New Ald 30mgl

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Ald 30mgl

Post by arrowslinger1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 am

Picked up a new mgl 30 from japan. I was worried about line capacity being down. To my surprise I took the line directly off of one of my fully spooled 50's and it held all but about 5 yards of it???

Have my second on the way.
These seem a bit smoother, not sure if they have changed the gearing.
They cast with a much more free feeling. Distance is a bit better too.
Where I would run one brake on my 50 it takes three on the 30.

Very nice little reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Ald 30mgl

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 am

I really wish more USDM reels had at or close to that capacity, all but ones dedicated to deep cranking or swimbaits/inshore that is. A recent semi-BFS spool let me test that theory real world. What do you run that Aldebaran 30 MGL on with (line, rod, lure, etc.)???

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 am

I use three of them usually for lighter stuff.
I use one on an nrx 802 6/20 power pro for jerkbaits
another on an nrx 842 with 2/10 power pro for anything finesse
another on an nrx 852 with 6/20 power pro for light shaky head 3/16 and some 1/4

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:I use three of them usually for lighter stuff.
I use one on an nrx 802 6/20 power pro for jerkbaits
another on an nrx 842 with 2/10 power pro for anything finesse
another on an nrx 852 with 6/20 power pro for light shaky head 3/16 and some 1/4
Didn't realize you were using superlight braid. The semi BFS I mentioned has 8lb fluorocarbon and my SV105 is getting 7lb FC Sniper. Have considered trying to lighter braid, I weighed some full spools and was absolutely amazed by how much fluorocarbon weighs.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:46 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I really wish more USDM reels had at or close to that capacity, all but ones dedicated to deep cranking or swimbaits/inshore that is. A recent semi-BFS spool let me test that theory real world. What do you run that Aldebaran 30 MGL on with (line, rod, lure, etc.)???
I have Aldebaran BFS and Conquest BFS, and it looks like they'll both be my go to reels this season for my type of fishing - finally gonna ditch spinning gear. Line capacity is not really a problem. I had some initial issues with 10lb PP SS, but that was just me sucking bad.
Those BFS reels and light lines are a blast :D

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 pm

kunia13 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I really wish more USDM reels had at or close to that capacity, all but ones dedicated to deep cranking or swimbaits/inshore that is. A recent semi-BFS spool let me test that theory real world. What do you run that Aldebaran 30 MGL on with (line, rod, lure, etc.)???
I have Aldebaran BFS and Conquest BFS, and it looks like they'll both be my go to reels this season for my type of fishing - finally gonna ditch spinning gear. Line capacity is not really a problem. I had some initial issues with 10lb PP SS, but that was just me sucking bad.
I still use original PowerPro and would have no problem replacing my beloved Sufix 832 with it, but didn't really like Super Slick, it frayed and got rough really easy always.
If I ever get school done and a real career going, I will have to get 1 or so (like 5) BFS setups. Had a good day for smallmouth today and got to really put some new equipment to the test.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
I still use original PowerPro and would have no problem replacing my beloved Sufix 832 with it, but didn't really like Super Slick, it frayed and got rough really easy always.
If I ever get school done and a real career going, I will have to get 1 or so (like 5) BFS setups. Had a good day for smallmouth today and got to really put some new equipment to the test.
I have 10lb PP SS spooled on the conquest, using it on 9'6 rod with float for stealhead. It performs well but it does fray a lot with a minor screw up or a tangle. It's going to come off in few weeks.
On the Aldebaran I have 12lb gliss and honestly after using it for maybe 12 hours I still haven't made up my mind about it.
Down the road I'll be trying 6lb nanofil, 6lb suffix and 8lb jbraid on those BFS reels, but I have a feeling I'll end up with regular PP (5 or 8lb) and fluorocarbon (4lb or 6lb) :)

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Had a few days off, been putting it to the test. These things cast amazing. I have been jerk bait fishing in some pretty steady strong wind.
These cast at least 25% better than the last version.
Now if the fish would turn on in my part of the world :(

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:Had a few days off, been putting it to the test. These things cast amazing. I have been jerk bait fishing in some pretty steady strong wind.
These cast at least 25% better than the last version.
Now if the fish would turn on in my part of the world :(
Watched a video where a guy had an original Aldebaran 50 casting a jerkbait about the same as an SS/SV... I still cannot hardly believe that, nice to know the MGL version casts way better though.

Are the Aldebaran MGL reels coming stateside???

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 am

Any idea the spool is interswappable with the aldebaran 50? It would be great if there is a aftermarket bfs spool for the the mgl 30.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:26 am

kunia13 wrote:
How would you compare the 2? I have the Conquest BFS HG but not convinced that I like the round spool. I am thinking of trying a low profile bfs next and the ALD 30 is on the short list.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 am

faheem96 wrote:Any idea the spool is interswappable with the aldebaran 50? It would be great if there is a aftermarket bfs spool for the the mgl 30.
Would have to change the sideplate also to go from Aldebaran 50 to 30(MGL) even if spools were compatible. Doubt the Aldebaran 30 MGL will get an aftermarket, its so close to BFS already and not sure if it is even coming stateside. Then again, they make BFS spools for +$400 BFS factory reels...

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:Picked up a new mgl 30 from japan. I was worried about line capacity being down. To my surprise I took the line directly off of one of my fully spooled 50's and it held all but about 5 yards of it???
That's pretty interesting. I love my 50 but was concerned with the 30's line capacity. I may pick one up soon but I had heard some ramblings on here that Shimano was going to make a 50 MGL for the US.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
How would you compare the 2? I have the Conquest BFS HG but not convinced that I like the round spool. I am thinking of trying a low profile bfs next and the ALD 30 is on the short list.
I had both for under two month, fished the conquests for about 15h and aldebaran for about 10, all on a river.
So, from my limited experience:
Finish/construction - Conquests, no question. Tolerances are better, everything feels tighter, it's smoother (Aldebaran has this raspy sound), etc.
Casting - Hard to say since both have a different lines on and are on different rods, but I would guess the Aldebaran casts better and is "easier" than the conquest. Saying that, I find it easier to dial in and setup up the conquest before the cast (I guess the break knob and tension knob feel better).
Weight - Aldebaran...it's significantly lighter. I can pair the Aldebaran with an 80g rod, and it weight slightly more than the conquest. I don't find the conquest to be heavy, but after fishing the conquest I pick up the Aldebaran I'm always amazed how light it is. But there's a drawback - the Aldebaran feels a bit hollow and less powerful.
Palming/comfort - like them both. From my limited time, both are comfortable and a pleasure to fish with.

Keep in mind, those differences are minor, at least for me. Both are great, both perform well and I'm happy with both :)
One reel's going to go on a UL trout rod, and one's going on a light power rods.

If you don't need another BFS reel I'd probably keep the conquest and get the Aldebaran 30. If you have the BFS bug you should be ordering the Aldebaran BFS....like now :lol: