13 fishing envy black rod with the Shimano Curado K on top. Casting all three side by side I was very impressed with the C. The breaking system really is awesome. It didn’t take nearly as long to set up as I expected, and casting a few different crankbaits I can really launch them and with no effort, and the reel would not backlash on the 3 brake. The chronarch mgl was a heck of a nice reel as well! Super smooth, nice and light, and small. Fit well, retrevied welled. Very pleased with both. Will definately get another concept reel