Baitcaster spinning backwards

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby Salty Parrot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi all my Steez A is spinning backwards sometimes, I don't know why I can't replicate it but sometimes as I am fishing it is able to reel the other way. Is my anti reverse bearing going bad? thanks.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 am

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby mrpao » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Sounds like either its going bad or you got too much oil on it.
I have noticed cold weather can also cause the AR bearing to slip more.
Try cleaning it and if that doesn't work, it may need replacing.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 pm

When does it do it? Under pressure from reeling or working a lure? Or just when setting the hook? Are you using it for jerkbaits? Whats the major technique?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Central New York

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby joekaz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 am

I had the same problem with my Steez A. The handle would go backwards during a hook set. It happened about once every fishing trip. I sent it to Daiwa while still under warranty but they charged me $16.00 to clean it and $18.86 to ship it back to me. I called to complain and they said the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. They said the AR roller clutch was all gunked up. Daiwa also replaced the gear shaft collar but did not charge me for that.

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby Salty Parrot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 am

Working lure, set hook, jerkbait etc. Using braid with a bfs spool.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:09 pm

joekaz wrote:I had the same problem with my Steez A. The handle would go backwards during a hook set. It happened about once every fishing trip. I sent it to Daiwa while still under warranty but they charged me $16.00 to clean it and $18.86 to ship it back to me. I called to complain and they said the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. They said the AR roller clutch was all gunked up. Daiwa also replaced the gear shaft collar but did not charge me for that.


US Daiwa? They didn't charge me a penny for way cheaper reels to be fixed and always return them quickly, fixed my SV105's inductor ramp (put the Zillion SV TW white one on) for free.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Central New York

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby joekaz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
joekaz wrote:I had the same problem with my Steez A. The handle would go backwards during a hook set. It happened about once every fishing trip. I sent it to Daiwa while still under warranty but they charged me $16.00 to clean it and $18.86 to ship it back to me. I called to complain and they said the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. They said the AR roller clutch was all gunked up. Daiwa also replaced the gear shaft collar but did not charge me for that.


US Daiwa? They didn't charge me a penny for way cheaper reels to be fixed and always return them quickly, fixed my SV105's inductor ramp (put the Zillion SV TW white one on) for free.

Yes. It was Daiwa US. I was very surprised. I wish I would have argued with them a little harder. The amount for shipping is a joke. I paid less than half that to ship to them.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:33 am

joekaz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
joekaz wrote:I had the same problem with my Steez A. The handle would go backwards during a hook set. It happened about once every fishing trip. I sent it to Daiwa while still under warranty but they charged me $16.00 to clean it and $18.86 to ship it back to me. I called to complain and they said the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. They said the AR roller clutch was all gunked up. Daiwa also replaced the gear shaft collar but did not charge me for that.


US Daiwa? They didn't charge me a penny for way cheaper reels to be fixed and always return them quickly, fixed my SV105's inductor ramp (put the Zillion SV TW white one on) for free.

Yes. It was Daiwa US. I was very surprised. I wish I would have argued with them a little harder. The amount for shipping is a joke. I paid less than half that to ship to them.


So odd, not sure why they do and do not on some people. Had a friend that said something similar considering his Steez SV 6.3. The gears got very rough and it was definitely still in warranty, but they charged him for gears and shipping. Wonder who makes that final decision.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Central New York

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby joekaz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:00 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
joekaz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
joekaz wrote:I had the same problem with my Steez A. The handle would go backwards during a hook set. It happened about once every fishing trip. I sent it to Daiwa while still under warranty but they charged me $16.00 to clean it and $18.86 to ship it back to me. I called to complain and they said the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. They said the AR roller clutch was all gunked up. Daiwa also replaced the gear shaft collar but did not charge me for that.


US Daiwa? They didn't charge me a penny for way cheaper reels to be fixed and always return them quickly, fixed my SV105's inductor ramp (put the Zillion SV TW white one on) for free.

Yes. It was Daiwa US. I was very surprised. I wish I would have argued with them a little harder. The amount for shipping is a joke. I paid less than half that to ship to them.


So odd, not sure why they do and do not on some people. Had a friend that said something similar considering his Steez SV 6.3. The gears got very rough and it was definitely still in warranty, but they charged him for gears and shipping. Wonder who makes that final decision.

Oh no! When I sent the reel in I also stated that the reel was rough during the retrieve. When I got it back it was still rough. I called Daiwa to complain and they emailed me a shipping label so I could send it back. I hope I don't get the run around again.

RMCatchNrelease
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:08 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby RMCatchNrelease » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:34 am

I believe the Tackle Trap is a Daiwa approved repair service. I sent 2 SV103xs that were a little sloppy from frogging all year. They put new gears in and got them running for the cost of a clean. Of course I had them add a worm drive bearing while in there.

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby Salty Parrot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Reel is still going backwards, I changed the ar bearing too. I have a 100 mm rcs handle on it, could handle length cause it?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Baitcaster spinning backwards

Postby PikeRoadBassn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 am

Salty Parrot wrote:Reel is still going backwards, I changed the ar bearing too. I have a 100 mm rcs handle on it, could handle length cause it?


Send it to us at The Tackle Trap. Handle length will not cause a reels AR clutch to slip. The only cost you will incur is shipping to us.


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests