Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Post by joekaz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:The micro gear ushering into lower end models was a spot on comment. Reel companies need to offer something new in order to keep sales up... They are always looking for a new tech to offer and I bet money the next gen Zillions will offer the micro gears and the Steez style sideplate, hell they are doing it this year with the Zillion HD (sideplate that is). SV was a higher end technology when it started, right? Now it is available at under the $200 price point...
I also think putting micro gears in the Zillion would help to better justify the big price gap over the Tatula.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am

joekaz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The micro gear ushering into lower end models was a spot on comment. Reel companies need to offer something new in order to keep sales up... They are always looking for a new tech to offer and I bet money the next gen Zillions will offer the micro gears and the Steez style sideplate, hell they are doing it this year with the Zillion HD (sideplate that is). SV was a higher end technology when it started, right? Now it is available at under the $200 price point...
I also think putting micro gears in the Zillion would help to better justify the big price gap over the Tatula.

Good call, I was kinda bothered by that not long ago. I absolutely love my Zillion SV TW reels, but thinking that the only differences are the spool and pinion design (maybe bearing quality too) over the Tatula and even Fuego CT series doesn't justify a $200 max price gap. I got my Zillion SV's for a good deal so it doesn't bother me, but I do wonder if the share MAIN gears and just change the pinion design/shape. I would guess that the frames are very similar, along with handles, T-wing, etc. The old Zillion TWS had a beefed up clutch mechanism versus the Tatula Type R along with a levelwind bearing, redesigned T-wing, handle nut/plate, etc. I still swear that for the sale price they ended up at, the Zillion TWS reels were an amazing buy and I still love both of mine. If the color matches I would even like to have the new Zillion HD 2018 sideplate for them (assuming everything would sync up).

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
joekaz wrote:

Good call, I was kinda bothered by that not long ago. I absolutely love my Zillion SV TW reels, but thinking that the only differences are the spool and pinion design (maybe bearing quality too) over the Tatula and even Fuego CT series doesn't justify a $200 max price gap. I got my Zillion SV's for a good deal so it doesn't bother me, but I do wonder if the share MAIN gears and just change the pinion design/shape. I would guess that the frames are very similar, along with handles, T-wing, etc. The old Zillion TWS had a beefed up clutch mechanism versus the Tatula Type R along with a levelwind bearing, redesigned T-wing, handle nut/plate, etc. I still swear that for the sale price they ended up at, the Zillion TWS reels were an amazing buy and I still love both of mine. If the color matches I would even like to have the new Zillion HD 2018 sideplate for them (assuming everything would sync up).
In a Plat video I watched it looks like the new Zillion HD is gloss black with no flake. Bummer. I was thinking the same thing about the sideplate until I watched the vid.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:36 am

So we received the Ryoga 1016H from Windy City on Friday. I had the chance to open it up this morning. Starting with the obvious signs, I pulled the gear set out. Lack of lube was a non issue on this reel. There was plenty of grease on the gears. After cleaning and inspecting the gear set, there were no obvious signs of damage to either drive or pinion gear. Upon lubing and reassembly, the “tick” was still there.

The reel was pulled back down, and the upper and lower pinion support bearings were removed. The bearing sleeves were inspected for damage, but none was found. I went ahead and flushed the bearings in case any debris had worked itself into the bearings. Reassembly yielded the same results.

Removing the spool made no difference in the “tick”, and was still very pronounced. I decided to pull the pinion shaft to see if it had any affect on it. After removing the pinion shaft the “tick” disappeared. Even applying pressure to the spool yielded in a smooth feel. I replaced the stock pinion shaft with one from a Zillion. After installing the new pinion shaft, the “tick” was gone. Upon inspection of the stock pinion shaft, there are “flats” on the pinion shaft. All I can figure is that one if the flats was distorted enough to make contact with the inside of the pinion gear and cause the “tick” that was felt.

I feel this is most likely an extremely isolated incident, as I’ve never seen this before.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Right on Brian, glad you got fixed up!
So what's your thoughts on this reel(besides the pinion issue) after having it in hand and digging through it?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Nice detective work there. Unusual fault for any reel, let alone a new one. Love the clean stealth look of this model....

Windy City
Angler
Angler

Post by Windy City » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:So we received the Ryoga 1016H from Windy City on Friday. I had the chance to open it up this morning. Starting with the obvious signs, I pulled the gear set out. Lack of lube was a non issue on this reel. There was plenty of grease on the gears. After cleaning and inspecting the gear set, there were no obvious signs of damage to either drive or pinion gear. Upon lubing and reassembly, the “tick” was still there.

The reel was pulled back down, and the upper and lower pinion support bearings were removed. The bearing sleeves were inspected for damage, but none was found. I went ahead and flushed the bearings in case any debris had worked itself into the bearings. Reassembly yielded the same results.

Removing the spool made no difference in the “tick”, and was still very pronounced. I decided to pull the pinion shaft to see if it had any affect on it. After removing the pinion shaft the “tick” disappeared. Even applying pressure to the spool yielded in a smooth feel. I replaced the stock pinion shaft with one from a Zillion. After installing the new pinion shaft, the “tick” was gone. Upon inspection of the stock pinion shaft, there are “flats” on the pinion shaft. All I can figure is that one if the flats was distorted enough to make contact with the inside of the pinion gear and cause the “tick” that was felt.

I feel this is most likely an extremely isolated incident, as I’ve never seen this before.
I am glad I sent the reel to the right guys! It would have resulted in plenty of brain damage trying to figure this out without the experience The Tackle Trap has!

It's also good to hear there was a tangible issue and it is now fixed, case closed. I am looking forward to flogging the water with this reel and I have high hopes it is every bit as good as I expect from Daiwa.

Thanks so much Gary, Bryan, and Brian for all the help and the great service with all the past (and future) orders I have placed with you!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello, Guys!
In our Russian fishermans forum one of member posted videos about gap gap between body and side cover. Owners of Ryoga 18, can you check yours and say - is it normal or it it a reel's defect?
https://youtu.be/VSIDmBrDar4
https://youtu.be/2iBm9KZ_QY0

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Loafer wrote:Hello, Guys!
In our Russian fishermans forum one of member posted videos about gap gap between body and side cover. Owners of Ryoga 18, can you check yours and say - is it normal or it it a reel's defect?
https://youtu.be/VSIDmBrDar4
https://youtu.be/2iBm9KZ_QY0
In the video posted by Plat, the gap is visible also. So I'm inclined to say it's normal.

https://youtu.be/BLYL8emxLWY

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 am

spookybaits wrote:Right on Brian, glad you got fixed up!
So what's your thoughts on this reel(besides the pinion issue) after having it in hand and digging through it?
I think it is a beautiful and functional reel. Simplistic in nature really. It uses the Steez SV TW style cam plate, which I found surprising given the lack of T Wing. The Micro gearing is very nice. It has a very fluid connected feel. The reel is built to be tough yet refined, and I think Daiwa hit it square on the head with this one.

Windy City
Angler
Angler

Post by Windy City » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 pm

I received the reel back today, unbelievable the difference.

"Before" it was terrible, kind of like a BPS reel. :lol:

Now it is what I would expect from Daiwa.

Thanks to all the guys at Tackle Trap. The service has always been impeccable! =D>

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 am

Windy City wrote:I received the reel back today, unbelievable the difference.

"Before" it was terrible, kind of like a BPS reel. :lol:

Now it is what I would expect from Daiwa.

Thanks to all the guys at Tackle Trap. The service has always been impeccable! =D>
Don, I am very glad we could get her fixed for you. She is one heck of a machine, and should serve you well. Let us know how she does when you get the chance to fish it. Ive been on the fence about one, but I believe I know now what I want.

Best wishes, Bryan

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Are there any links out there showing the 1016 and 1520 side by side for a size comparison. Now that we know the 1016 is roughly the same as a Conquest 200.

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 am

[quote="Rasputin"]Are there any links out there showing the 1016 and 1520 side by side for a size comparison. /quote]

7:10 onwards

https://youtu.be/Pp_JU-sva3k

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 am

Thanks for the link.