Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Right on Brian, glad you got fixed up!
So what's your thoughts on this reel(besides the pinion issue) after having it in hand and digging through it?
I think it is a beautiful and functional reel. Simplistic in nature really. It uses the Steez SV TW style cam plate, which I found surprising given the lack of T Wing. The Micro gearing is very nice. It has a very fluid connected feel. The reel is built to be tough yet refined, and I think Daiwa hit it square on the head with this one.
When you had the reel apart did you see anything that would indicate that the new Ryoga gears will fit the old Ryoga?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:12 am

Just from pictures this reel is based on the Catalina BJ , Millionaire Basara body, with a few alterations with no resemblance to the original ryoga. The old Ryoga was tried and proven on PNG black Bass and Asian Giant Snakehead, will wait for reviews as to how well micro gears hold up.

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:24 am

What do you think BARRAMANIAC. The larger one for trolling for barras?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 am

Rasputin wrote:What do you think BARRAMANIAC. The larger one for trolling for barras?
I am not sold on the micro gears. I am a fitter machinist by trade and deal with industrial gearboxes. Having smaller profile gears with small contact area isn't good for high power. And ryoga has always been a power reel. My 1016H has over 10kg of drag and the gears handle it no problems. Used to greet effect on fingermark (golden snapper) . But I am not sure the new ryoga could handle the souped up drag without stripping gear teeth. Looks great but I am not sure. I am using Steez A without issues on Barra and Z200 for big baits.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:20 am

LowRange wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:
So what's your thoughts on this reel(besides the pinion issue) after having it in hand and digging through it?
I think it is a beautiful and functional reel. Simplistic in nature really. It uses the Steez SV TW style cam plate, which I found surprising given the lack of T Wing. The Micro gearing is very nice. It has a very fluid connected feel. The reel is built to be tough yet refined, and I think Daiwa hit it square on the head with this one.
When you had the reel apart did you see anything that would indicate that the new Ryoga gears will fit the old Ryoga?
I wasn't exactly looking for it, but given the cam configuration, and difference in drive shaft, I would say not.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:29 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
LowRange wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:
I wasn't exactly looking for it, but given the cam configuration, and difference in drive shaft, I would say not.
I have fitted catalina BJ gears to a 1016 ryoga before looking for a high speed gear for the ryoga. And as the new ryoga is the sake body I believe it will be possible

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:16 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Rasputin wrote:What do you think BARRAMANIAC. The larger one for trolling for barras?
I am not sold on the micro gears. I am a fitter machinist by trade and deal with industrial gearboxes. Having smaller profile gears with small contact area isn't good for high power. And ryoga has always been a power reel. My 1016H has over 10kg of drag and the gears handle it no problems. Used to greet effect on fingermark (golden snapper) . But I am not sure the new ryoga could handle the souped up drag without stripping gear teeth. Looks great but I am not sure. I am using Steez A without issues on Barra and Z200 for big baits.
But in theory, wouldn't the perceived structural integrity weakness(es) of the smaller sized 'micro' gears be offset by their decreased length & closer approximation to each other?

I.e. Visualizing it like... Weight supported by many shorter pillars vs fewer, taller pillars. Shorter pillars are stronger/sturdier against weight & resistance from above as well as the sides(i.e. Vertical & horizontal force). Correct?

Photo of new gears compared to older model pluton/ryoga gears:
https://fishingthai-com.cdn.ampproject. ... 94-min.jpg

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:27 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
I have had no problems so far with my Conquest 201 hauling in large fish. I might take the hit and try one out.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 am

Has anyone tried fitting the new zpi spools or sv spools in the new ryoga? Does it fit?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Ryoga (1016 & 1520) deep cranking in Mexico- https://youtu.be/OPcafhiCuKw

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:21 pm

I have the 1520 HL. Initial impressions are that it is ridiculously smooth and solid. Easily smoother than my 15 Conquest 101HG. I got 16.19g for the 1520 spool weight with bearing.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Unfortunately the micro gear set on my 2018 Ryoga HG Left squeals like a pig and there's a noticeable tick on every turn of the handle now after using it once to catch a beautiful 25lb Red. Kazu at Japan Angler said maybe the reel isn't up to the task of a 25# Redfish. I said bull crap if I can fight a fish within the reels drag capabilities it shouldn't matter the size of the fish. I sent the reel off to a world class tuner whom tried and tried but couldn't get the squeal nor the tick to go away, I'm told I need a new gear set but Kazu claims the gears sets will not be available for sale, I must return the reel to him to have it sent back to Daiwa for repairs. I was so high on the reel when it first arrived, the gears were sooo smooth honestly a hole new level of smoothness over any of my 2016 CQ 101 HG and 201 HG reels which I love and use regularly on big Reds and not one issue. Unless my reel is defective and I don't believe it is, I have lost all hope and faith in Daiwa as of late! I own and use many Daiwa Millionaire model reels which also perform flawlessly battling big reds and Jacks. Just my reel world experience no exaggeration, it is what it is.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 pm

spookybaits wrote:Ryoga (1016 & 1520) deep cranking in Mexico- https://youtu.be/OPcafhiCuKw
At 30 seconds in, what is the low profile reel all the way to the left?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Ryoga (1016 & 1520) deep cranking in Mexico- https://youtu.be/OPcafhiCuKw
At 30 seconds in, what is the low profile reel all the way to the left?
Looks like a box Tatula/Zillion with the recessed mag dial like the Steez TWS. There is going to be a new Zillion out with this feature and most likely a Tatula at some point as well. The low lighting most likely obscures the brake dial.

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/da ... 00240.html

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 pm

lpquick wrote:Unfortunately the micro gear set on my 2018 Ryoga HG Left squeals like a pig and there's a noticeable tick on every turn of the handle now after using it once to catch a beautiful 25lb Red. Kazu at Japan Angler said maybe the reel isn't up to the task of a 25# Redfish. I said bull crap if I can fight a fish within the reels drag capabilities it shouldn't matter the size of the fish. I sent the reel off to a world class tuner whom tried and tried but couldn't get the squeal nor the tick to go away, I'm told I need a new gear set but Kazu claims the gears sets will not be available for sale, I must return the reel to him to have it sent back to Daiwa for repairs. I was so high on the reel when it first arrived, the gears were sooo smooth honestly a hole new level of smoothness over any of my 2016 CQ 101 HG and 201 HG reels which I love and use regularly on big Reds and not one issue. Unless my reel is defective and I don't believe it is, I have lost all hope and faith in Daiwa as of late! I own and use many Daiwa Millionaire model reels which also perform flawlessly battling big reds and Jacks. Just my reel world experience no exaggeration, it is what it is.
The tick may be caused by a problem with the pinion shaft, as discussed previously in this thread.