Shimano's newer braking

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano's newer braking

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:21 am

Mainly a Daiwa guy since the E series. That said, the older E series was set it and forget it. I never had any distance issues and very few overruns.

I can pick up an E and fish all day without worry. The new Curado my buddy let me borrow was a backlash machine. I consider myself a decent caster and I couldn't get that thing dialed in. Put it in the rod locker after 5 minutes.

Bottom line, I get similar distance with my Daiwas and have much more spool control. I can run an SV spool on 3-4 and bomb it with a little fluff now and again. Then I can crank it to 8 and skip under a dock with little worry of it blowing up.

I had been wondering about this as I hated the cast control. I was dead set on getting the new curado until I got my hands on one.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:05 am

I found that the Gen 1 SVS on the 13 Met was just as good and as reliable as the old VBS. The adjustability was a bonus.

The latest 3rd Generation used on the MGLs is Shimano’s best ever IMHO. A great braking profile, completely predictable operation, no surprises.

That Gen 2 (4 red blocks) system used on the CI4+ and Curado I reels is an absolute disaster! Just when you think it’s dialed in, it starts to backlash, and keeps doing it until it decides to stop. Put all 4 blocks on & dial up to 6, still backlashes! After about 10 backlashes it starts to calm down - until the next time. I have already replaced the Curado I with a new K, and will soon replace both CI4s with MGLs.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:46 am

they never should have changed it IMO.

the older system was much more user friendly and cast great.

I have a curado 200i and I am used to it, but I have to fart around with it all the time whereas I never did on my old chronarch with the VBS system.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Metanium 13 SVS and Met MGL SVS are much more controlable imo. I personally like the 13 brakes more than MGL. The adjustable dial lets me cast in ANY changing wind and rain conditions. Sold all the VBS reels after trying my first Met13 and newer shimano reels ( and i was using VBS since the early bantams of the 90's...). No going back for me. But Daiwa SV spools are still the the easiest to skip cast for me lol. Namiki is legend when it comes to skipping lures