Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm

LowRange wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Ryoga (1016 & 1520) deep cranking in Mexico- https://youtu.be/OPcafhiCuKw


At 30 seconds in, what is the low profile reel all the way to the left?


Looks like a box Tatula/Zillion with the recessed mag dial like the Steez TWS. There is going to be a new Zillion out with this feature and most likely a Tatula at some point as well. The low lighting most likely obscures the brake dial.

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/da ... 00240.html


Called Daiwa today actually, was hunting parts to upgrade a spool I have sitting. Weren't able to have the parts, but the guy said there would be a few new things coming ICAST. Some of them would be released later in 2018 too. Didn't act like anything MAJOR was coming, but you never know. Hope I can replace the sideplate on my SV TW Zillions, I'm sure if a new one comes it will be different colored though. Would love to see an 8 speed rather than the jump to 9 gear.

User avatar
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:06 am

After toying with a 1520HL today my initial impression is of THE smoothest factory reel I've possessed. Can't find anything I don't like, general conclusion I need another. Real soon. I've been waiting for a reel like this. Sometimes, 1016 is too little and 2020 is too much. As for it not being able to handle a 25lb catch I find that conclusion to be highly unlikely. If I happen to lay into one I won't be sweating it I can tell you that much. No problem.
PEACE

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby LowRange » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:After toying with a 1520HL today my initial impression is of THE smoothest factory reel I've possessed. Can't find anything I don't like, general conclusion I need another. Real soon. I've been waiting for a reel like this. Sometimes, 1016 is too little and 2020 is too much. As for it not being able to handle a 25lb catch I find that conclusion to be highly unlikely. If I happen to lay into one I won't be sweating it I can tell you that much. No problem.


If you ever get the chance, I'd love to know if the new Ryoga gear set will fit the LIN reels.

User avatar
lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby lpquick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks but nope, we don't know where the tick is coming from. It wasn't there before catching a fish. We checked it out to be sure.
I'm sending the reel back to Japan and Daiwa for repairs or replacement, I'll let everyone know what happens next.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

User avatar
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am
Location: CA Delta

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby Tony9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

The 1520 G1 spool is compatible with the 1516 Zillion and vice versa.

Image

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby SSS » Fri May 11, 2018 7:18 am

Anyone knows if the line guide from the newer ryoga is compatible with the older ryoga? I was thinking of getting one for the ceramic insert.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby wandyhee » Mon May 14, 2018 8:05 pm

received my Ryoga 1520H from Japan Angler yesterday (14MAY2018), here is my 1st impression about this reel:
1. super smooth, I could not feel any gear movement while rotating handle (under 0 load of course)
2. palming the reel, i've noticed those square thumb bar digging my palm, but much less annoying than my Calcutta 400 thumb bar.
3. spool up 40lb braided line 0.30mm dia, max spool capacity is 80m (88 yards). basicly spool capacity of Ryoga 1520H are similar to my CITICA 200I, which is also 80m max using braided 0.30mm. If anyone looking to save budget, it's better to get Citica or Curado 200/201
4. Screw/fastener for side gear cover for this reel are only 2, allen/hexagon head screw on outside, slotted head screw on inside. those slotted head screw are super tight. Usually any new reel I get, I will dismantle all parts and added some grease if necessary. but for this ryoga, I simply can't open/remove gear cover.
5. side plate bearing 3x10x4 & spool bearing 5x11x4 are not spin freely. I flush both bearing, still not spin freely but there are slight improvement on 5x11x4 spool bearing after I remove shield on both side. for 3x10x4 bearing, shield seem like permanent/non-removable. free spin the spool, lasted about 6-7 second
6. Handle nut only accessible using socket spanner (10mm)
7. It does have line out clicker

photo link of my Ryoga 1520h for reference https://www.facebook.com/pg/HargaTerlaj ... 1101386076
Last edited by wandyhee on Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Revofisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby Revofisher » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 am

does anyone know by chance when the 1520 cc is going to be released i ordered it but not sure of the release date on the reel? I ordered from ttt and not japan which i think they are out already there?

