Abu Garcia WTF's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Post by Dink Dawg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

One can always send the R&D for Reel Design at Pure Fishing an email and ask them. It's always nice to go to the source and get an informed reply.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Normware wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Revo is a good reel. Call it OEM all day long. Call it a Korea reel all day long. Revo is the Honey Badger of reels. It don't care. If you screw it up, Abu send you a new one.
Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4. Solid.
Why is your avatar TEAM DAIWA :confused:
I thought I'd changed it to no avatar but I flip back and forth between the two. Currently, I'm using Abu spinning and Daiwa casting.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 am

Guess you wouldn't agree with Cals review on possibly the highest rated reel I've ever seen on TT. :lol:
http://tackletour.com/reviewaburevo4X.html

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:49 am

domthewon wrote:Guess you wouldn't agree with Cals review on possibly the highest rated reel I've ever seen on TT. :lol:
I don't know. That really makes me want one. Sh*t. :-s
This is the way.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm

domthewon wrote:Guess you wouldn't agree with Cals review on possibly the highest rated reel I've ever seen on TT. :lol:
hah i was just reading the review. Then again, its a $99 reel, may be good for its price range, but certainly not something will ever replace an Alphas, Metanium, etc.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Expensive items never score as well, because the "price" rating will bring down the average.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Damn. Just spent $200 on I’ze Light. Should have bought 2 Revos instead.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 am

Anyone tried the new Gen 4 Premier??? Had a friend with a Gen 3 that he swore casted everything (down to an 1/8) pretty good...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:53 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Anyone tried the new Gen 4 Premier??? Had a friend with a Gen 3 that he swore casted everything (down to an 1/8) pretty good...
If its anything like my JDM LV7, its awesome. I know the Premier is on the bigger frame like the X, SX, S, STX.
<")))><{

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm

SSS wrote:
hah i was just reading the review. Then again, its a $99 reel, may be good for its price range, but certainly not something will ever replace an Alphas, Metanium, etc.
Agreed! I would take either of those any day.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:18 pm

tywithay wrote:
Expensive items never score as well, because the "price" rating will bring down the average.
Yeah I've noticed that in the reviews, also the lack of color options of the reel, and how difficult they are to acquire can score some negative marks. LOL
I'm sure it is a good reel for the price point, but if $99 was my budget I would be grabbing a tatula of some sort on the big auction site for reduced price personally.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 am

domthewon wrote:
tywithay wrote:
Yeah I've noticed that in the reviews, also the lack of color options of the reel, and how difficult they are to acquire can score some negative marks. LOL
I'm sure it is a good reel for the price point, but if $99 was my budget I would be grabbing a tatula of some sort on the big auction site for reduced price personally.
Yeah, but you can't get a 5 speed Tatula lefty, and you wouldn't get that monster pinion gear.
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 am

My first bass baitcaster was an abu and it was pure trash. I bought a ambassador as a back up to my Calcutta 400 for musky fishing. I would used it 5% of the time casting and for soaking suckers(so letting out 8-12ft of line out the back of the boat and reeling a sucker back). within a couple months a piece of plastic popped of the top and a knob came of a handle, then the reel just stopped working all together. The thumbar wouldnt fully disengage the handle and I lost a 15lb musky cause the drag crapped out. My friend bought a vendetta rod for his gf.. Literally the first fish after she handed him the rod so he could try it the tip broke on a hookset. Abu Garcia is a complete joke, don't waste your money. Buy daiwa or shimano.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Obz wrote:My first bass baitcaster was an abu and it was pure trash. I bought a ambassador as a back up to my Calcutta 400 for musky fishing. I would used it 5% of the time casting and for soaking suckers(so letting out 8-12ft of line out the back of the boat and reeling a sucker back). within a couple months a piece of plastic popped of the top and a knob came of a handle, then the reel just stopped working all together. The thumbar wouldnt fully disengage the handle and I lost a 15lb musky cause the drag crapped out. My friend bought a vendetta rod for his gf.. Literally the first fish after she handed him the rod so he could try it the tip broke on a hookset. Abu Garcia is a complete joke, don't waste your money. Buy daiwa or shimano.
Me too i broke a tip on a Vendetta while setting a hook on a 2lb walleye, and that was my 2nd or 3rd time using the rod. One of the worse rods i have ever purchased. The only Abu rod is currently own is the older JDM Hornet Killer Bee, and its great, never had any issues with it.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:57 pm

SSS wrote:
Obz wrote:My first bass baitcaster was an abu and it was pure trash. I bought a ambassador as a back up to my Calcutta 400 for musky fishing. I would used it 5% of the time casting and for soaking suckers(so letting out 8-12ft of line out the back of the boat and reeling a sucker back). within a couple months a piece of plastic popped of the top and a knob came of a handle, then the reel just stopped working all together. The thumbar wouldnt fully disengage the handle and I lost a 15lb musky cause the drag crapped out. My friend bought a vendetta rod for his gf.. Literally the first fish after she handed him the rod so he could try it the tip broke on a hookset. Abu Garcia is a complete joke, don't waste your money. Buy daiwa or shimano.
Me too i broke a tip on a Vendetta while setting a hook on a 2lb walleye, and that was my 2nd or 3rd time using the rod. One of the worse rods i have ever purchased. The only Abu rod is currently own is the older JDM Hornet Killer Bee, and its great, never had any issues with it.
All of the lower end Abu rods I've used felt pretty awful. I haven't had any break, but the tapers were terrible. No real tip action at all. Just graphite dowel rods. I do have a couple of Fantasista Regista rods and they actually feel pretty dang good. Maybe jdm Abu has upped the ante? I haven't tried any other Abu rods in a few years, but people seem to like them, so...good on them.