Daiwa SS SV 103 HELP!!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa SS SV 103 HELP!!!

Post by spoon2610 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

I bought a gear set for my DAIWA SS SV 103 TO MAKE IT AN 8.1 RATIO. I bought it from Tackle Trap (btw they are the good guys) installed it the same way I took everything out but now it makes this noise when I tried to spool up some line. Has anyone done this install and could lend me a hand ,please.
Thank you Ricky Bobby

https://youtu.be/mAop9vfUvx8

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 HELP!!!

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Check to see if the washer looking piece that goes under the gear is flipped to correct way.

Also, look at the rest of the clutch assembly to see if anything is loose.

Does the spool disengage and engage when pressing the thumb bar then turn the handle?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:59 pm

ccass wrote:Check to see if the washer looking piece that goes under the gear is flipped to correct way.

Also, look at the rest of the clutch assembly to see if anything is loose.

Does the spool disengage and engage when pressing the thumb bar then turn the handle?

The spool disengage and engage properly

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:47 pm

It sounds like the pinion is skimming the spool pin and not engaging. I have a tdz that does that because the pinion is worn out. Is the cast control tight enough?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:03 pm

spoon2610 wrote:I bought a gear set for my DAIWA SS SV 103 TO MAKE IT AN 8.1 RATIO. I bought it from Tackle Trap (btw they are the good guys) installed it the same way I took everything out but now it makes this noise when I tried to spool up some line. Has anyone done this install and could lend me a hand ,please.
Thank you Ricky Bobby

https://youtu.be/mAop9vfUvx8
With the spool removed from the reel, does everything rotate freely?

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am

I took a small washer out of the drag washer and aligned everything again. So far it's not doing it again.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am

OK I did the same install last week. If you bought the kit with the carbontex drag washers the way you install them is different than the image with the instructions. The stack goes brass drive gear, carbontex big hole, keyed washer (one with the tips), carbontex small hole ( I'm pretty sure you can use either washer big or small hole, but I used small hole), then the stock thick washer that came with your reel forget the right name. You don't use the other carbontex or flat washer it makes it too thick and will rub. Give that a try those were instructions given to me from the tackle trap. Make sure to lightly grease them and your gears as well.
Good luck,
Dom

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 pm

domthewon wrote:OK I did the same install last week. If you bought the kit with the carbontex drag washers the way you install them is different than the image with the instructions. The stack goes brass drive gear, carbontex big hole, keyed washer (one with the tips), carbontex small hole ( I'm pretty sure you can use either washer big or small hole, but I used small hole), then the stock thick washer that came with your reel forget the right name. You don't use the other carbontex or flat washer it makes it too thick and will rub. Give that a try those were instructions given to me from the tackle trap. Make sure to lightly grease them and your gears as well.
Good luck,
Dom
Thanks Dom, I will do it that way.