Shimano’s Budget offerings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano’s Budget offerings

Post by Somerdink » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

I’m a Shimano guy and have had multiple reel manufacturers but keep going back to Shimanos offerings. But i always have noticed that there budget reels are crap. In my hands they feel like very cheap even there new one the Casticas i think it what it is called. I mean lews with there speed spool at 99 bucks is buy far the best on the market from what i found. Just seems from the Curado down the quality just isn’t there for Shimano. But is everyone thoughts on this?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 am

I would agree with that, especially since they quit making any aluminum-frame reels below the Curado. The Citica/Curado E series was the last I owned, but I have used a few of their current offerings, including the Casitas you mentioned. Underwhelmed is how I felt after I used it. The Lews reel is very nice at the $99 msrp, but I prefer the Fuego CT for $70 all day on that auction site.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I would agree with that, especially since they quit making any aluminum-frame reels below the Curado. The Citica/Curado E series was the last I owned, but I have used a few of their current offerings, including the Casitas you mentioned. Underwhelmed is how I felt after I used it. The Lews reel is very nice at the $99 msrp, but I prefer the Fuego CT for $70 all day on that auction site.
Hoohoorjoo totally forgot about the Fuego CT defiantly worth while checking out. I with you after the E Series Citica everything was downhill from there. One of the Shimano reps said that other manufacturers have them beat in the budget department.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Somerdink wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I would agree with that, especially since they quit making any aluminum-frame reels below the Curado. The Citica/Curado E series was the last I owned, but I have used a few of their current offerings, including the Casitas you mentioned. Underwhelmed is how I felt after I used it. The Lews reel is very nice at the $99 msrp, but I prefer the Fuego CT for $70 all day on that auction site.
Hoohoorjoo totally forgot about the Fuego CT defiantly worth while checking out. I with you after the E Series Citica everything was downhill from there. One of the Shimano reps said that other manufacturers have them beat in the budget department.
I have bought 3 Fuego CT's in the last month. I never thought a reel for substantially less than $100 could ever be that nice.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Somerdink wrote:
I have bought 3 Fuego CT's in the last month. I never thought a reel for substantially less than $100 could ever be that nice.
I picked up a Fuego CT in the 7.3:1 in the last few weeks for $70 new and it seems like one heck of a reel for the price. When I opened the box and spun the handle, I was pleasantly surprised. I may have to pick up another once I get it on the water.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I don't think shimano puts much effort into their low end reels.
I'm a shimano guy but I feel that their low end stuff is very lacking.
Lews and Daiwa have way better budget reels.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm glad you brought this up! their Spinning reels are the same way, I can't tell you how many times I have set up guest and friends up with various new out of the box sub $100.00 Shimano spinning reels just to have come back to me sometimes in hours and sometimes in days saying... there is something wrong with this reel? I won't even touch them anymore, I walked in to Walmart just yesterday and they had several Shimano's marked half off and I just kept on walking they aren't even worth that!

The thing that makes me mad is that when you pick these reels out they're smooth smooth and in hours they are grinders, most people that buy these reels can't afford to drop the cash on a high end reel so instead buy a reel that feels good at the store when they check it out and after very little use they are useless junk! :evil:

Rant over... maybe, Kurt

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Somerdink wrote:
Bought mine with the 20% off sale on the bay. Paid $60 shipped. Just turned it into an 11+1 bearing reel. Sucker is smooth. A couple JDM spool bearings, and hopefully I get impressed.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Somerdink wrote:
Bought mine with the 20% off sale on the bay. Paid $60 shipped. Just turned it into an 11+1 bearing reel. Sucker is smooth. A couple JDM spool bearings, and hopefully I get impressed.
You could try a Ray's Studio Long Cast DIY finesse spool as long as your Shimano 50 reels are ok with it.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 am

LowRange wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Somerdink wrote:
You could try a Ray's Studio Long Cast DIY finesse spool as long as your Shimano 50 reels are ok with it.
There'd be a lot of fighting going on in the reel bag. Fuego is outnumbered 4 to 1. Lol
<")))><{