New Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Daiwa?

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

Reminds me of the old Strikeforce and Excelor reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Any idea on the spool weight? It looks pretty heavy.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Let us know how it fish’s .. the smoothness with load and casting. I might be interested in it for walking around the bay for spotties so I can careless if I beat it up lol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:37 am

Maybe they are just holding off and going to really surprise us, new Z1016 to compete with the Bantam, new Zillion too just for the hell of it (with recessed mag dial), new Pixy SV, so much amazing things Daiwa COULD do, not sure what they will...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe they are just holding off and going to really surprise us, new Z1016 to compete with the Bantam, new Zillion too just for the hell of it (with recessed mag dial), new Pixy SV, so much amazing things Daiwa COULD do, not sure what they will...
Bantam is what, an aluminum frame and side plate micro mod gear reel with centrifugal brakes that struggles to match the casting distance of other Shimanos? Daiwa has an aluminum frame and side plate reel with linear magnetic brake, the 2018 Zillion HD, which I am sure will stuggle to match the casting distance of other Magforce Z Daiwas. Jokes aside, what is the appeal of the Bantam btw? Is it because it is a micro mod, all aluminum, low profile and small reel? That reel will sell in a low volume and does not warrant a competitor platform to be developed IMO. Honestly, what problem is the Bantam an answer to? The my Antares is too big and heavy problem? The my Conquest is still round problem? A Pixy SV? A Pixy SV would just be a geary and noisy Alphas SV. Alphas > Pixy any day of the week and I own multiples of both.

You're not wrong on your criticism though. We just have different tastes and expectations is all. We do need to hold Daiwa's rear to the fire and demand the best and to let them know that these carbon whatever CX80 reels are garbage and we see right through it. I'm also not thrilled by the matte finish of the Tatula 100 and boring new Tatula rods. The old rods and reels were much more high end in appearance IMO but that is a rant for another day. Also, while the CT platform is still alive for now it is only a matter of time before it is killed off and we are forced to suffer the C reels. Right now the Fuego CT is the best $100 msrp reel out there and even the Shimano SLX won't beat it IMO. Maybe a Fugeo based on the new tat will come out to replace the Fugeo CT but I doubt it. I'm thinking Daiwa would rather they keep that level of performance above $100 msrp and force you to eat poop with linear mag brake plastic reel with OEM guts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe they are just holding off and going to really surprise us, new Z1016 to compete with the Bantam, new Zillion too just for the hell of it (with recessed mag dial), new Pixy SV, so much amazing things Daiwa COULD do, not sure what they will...
Bantam is what, an aluminum frame and side plate micro mod gear reel with centrifugal brakes that struggles to match the casting distance of other Shimanos? Daiwa has an aluminum frame and side plate reel with linear magnetic brake, the 2018 Zillion HD, which I am sure will stuggle to match the casting distance of other Magforce Z Daiwas. Jokes aside, what is the appeal of the Bantam btw? Is it because it is a micro mod, all aluminum, low profile and small reel? That reel will sell in a low volume and does not warrant a competitor platform to be developed IMO. Honestly, what problem is the Bantam an answer to? The my Antares is too big and heavy problem? The my Conquest is still round problem? A Pixy SV? A Pixy SV would just be a geary and noisy Alphas SV. Alphas > Pixy any day of the week and I own multiples of both.

You're not wrong on your criticism though. We just have different tastes and expectations is all. We do need to hold Daiwa's rear to the fire and demand the best and to let them know that these carbon whatever CX80 reels are garbage and we see right through it. I'm also not thrilled by the matte finish of the Tatula 100 and boring new Tatula rods. The old rods and reels were much more high end in appearance IMO but that is a rant for another day. Also, while the CT platform is still alive for now it is only a matter of time before it is killed off and we are forced to suffer the C reels. Right now the Fuego CT is the best $100 msrp reel out there and even the Shimano SLX won't beat it IMO. Maybe a Fugeo based on the new tat will come out to replace the Fugeo CT but I doubt it. I'm thinking Daiwa would rather they keep that level of performance above $100 msrp and force you to eat poop with linear mag brake plastic reel with OEM guts.
Very, very good analogy on the Bantam MGL. That is why I didn't and haven't bought one. I got really close, but then realized I could have a Steez A for like 50 more (US Bantam versus JDM Steez) and have 1016 compatibility, same went for a JDM Metanium. I don't know though, I just hoped Daiwa had gone a different way with the cheaper stuff and released more enthusiast level stuff. This is why I am honestly considering selling some old and just going with a 1012 XH Steez SV or a Steez A and using my Zillion SV TW G1 spool. Bantam MGL would still be cool for jig fishing, but my old Zillion TWS handle that fine so I'm turning back to finesse. Also you were very right about the Fuego CT, really cool reel for the price you pay and I don't think the CT frame is all that bad...