td luna 300 question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
megamusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

td luna 300 question

Post by megamusky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:40 am

hey guys
was just wondering if the daiwa have been upgraded since let' say 8 years :?: im asking it because i was in love with that reel for pulling big lures but the durability was really not that good vs a calcutta te.it must be related to some gears i guess :?: do you think the new LEXA-WN400PWR-P could be more durable ?
cheers

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: td luna 300 question

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 am

Probably. The gears are probably bigger. If you're really concerned with durability you could go with the Lexa HD which has stainless gears.

As far as the Luna goes, they're the same. It's possible to change the plastic bushing beside the roller clutch to a ball bearing, at least on the 103, and if you upgrade to a swept handle loaded with bearings the reel will feel much smoother for longer. The only bummer is that the levelwind isn't bearing supported, which is baffling on a non-disengaging levelwind reel, and even more so on the engaged levelwind of the 300.

I still love my Luna, though.
This is the way.

megamusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by megamusky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:31 am

thanks ,you got a good point the older model have stainless steel gear.was sure the newer model would get some better feature,but other than the super look it look like a downgrade.as right handed the only problem they have not make lefty for the model that i want.they have lefty model of all the rest of the series.oh daiwa i want to love you so much because i think you give more for the money but at the end lil things like that force me to return to shimano :crying:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:44 pm

I feel your pain as a fellow lefty reel user. That's the main reason I got that Luna 103L for a cranking reel. I didn't want to pay for the JDM Zillion TWS 5.5:1 lefty. I still almost bought one from TW when they were deeply discounted, but I successfully beat the bait monkey back for a change.
This is the way.

megamusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by megamusky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:47 pm

i was tired to fight big fish with my weaker arm,same thing for hook setting.i get used to it after just one day.many guys are using lefty spinning reel but right handed casting reel. weirdest thing in the whole industry ,imo it's just so unnatural, but to each is own

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:52 pm

megamusky wrote:i was tired to fight big fish with my weaker arm,same thing for hook setting.i get used to it after just one day.many guys are using lefty spinning reel but right handed casting reel. weirdest thing in the whole industry ,imo it's just so unnatural, but to each is own
Word.
This is the way.

megamusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by megamusky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 pm

as you can see english is not my main language.

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:00 am

I have a Daiwa Luna 253 L for six years Now
The best reel I ever had. Very strong. No problem With the reel and less maintenance
I use the reel for jerkbaits for 3 to 4 oz With No problem
The reel Cast a mile and I love that reel more than the Shimano D

Sorry for poor english. Is not my mothers lanquage

megamusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by megamusky » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:25 am

the topic of the non english boy lol

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 am

I own two older ones that were used heavily for Muskie fishing and they have been more reliable than my Calcutta TE 400. In addition, better to palm and the grips are some of the best in the business.