Diawa Pixy/PX68 Alternative

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Diawa Pixy/PX68 Alternative

Post by Birdi23nls » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:26 pm

I use the PX68 Liberto to throw lighter baits. I love the reel. Anyhow, I have been well stocked on rods and reels for the past few years and have not kept up with new designs or reels.

I've been thinking about getting another rod and reel as a backup but Diawa not longer offers a pixy that I can find in stock. Does Diawa make an alternative that you can find in stock? Is there another manufacture that makes a reel that can be considered comparable?

Thanks guys
Jared

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Diawa Pixy/PX68 Alternative

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Keep watching the buy/swap boards... Pixies show up all the time.

oe

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Try to find an Alphas iTo in great condition, and grab yourself a Ray's Studio spool for it (or a Kusougi works spool if you're okay with spending a fortune). Perfect bfs combo.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Birdi23nls wrote:I use the PX68 Liberto to throw lighter baits. I love the reel. Anyhow, I have been well stocked on rods and reels for the past few years and have not kept up with new designs or reels.

I've been thinking about getting another rod and reel as a backup but Diawa not longer offers a pixy that I can find in stock. Does Diawa make an alternative that you can find in stock? Is there another manufacture that makes a reel that can be considered comparable?

Thanks guys

Would a Steez SV TWS be comparable? Anyone know if the new steez can throw as light/finesse as the Pixy? I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for replacements for my pxr's.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Daiwa Alphas Air and Alphas SV. Very similar platform to the Pixy but a nicer retrieve thanks to the aluminum frame and, on some, brass gears.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm

LowRange wrote:Daiwa Alphas Air and Alphas SV. Very similar platform to the Pixy but a nicer retrieve thanks to the aluminum frame and, on some, brass gears.
Do you know if the alphas sv 105l has brass gears? I know the 105shl does. Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm

fishonsc wrote:
LowRange wrote:Daiwa Alphas Air and Alphas SV. Very similar platform to the Pixy but a nicer retrieve thanks to the aluminum frame and, on some, brass gears.
Do you know if the alphas sv 105l has brass gears? I know the 105shl does. Thanks!
I seem to recall it having aluminum gears and being lighter but a quick check shows it is the same weight as the 150SHR which I know has brass gears. :-k. Now I don't know.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
Birdi23nls wrote:I use the PX68 Liberto to throw lighter baits. I love the reel. Anyhow, I have been well stocked on rods and reels for the past few years and have not kept up with new designs or reels.

Thanks guys

Would a Steez SV TWS be comparable? Anyone know if the new steez can throw as light/finesse as the Pixy? I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for replacements for my pxr's.
For the most part, yes. A spool swap to a Zpi Nrc001-m will do so in spades. I would actually call this the closest thing to a Pixy replacement, as it's magnesium and can be used for finesse. Best reel Daiwa has produced imo for power finesse techniques.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:13 am

You might look into the Shimano Aldebaran BFS. I had 3 PX type R Daiwas and after trying the BFS XG sold all the Daiwas. It casts the ned rigs amazing, as well or better than spinning IMHO.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Unimog wrote:You might look into the Shimano Aldebaran BFS. I had 3 PX type R Daiwas and after trying the BFS XG sold all the Daiwas. It casts the ned rigs amazing, as well or better than spinning IMHO.
Ban Hammer :lol: