Abu Garcia WTF's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Forum rules
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2539
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby tywithay » Fri May 11, 2018 4:57 pm

I wish they put the titanium finish from the Beast on their other Revos. It looks better and holds up extremely well.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm shocked to see anyone with a negative review for the SV103. I will always regret buying one a little bit.

I for one might just be lucky, but I haven't owned a total dud yet. Even my old Gen 2 Silvermax my dad has now still works well enough for him. I catch a hard time for being picky when it comes to reels, and admit I am OCD about bearings, size, technology incorporated, etc. but at the same time I don't seem to have many complaints once I get a reel.

The only Revo casting reel I owned was a Revo Winch (gen 3) and I only sold it because of the thumb bar sticking rarely and because I got like 70% back on it. Everyone hates on Revo spinning reels and our 2 are great.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby Dalleinf » Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm shocked to see anyone with a negative review for the SV103. I will always regret buying one a little bit.

I for one might just be lucky, but I haven't owned a total dud yet. Even my old Gen 2 Silvermax my dad has now still works well enough for him. I catch a hard time for being picky when it comes to reels, and admit I am OCD about bearings, size, technology incorporated, etc. but at the same time I don't seem to have many complaints once I get a reel.

The only Revo casting reel I owned was a Revo Winch (gen 3) and I only sold it because of the thumb bar sticking rarely and because I got like 70% back on it. Everyone hates on Revo spinning reels and our 2 are great.


If you are shocked by my comments - don’t be. I was exaggerating while trying to make a point, which may/may not be clear.
The SV103 is a fine reel the moment you put another spool in there :-)

surge
Angler
Angler
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm
Location: Europe

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby surge » Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
surge wrote:But who and where said MGXtreme2 is trash?

I owned that reel. I had about 50 baitcasting reels from Shimano and Daiwa when I bought it and it didn’t impress me. So I sold it to fund another Daiwa SV103.

I also had a Revo Beast and it was uncomfortable to palm with every reel seat I tried. So I sold it as well.


I have two SV103s. They are crap out of the box IMO. A new spool helps a lot and it is the reason that I still have them.
I have one JP PX68L. It was total crap out the box. I had to ship it to the US to get it serviced by the reel magician on this board for super tuning and it remains the only reel (of many) that I own, which needed that treatment.
I have a T3 1016 and a T3 SV. They were and still are as close to crap as you can come. Expensive crap too. Plastic fantastic. Talk about falling apart. They are perhaps the only two reels that I regret buying. You can find many threads on the issues with the T3s and I agree with almost any negative word in those threads. The Daiwa engineers who made the T3s should throw themselves off a cliff.
I also have a PX68SPR, Ryoga, Steez SV TW, Alphas, Alphas Air, Lexa etc and have few if any complaints with theese reels.
Some Daiwa reels are crap IMO but that does not mean that all Daiwa reels are crap - in part because my “IMO” is just that, my opinion, and in part because Daiwa makes some great reels.
I/others could probably write something similar about Shimano reels. I seem to recall a bunch of people who dissatisfied with post-E curados...

I have a Revo Beast and enjoy using it. It palms fine. Out of the box, I find it a much (=MUCH) better reel than MY PX68L, T3s and SV103s.
Does that prove anything?

(And I do not seriously mean that any Daiwa engineer should jump off a cliff).


So your point is that SV103 is crap to you but a gem to others. And MGXtreme2 is a gem to some and crap to others?

But who claimed it to be crap in the first place? I said it is not worth $300-$500, dglex agrees it is not worth its list price but goes ahead and starts bashing for calling MGXtreme2 trash.

I guess this is what Abu’s cult following looks like.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby Dalleinf » Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 am

surge wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
surge wrote:But who and where said MGXtreme2 is trash?

I owned that reel. I had about 50 baitcasting reels from Shimano and Daiwa when I bought it and it didn’t impress me. So I sold it to fund another Daiwa SV103.

I also had a Revo Beast and it was uncomfortable to palm with every reel seat I tried. So I sold it as well.


