Good job Daiwa!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Good job Daiwa!

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am

Yesterday I went to a bonfire/fishing party at my buddies lake house, everyone there using spinning rods & push button zebcos. One of my best friends was there with his 7 year old son(who's really into fishing and just got his own 'grown up' spinning combo for Christmas).
We were casting off one of the docks and I said to his son "here, try this" and handed him my baitcaster (Daiwa SV103xs on a x4 black eisiel). His dad looked at my like I was crazy and I said "it'll be fine, trust me".
I turned the brakes to about 8 and let him make about a dozen casts for him to get the mechanics down, then I started backing the brakes off one click at a time.
He was casting that thing like a pro! =D>

All the men(mostly burly bikers) came over and were sharing their horror stories of trying baitcasters when they were young. I did the same thing as I did with the kid and the rod got passed around to everyone for a go, and by the end of it all of them were casting it with the brake on 3 & spool tension loose, and not one single backlash! :big grin:

What's even more impressive(that I didn't bother sharing with them as it would've went over their heads) is that it was loaded with fluorocarbon and a soft plastic that was a little over over 1/4oz!
Only 'issue' was that reeling with their right hand felt foreign to most of them, but I informed them they make left handed ones as well.

I know SV spools are old hat around here(and some guys don't even like them), but for those guys and their kids yesterday, it made casting baitcasters not only possible, but fun and easy.

Just wanted to give a tip of the hat to Daiwa for making a baitcaster that truly is easy to use & beginner friendly, while also still having great performance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Good job Daiwa!

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:43 am

Great story, a stock SS/SV helped my wife learn, now she uses them SV TW Zillion, turning the brakes up will help anyone do it. 90% of friends I see on the river are embarrassed for the same reason, they drive by with a ton of Zebco's, not knowing how to use a casting reel, hell some cannot use a spinning reel.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:53 pm

One of several reasons Daiwa pumps out so many SV reels. They kinda went about it backwards though. Should of started with the lower end models and worked up.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:38 am

I think they started high because the enthusiasts are the talkers. We are the ones in the know that recommend and push products. How many times have you been asked which reel to get.