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby bigturtle » Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 am

wandyhee wrote:received my Ryoga 1520H from Japan Angler yesterday (14MAY2018), here is my 1st impression about this reel:
1. super smooth, I could not feel any gear movement while rotating handle (under 0 load of course)
2. palming the reel, i've noticed those square thumb bar digging my palm, but much less annoying than my Calcutta 400 thumb bar.
3. spool up 40lb braided line 0.30mm dia, max spool capacity is 80m (88 yards). basicly spool capacity of Ryoga 1520H are similar to my CITICA 200I, which is also 80m max using braided 0.30mm. Basically, if anyone want to save budget, it's better to get Citica or Curado 200/201
4. Screw/fastener for side gear cover for this reel are only 2, allen/hexagon head screw on outside, slotted head screw on inside. those slotter head screw are super tight. Usually any new reel I get, I will dismantle all parts and added some grease if necessary. but for this ryoga, I simply can't open/remove gear cover.
5. side plate bearing 3x10x4 & spool bearing 5x11x4 are not spin freely. I flush both bearing, still not spin freely but there are slight improvement on 5x11x4 spool bearing after I remove shield on both side. for 3x10x4 bearing, shield seem like permanent/non-removable. free spin the spool, lasted about 6-7 second
6. Handle nut only accessible using socket spanner (10mm)
7. It does have line out clicker

photo link of my Ryoga 1520h for reference https://www.facebook.com/pg/HargaTerlaj ... 1101386076


How did you only put 80m of 40lb braid on a spool thats rated to 125m of 16lb mono? Is this with backing or straight braid?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby wandyhee » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

bigturtle wrote:
wandyhee wrote:received my Ryoga 1520H from Japan Angler yesterday (14MAY2018), here is my 1st impression about this reel:
1. super smooth, I could not feel any gear movement while rotating handle (under 0 load of course)
2. palming the reel, i've noticed those square thumb bar digging my palm, but much less annoying than my Calcutta 400 thumb bar.
3. spool up 40lb braided line 0.30mm dia, max spool capacity is 80m (88 yards). basicly spool capacity of Ryoga 1520H are similar to my CITICA 200I, which is also 80m max using braided 0.30mm. Basically, if anyone want to save budget, it's better to get Citica or Curado 200/201
4. Screw/fastener for side gear cover for this reel are only 2, allen/hexagon head screw on outside, slotted head screw on inside. those slotter head screw are super tight. Usually any new reel I get, I will dismantle all parts and added some grease if necessary. but for this ryoga, I simply can't open/remove gear cover.
5. side plate bearing 3x10x4 & spool bearing 5x11x4 are not spin freely. I flush both bearing, still not spin freely but there are slight improvement on 5x11x4 spool bearing after I remove shield on both side. for 3x10x4 bearing, shield seem like permanent/non-removable. free spin the spool, lasted about 6-7 second
6. Handle nut only accessible using socket spanner (10mm)
7. It does have line out clicker

photo link of my Ryoga 1520h for reference https://www.facebook.com/pg/HargaTerlaj ... 1101386076


How did you only put 80m of 40lb braid on a spool thats rated to 125m of 16lb mono? Is this with backing or straight braid?


straight braid. from my past experience, most of spool capacity spec of Daiwa & Shimano are overrated. in most cases, I only manage to spool up to 60% of spool capacity spec. I did spool up 0.28mm 30lb line yesterday evening and it's only 90 meters (99 yards)

Image

Image

User avatar
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Interesting... I somehow managed to spool up about 85 meters of .435mm on mine :whistle:
PEACE

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby bigturtle » Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 pm

I think you're doing something wrong if you only get 60% capacity every time. I find it extremely hard to believe the 1520 spool cant even fit 100 yards of 40lb braid.

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby spookybaits » Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm

You sure you don't have the 1016? That line capacity sounds really off :-k

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby wandyhee » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 pm

bigturtle wrote:I think you're doing something wrong if you only get 60% capacity every time. I find it extremely hard to believe the 1520 spool cant even fit 100 yards of 40lb braid.

mind to explain in detail on what is correct way to spool up main line to achieve 100% as per given spec?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Postby wandyhee » Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 pm

spookybaits wrote:You sure you don't have the 1016? That line capacity sounds really off :-k


Sir, please click link of pictures i provided above. I'm afraid I don't know the different between 1016 & 1520


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquaftm45, mthao105 and 7 guests