I have two SV103s. They are crap out of the box IMO. A new spool helps a lot and it is the reason that I still have them.
I have one JP PX68L. It was total crap out the box. I had to ship it to the US to get it serviced by the reel magician on this board for super tuning and it remains the only reel (of many) that I own, which needed that treatment.
I have a T3 1016 and a T3 SV. They were and still are as close to crap as you can come. Expensive crap too. Plastic fantastic. Talk about falling apart. They are perhaps the only two reels that I regret buying. You can find many threads on the issues with the T3s and I agree with almost any negative word in those threads. The Daiwa engineers who made the T3s should throw themselves off a cliff.
I also have a PX68SPR, Ryoga, Steez SV TW, Alphas, Alphas Air, Lexa etc and have few if any complaints with theese reels.
Some Daiwa reels are crap IMO but that does not mean that all Daiwa reels are crap - in part because my “IMO” is just that, my opinion, and in part because Daiwa makes some great reels.
I/others could probably write something similar about Shimano reels. I seem to recall a bunch of people who dissatisfied with post-E curados...

I have a Revo Beast and enjoy using it. It palms fine. Out of the box, I find it a much (=MUCH) better reel than MY PX68L, T3s and SV103s.
Does that prove anything?

(And I do not seriously mean that any Daiwa engineer should jump off a cliff).


So your point is that SV103 is crap to you but a gem to others. And MGXtreme2 is a gem to some and crap to others?

But who claimed it to be crap in the first place? I said it is not worth $300-$500, dglex agrees it is not worth its list price but goes ahead and starts bashing for calling MGXtreme2 trash.

I guess this is what Abu’s cult following looks like.


Yes, my point is that we all have different opinions with regard to various reels and companies. I am not part of an ABU cult but merely arguing that all companies make sour grapes and fine wines. You can find good ABU stuff too - if you look. Cheers M

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:10 am

I have a few friends with plenty of money, could fish anything, but buy all Lew's equipment. Even bought the dang line they made for a while. Just personal preference for the most part I guess. Same as a someone buying only Chevy or Ford their whole lives regardless who is perceived overall better at the time. Or better yet in our case, someone picking either Nissan or Toyota.

Off topic, if that were the case, would Nissan be Daiwa and Shimano Toyota?

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1741
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby LgMouthGambler » Sat May 12, 2018 7:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I have a few friends with plenty of money, could fish anything, but buy all Lew's equipment. Even bought the dang line they made for a while. Just personal preference for the most part I guess. Same as a someone buying only Chevy or Ford their whole lives regardless who is perceived overall better at the time. Or better yet in our case, someone picking either Nissan or Toyota.

Off topic, if that were the case, would Nissan be Daiwa and Shimano Toyota?


Ugh, Nissans are crap. Please, use Honda and Toyota for comparisons sake. :lol:
<")))><{

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby Dalleinf » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am

surge wrote:Dalleinf, Abu did great with their Ambassadeurs and with their first low profile reels. But they stopped innovating long time ago. I’ve skimmed through their reels feature lists and there is nothing new or distinctive.

Their reels are nice as long as they are not overpriced.


I fully agree with you that ABUs are nice as long as they are not overpriced. That goes for most products. I have noted that som ABUs, eg MGXtreme, are more expensive in the US than in the EU. Again, at US list price, I would look at other reels...

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby runmax08 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 am

Hmm......What a powerful life lesson when comparing Abu Garcia with other reels. "The MGXTREME2 for a good price would be fun, but stock versus stock price the Steez hands down wins. Think a Tackle Advisors youtube test had the MGXTREME2 out casting the Steez and a high end Shimano though....." Sound familiar?

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby SSS » Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
surge wrote:But who and where said MGXtreme2 is trash?

I owned that reel. I had about 50 baitcasting reels from Shimano and Daiwa when I bought it and it didn’t impress me. So I sold it to fund another Daiwa SV103.

I also had a Revo Beast and it was uncomfortable to palm with every reel seat I tried. So I sold it as well.


I have two SV103s. They are crap out of the box IMO. A new spool helps a lot and it is the reason that I still have them.
I have one JP PX68L. It was total crap out the box. I had to ship it to the US to get it serviced by the reel magician on this board for super tuning and it remains the only reel (of many) that I own, which needed that treatment.
I have a T3 1016 and a T3 SV. They were and still are as close to crap as you can come. Expensive crap too. Plastic fantastic. Talk about falling apart. They are perhaps the only two reels that I regret buying. You can find many threads on the issues with the T3s and I agree with almost any negative word in those threads. The Daiwa engineers who made the T3s should throw themselves off a cliff.
I also have a PX68SPR, Ryoga, Steez SV TW, Alphas, Alphas Air, Lexa etc and have few if any complaints with theese reels.
Some Daiwa reels are crap IMO but that does not mean that all Daiwa reels are crap - in part because my “IMO” is just that, my opinion, and in part because Daiwa makes some great reels.
I/others could probably write something similar about Shimano reels. I seem to recall a bunch of people who dissatisfied with post-E curados...

