Shimano's newer braking

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Shimano's newer braking

Post by Riverguy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:33 am

I've had a Curado K for a while now, and I really like alot about this reel. However, after running many reels with the standard 6 Pin VBS setup- I have came to the conclusion that I just dont like these brakes. I understand how to use them and how to dial them in. But I find myself having to adjust them far more and I also can't quite push the spool right to the edge like I could with the old one pin on 5 off set up of VBS. In other words I could set it up to where I don't mess with the break so much, but to maintain that free feeling I prefer is a chore.

Is it just me or is anyone else in the same boat? I'm thinking long and hard about my first higher-end Daiwa baitcaster.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano's newer braking

Post by surge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 am

I felt the same way when switching from VBS/SVS to SVS Infinity.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:30 am

I'm not a huge fan either. Though, it seems less fussy with the MGL (perhaps due to the lighter spool?). I've found that I can get significantly more distance with my Daiwa's than I can with the Infinty Curados. I don't know why, but they just don't cast as well for me. The other thing I hate is the terrible placement of the external adjustment, but that's a different story.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Not a big fan either. Hell, i even prefer the linear mag brakes from Abu than the newest shimano offerings. I do like the shimano mag brakes on the alde bfs/conquest bfs. Wish they used these as their main brakes, but its probably impossible on deep spools.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm

I dig em. The old school centrifugal brakes using the large brake blocks.
Come in real harsh very early.

Where as the new one's come in less aggressively and fade off nicely at the midpoint

It's all personal preference i guess.

I didn't like the last red brake setup and prefered a mix of red and white.

I like mag brakes over centrifugal though

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:13 am

I'd take the SV/Air Brake over the newest Shimano braking if I had to, but I hardly ever adjust my Chronarch MGL. Not a fussy reel at all and actually VERY versatile.

I like to think of centrifugal brakes as a little mechanical thumb helping your reel slow down and magnetic brakes are like a little metal wizard slowing your spool down. Only the wizard has magic and doesn't actually "touch" the spool.

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 am

Man you guys are gonna talk me into getting a Chronarch MGL lol. A lighter spool would be welcome, the K isnt much on the lower end, frankly its lacking enough to its limited it as a true all around workhorse IMO.... My stable of E's eat its lunch and pop the bag on little cranks like the RC .05.

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 am

tywithay wrote:I'm not a huge fan either. Though, it seems less fussy with the MGL (perhaps due to the lighter spool?). I've found that I can get significantly more distance with my Daiwa's than I can with the Infinty Curados. I don't know why, but they just don't cast as well for me. The other thing I hate is the terrible placement of the external adjustment, but that's a different story.
Out of curiousity what Daiwas are you reffering to?

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I dig em. The old school centrifugal brakes using the large brake blocks.
Come in real harsh very early.

Where as the new one's come in less aggressively and fade off nicely at the midpoint

It's all personal preference i guess.

I didn't like the last red brake setup and prefered a mix of red and white.

I like mag brakes over centrifugal though
Thanks Scoob! Big fan btw lol. In the $200-250 and down range anything you'd opt for first for all aroundish use?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:18 am

Riverguy wrote:
tywithay wrote:I'm not a huge fan either. Though, it seems less fussy with the MGL (perhaps due to the lighter spool?). I've found that I can get significantly more distance with my Daiwa's than I can with the Infinty Curados. I don't know why, but they just don't cast as well for me. The other thing I hate is the terrible placement of the external adjustment, but that's a different story.
Out of curiousity what Daiwas are you reffering to?
Tatula SV, Zillion Tw 1516, and T3 MX. I especially do better with the SV on the lower end. The Zillion casts heavier further for me. The MX is just a solid caster all around.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 am

Think I’m one of the few guys who doesn’t like the new SV spools...but maybe I never got them dialed in right. I actually switched to Shimano after years of Daiwa. I too prefer the old vbs system, but just slightly. This is what Shimano’s third generation with the infinity tech? Generally in all fields using new tech, think smartphones, cars etc... it usually takes 3 or 4 generations to work out all the kinks

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am

tywithay wrote:
Tatula SV, Zillion Tw 1516, and T3 MX. I especially do better with the SV on the lower end. The Zillion casts heavier further for me. The MX is just a solid caster all around.
Heck yeah, I put some hedgehog hd's on my Zillion 100 TWS and it slings heavier stuff like there's no tomorrow. It doesn't do badly with light stuff, either. It will cast 1/8 on a medium heavy glass rod a respectable distance and launch 1/4. I think the USDM spool is lighter, but not positive. It's just like a 150 size 1016. Sorry I'm :offtopic:
Just love casting that reel.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:28 am

poisonokie wrote:
tywithay wrote:
Heck yeah, I put some hedgehog hd's on my Zillion 100 TWS and it slings heavier stuff like there's no tomorrow. It doesn't do badly with light stuff, either. It will cast 1/8 on a medium heavy glass rod a respectable distance and launch 1/4. I think the USDM spool is lighter, but not positive. It's just like a 150 size 1016. Sorry I'm :offtopic:
I agree with this too. I bought a second Zillion TWS when they were CHEAP on TW, spooled it with 10b fluoro, and it would chunk my trusty ole 3.3" Keitech with a 3/16 head quite well. There is a reason the 1516 is still available in Japan. They are solid reels, just were doomed from being too big in hand for most. If they had a shallow, G1 SV spool that would cast like the new SV TW, I would actually prefer the bigger, burly old Zillion TWS.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
tywithay wrote:
I agree with this too. I bought a second Zillion TWS when they were CHEAP on TW, spooled it with 10b fluoro, and it would chunk my trusty ole 3.3" Keitech with a 3/16 head quite well. There is a reason the 1516 is still available in Japan. They are solid reels, just were doomed from being too big in hand for most. If they had a shallow, G1 SV spool that would cast like the new SV TW, I would actually prefer the bigger, burly old Zillion TWS.
I was one of the few that didn't mind the size. I thought the Zillion and Tatula frame was fairly comfortable. The new ones definitely feel better, but it's not a glaring difference for me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 pm

tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
tywithay wrote:
I was one of the few that didn't mind the size. I thought the Zillion and Tatula frame was fairly comfortable. The new ones definitely feel better, but it's not a glaring difference for me.
Totally agree. I would obviously take a smaller reel, but for the amount I paid, I would honestly buy another Zillion TWS for my cranking rod. I really wish I had bought a 6.3 for my MH cranking rod. I have a friend who bought one when they were super cheap (like $135 new) and he uses the 6.3 with 20lb fluoro for A-Rigs and decent sized swimbaits. It is a quicker 6.3 because of the reel size, recovering like 28 inches per turn and he swears by the torque of that setup.