Quantum reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Quantum reels

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 am

Since the Bassmaster Classic was won by someone using Quantum reels again (10 times now), does this change everyone's perception of Quantum reels?
I am asking because, although I have used them for many years, I always had some kind of issues. The finish would fail, some plastic part would fail, or there would be some nagging minor mechanical issue with one. But the affordability of a lighter weight baitcaster with externally adjustable centrifugal brakes, plus a decent price, always kept me coming back. And the bearing on top of the clutch bearing, just under the drag clicker, made them feel really smooth.
When they came out with the original Smoke reels, with it's 7/1 gear ratio, I found a Quantum reel with no issues (apart from the aluminum main gear), and that fished really well.
Being "frugal" by nature, I bought one on a TW discount sale, and five more when the next model came out and the originals were on sale for half price.
I haven't looked back.
So why are these reels still looked down on here?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quantum reels

Post by joekaz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am

I bought some Quantum's when the company first started but they did not last long so I gave up on them. I pretty much used Shimano and Daiwa since then. The last few years though I have problems with there latest models. I have had issues with my Metainium, Chronarch, Curado 200i, and Curado 70. I even had 3 different issues with my Steez A last year. I am a little upset with Daiwa's customer service at the moment. Out of frustration and curiosity I have tried most of the Doyo and Banax reels over the last couple of years but I didn't care for any of them. Lately I have read and watched some great reviews on the new Quantum S3 baitcasters. They even have a 3 year warranty. When the Ice melts I am going to give one a try. Stay tuned.
Last edited by joekaz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

If KVD can't win over the TT crowd, I don't think JLee will either.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am

Granted it was a time that I wasn't used to high end gear but, I had an original Smoke and it performed great. It did get rough in no time thought. Brass gears could have made it better. I personally prefer Daiwa now so, I'd be hard pressed to get a Quantum nowadays
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 am

They fish quantum because they are paid too...Maybe if they had to buy their own tackle they would sing a different song.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 am

Because Quantum is a made is China brand. I don’t mind made in China as long as it’s priced accordingly. I like my Quantums just fine since I only buy them when they go on clearance for half price. Tackletour caters more towards the JDM and enthusiast level crowd. It amazes me to see the amount of people on this forum that buy into the “technological advances” and marketing hype.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:13 pm

They're Banax reels. If I wanted a Banax I'd probably lean towards a Tailwalk or Okuma brand but Quantums aren't bad.

Pc version: http://banax.co.kr/new/main/main.php

Reels: http://banaxmall.com/new/product_list/s ... fish=fish7

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

joekaz wrote:I bought some Quantum's when the company first started but they did not last long so I gave up on them. I pretty much used Shimano and Daiwa since then. The last few years though I have problems with there latest models. I have had issues with my Metainium, Chronarch, Curado 200i, and Curado 70. I even had 3 different issues with my Steez A last year. I am a little upset with Daiwa's customer service at the moment. Out of frustration and curiosity I have tried most of the Doyo and Banax reels over the last couple of years but I didn't care for any of them. Lately I have read and watched some great reviews on the new Quantum S3 baitcasters. They even have a 3 year warranty. When the Ice melts I am going to give one a try. Stay tuned.
I have been down this road with the other brands too! and I think the there is an S3 in my future also, I like the idea of a 3 year warranty!

Kurt

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

MaxZmus wrote:Because Quantum is a made is China brand. I don’t mind made in China as long as it’s priced accordingly. I like my Quantums just fine since I only buy them when they go on clearance for half price. Tackletour caters more towards the JDM and enthusiast level crowd. It amazes me to see the amount of people on this forum that buy into the “technological advances” and marketing hype.
If people didn't "buy into" technological adavances we'd all still be using direct drive Shakespeares with steel spools, nylon gears, and zero bearings. They don't make 'em like they used to and thank god for that, because I like having reels with drag.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:59 pm

poisonokie wrote:
MaxZmus wrote:Because Quantum is a made is China brand. I don’t mind made in China as long as it’s priced accordingly. I like my Quantums just fine since I only buy them when they go on clearance for half price. Tackletour caters more towards the JDM and enthusiast level crowd. It amazes me to see the amount of people on this forum that buy into the “technological advances” and marketing hype.
If people didn't "buy into" technological adavances we'd all still be using direct drive Shakespeares with steel spools, nylon gears, and zero bearings. They don't make 'em like they used to and thank god for that, because I like having reels with drag.
I totally agree.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 am

I'm sure I could burn through a ton of reels in a season also if I had a limitless supply. As much of an enthusiast as I claim to and try to be... I also understand that many more fish have been caught on a Zebco 33 than probably anything else. If a Quantum can do pretty much anything the others can (and for throwing larger jigs/heavier lures anything works honestly) they can lose a little quality control and refinement.
My money wouldn't ever go towards one because I trust Daiwa/Shimano and flat out like their equipment better. I do however use mainly Lew's and Abu rods in the up to $200 range so I guess I could apply the same concept to reels, just haven't been able to do it.
But to summarize, I think refinement isn't most important to guys who are slinging non stop for biggest fish, and with normal weighted lures a slightly rickety quantum (who's paying you like crazy) is fine especially when I'm sure they get the cream of the crop Banax has to offer.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Like a lot of anglers on here I’ve had my bad experiences with quantum reels. I saw them on tv and thought, if I buy those I’ll be a better fisherman like the pros. Nothing could be further from the truth. Every single quantum casting reel I bought had a major problem with in two years. They simply didn’t hold up to hard bass fishing. I have heard quantum has improved their quality, but I don’t think I could ever trust them again.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:29 pm

I bought a couple Quantums back in the day and they just didn't last. Neither lasted a year.
I'm not willing to let go of any more of my hard earned money to try them again.
I seriously doubt they have anything that is better than the offerings from Shimano and Daiwa.

jasonsadowsky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jasonsadowsky » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 am

just started fishing my first Quantum reel a Tour S3, left hand. i upgraded it with spoolspeed bearings and can say this things flies! with weightless texas rigs, on a 13fishing Fate Black 6ft7 rod im chucking a solid 50yards. with a 3/8 football jig head and small trailer im easily out 60+ Im going to swap reel to my Favorite Sick Stick 7ft4 to see how it performs on a longer heavy rod.
the feel of the tour S3 is outstanding, the braking is spot on, drag is solid and very predictable. I have it backed with 60yards of 10lb mono, and then 30lb suffix 832

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, let us know how it holds up.
This is the way.