I have a Revo Beast and enjoy using it. It palms fine. Out of the box, I find it a much (=MUCH) better reel than MY PX68L, T3s and SV103s.
Does that prove anything?

(And I do not seriously mean that any Daiwa engineer should jump off a cliff).
SV103 and PX68 crap out of the box? :laugh1: and i thought i've heard everything. Next thing will be Steez 2016 is crap out of the box.

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby SSS » Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm

runmax08 wrote:Hmm......What a powerful life lesson when comparing Abu Garcia with other reels. "The MGXTREME2 for a good price would be fun, but stock versus stock price the Steez hands down wins. Think a Tackle Advisors youtube test had the MGXTREME2 out casting the Steez and a high end Shimano though....." Sound familiar?
Does is really matter that some guy on youtube (a cool dude that i follow, tho) outcasted X reel with another Y reel? On a steez, you have access to a metric ton of different spools. Put a type r+ spool inside the steez and we'll see how mgx2 is gonna be outcasting it. Not to mention that a stock steez tw comes with an sv spool, and those are made for control, not distance.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby Dalleinf » Sat May 12, 2018 1:44 pm

SSS, no, the 2016 Steez is fine. Expensive, but fine. Do you own all three reels?

As noted, and painstakingly obvious, I exaggerated a bit. Hope you did too.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby mark poulson » Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I wanted to see what a sub-5 oz reel felt like, so I bought an MGXtreme2 for half price, because I'm cheap.
That, along with the 13 Fishing Concept Z reel, were my presents to myself.
I read that the MGXtreme2 had a weak drag, so I tightened it down and it is fine. I don't know how it would hold up to salt water fish, but it handles bass just fine.
I actually took one of the old Gen 1 Premier's drag washers, the one under the main gear, and sanded it down so it fit flush inside the MGXtreme2 drag washer, and it helped increase the drag.
I enjoy fishing that reel. It casts great, palms well, and is a pleasure to fish.
I haven't caught enough fish with the Concept Z reel to have an opinion of it's performance under load, but it is smooth and quiet, and casts great.

dgalex
Angler
Angler
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 am

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby dgalex » Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for you input Mr. Poulson...

Don't ya love a pointless argument? Especially all the hyperbole. A reel, or an entire brand must be great, or crap. Thumbs up, thumbs down. I agree, trolling is hard to do without hyperbole. Not nearly as much attention to a post if you just report the strengths and weaknesses of a reel. I get it. That said, I should've given credit where credit is due. After re-reading SSS' original post over a cold one, In find it actually pretty funny:

"...painting their reels with Walmart $5 spray cans?"
"...tolerances so bad that it can be used as a Maracas in a Mexican party."
"...garbage square EVA knobs that you'd see in a No Name Chinese reel sold for $15?"

Although the tolerances in my MGxtreme2 seem fine to me, that's a damn funny line! "Funny" pretty much trumps everything else for me, so I hereby withdraw my original complaint about about all the trash talking. My apologies.

For the record, if I were join a cult, it would be a lot more fun than some fishing tackle cult. Geeeez.

Have a great weekend!

David in OK

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Postby SSS » Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Dalleinf wrote:SSS, no, the 2016 Steez is fine. Expensive, but fine. Do you own all three reels?

As noted, and painstakingly obvious, I exaggerated a bit. Hope you did too.
I currently own 2 original mgx's, 1 lt6 and an ltz. Other than the LTZ, i bought them used for cheap, and for the price i paid, they're worth it. For what Abu tries/tried to sell em, its beyond ridiculous. They don't even use any tech, its just linear magnets in most reels, and they're made in Korea. I don't believe its expensive for Abu to make these reels, but their MSRP is as high as what you'd get from a piece of art such as a Conquest, metanium, ryoga, steez, etc. People say Megabass is overpriced. No, its Abu that's overpriced. Overpriced as hell for what they offer.


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests