Abu Garcia WTF's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Abu Garcia WTF's

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 pm

1- Why are their reels still don't have a bearing supported pinion gear? ](*,)

2- Are they painting their reels with Walmart $5 spray cans? No joke, i see those $20 Chinese reels have better paint quality AND paint job. This is just sad.

3- Why are the tolerances so bad that it can be used as a Maracas in a Mexican party?

4- Why are their carbon handles as heavy as a standard Shimano/Daiwa handle? last time i checked, we were supposed to cut some weight when using a carbon handle ](*,)

5- Why are their centrifugal systems inside gen 1 MGX (and probably many more models) can't be turned off??? Why do i need to remove the whole plastic ring, pull out a couple of braking shoes to have longer casting distance? ](*,)

6- Why are they all equiped with these garbage square EVA knobs that you'd see in a No Name Chinese reel sold for $15? The most laughable part is that you see these same knobs on all the high end Abu's, not just some cheap stuff they have.

Am i the only one being triggered by this? How is this company being considered as being one of the "big 3" when they are this flawed compared to the other two? :crying:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:52 pm

All you can do is vote with your $$$
This is the way.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 pm

poisonokie wrote:All you can do is vote with your $$$
Well of course. Its just that they're so far behind the other two, that there shouldn't be a "big three" but a "big two", unless Megabass replaces abu for the big three.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 am

I don't think Abu is considered big 3, but Pure Fishing is, because there's a ton of stuff under the umbrella. PF is actually the biggest of the 3.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:49 am

Im digging the Gen4s. The SX I got is really smooth, and casts really nice. I tore into it and tuned it a bit. No problems with it so far. Also, the JDM LV7 I got is a sweet little light bait caster. Its magnetic brakes and light spool, make it really easy to dial in and cast lighter baits. I tore into it and dual bearing supported the levelwind, and that makes a huge difference.
<")))><{

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 am

Wow........Im still using the original Revo STXs that were released back in 2007. That was and still is the best release of a low profile reel ever....IMO..............I use all the brands conquests and tdzs and their great reels. However when it comes to cranking power and torque no one can match the STX. Also 20 lbs of drag force. Try cranking any large Bill Norman crankbait with a low profile Daiwa or Shimano...........

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:09 am

runmax08 wrote:Wow........Im still using the original Revo STXs that were released back in 2007. That was and still is the best release of a low profile reel ever....IMO..............I use all the brands conquests and tdzs and their great reels. However when it comes to cranking power and torque no one can match the STX. Also 20 lbs of drag force. Try cranking any large Bill Norman crankbait with a low profile Daiwa or Shimano...........
This here is spot on. Even my Gen 3 Revo Winch (sold it due to issues) had immense torque. It had a massive main gear and that helped... But it didn't hold a candle to a friend's 5.5 Zillion TWS (not taking from the original Revo's, they were aluminum tanks). I have no idea why they do not dual support pinion gears, even though some of Abu's reel's will turn freely without a spool inserted.

If I was Abu or Lew's (both Doyo made I think) I would have my manufacturer dual support the pinion, main gear, tighten tolerances, and lighten spools/engineer better braking and then they should be right on par with Daiwa/Shimano. I hate to say it because I like my 2 Abu spinning reels alright, but they seem more worried about SELLING equipment than making top tier equipment anymore. Thing is, as long as a company IS still selling well, they have no incentive to push technology.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 am

Am i the only one bothered by the quality of paint they're using on all their high end reel? You compare it to something like the Aldebaran BFS and its like light years ahead. Shimano uses automotive paint. Abu uses Great Value spray cans from your local hardware store :lol:

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 am

I have a friend who has three high end spinning reels from them (Premier, Revo Rocket and Premier MGX - all $200+ reels) and they seem awesome. the Premier MGX has a carbon handle which makes it really light.

I would venture to say that currently, their spinning reels have eclipsed their baitcasters??

Would anyone else agree?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Hulkster wrote:I have a friend who has three high end spinning reels from them (Premier, Revo Rocket and Premier MGX - all $200+ reels) and they seem awesome. the Premier MGX has a carbon handle which makes it really light.

I would venture to say that currently, their spinning reels have eclipsed their baitcasters??

Would anyone else agree?
Have never even tried their high end spinning reels so i wouldn't know. But prior to 2016, i heard bad things about em.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:28 pm

I have one abu, and that is the Gen 2 premier and I love it for what I use it for.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Hulkster wrote:I have a friend who has three high end spinning reels from them (Premier, Revo Rocket and Premier MGX - all $200+ reels) and they seem awesome. the Premier MGX has a carbon handle which makes it really light.

Would anyone else agree?
I think so, bought a STX20 because they sent me a bunch of Villain 2.0's for just shipping charges, said I would give them another chance (for spinning) because of customer service alone. I liked mine but felt bad because I honestly still liked my Stradic Ci4+FA better. My wife's gen1 Revo Premier spinning broke and they sent her a new 2016 Premier30 Gen2 for free. It has been good so far and fought many smallmouth, I think it feels pretty good but prefer my StradicFA & FB to it; she cannot feel the difference.
For $250 the Japanese offerings are better, but for a replacement our Premier30 spinning has been amazing.

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:57 am

I still have a gen 1 SX and a gen 2 SX. Those two reels are tanks, especially the gen 2. Bought them on their release years and still pluggin' along nicely. But yeah, somewhere along the way Abu lost me.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Had Revo MGXtreme2 briefly. Fished with it, inspected the quality of this reel and sold it. Paid around $200 for it and sold for the same price. Paying $300-$500 for this reel is beyond me.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm

runmax08 wrote:Wow........Im still using the original Revo STXs that were released back in 2007. That was and still is the best release of a low profile reel ever....IMO..............I use all the brands conquests and tdzs and their great reels. However when it comes to cranking power and torque no one can match the STX. Also 20 lbs of drag force. Try cranking any large Bill Norman crankbait with a low profile Daiwa or Shimano...........
I cranked DD22's and 6XD's for a few years with a TD-Z, not an issue. I sold off my Revo SX, the only thing worthwhile on it was the drag, but $7 later and my TD-Z was stronger and smoother thanks to carbontex. PF reels leave a lot to be desired. They definitely work for some though!
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm