Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 am

Hi,

I am wondering if there are reviews/ well informed opinions out on the new Ryoga.

I love my Conquests, but the idea to have another round reel that has a spool that is compatible with my Steez SV TWS, Steez A, SV103 is intriguing.

Would be looking int the 5 ratio reel for deep cranks.

Thanks

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reviews out on new 2018 Ryoga?

Post by Blauwe Lori » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 am

I received the 1520 l
Nice reel

Very smooth
But I m NOT satisfied about the spool
I prefer a bigger spool for more line

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 am

Blauwe Lori wrote:I received the 1520 l
Nice reel

Very smooth
How are you using it? Can you use braid?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Blauwe Lori wrote:I received the 1520 l
Nice reel

Very smooth

Cool! Have you any other reels that you can compare it to (Conquest, Antares, etc.)?

100m of 20 pound is not enough for you, what applications do you need that much line for?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 pm

I use iT for jerkbait fishing for Pike
With Braid

We use 50 lbs braid for bigger baits. Up to 60 lbs

I m going to sell the reel

I have a New 2018 301 Conquest

Better reel for me

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if the ZPI RC-001 and 002 spool works on these? I know it doesn't on the OG ryoga but was wondering if it does in the new one

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 am

Blauwe Lori wrote:I use iT for jerkbait fishing for Pike
With Braid

We use 50 lbs braid for bigger baits. Up to 60 lbs

I m going to sell the reel

I have a New 2018 301 Conquest

Better reel for me
Best of luck. If 200m of PE2, about 40_50lbs, isnt enough? How far are you casting and can you effectively work a jerk bait at the end of your cast? Tight lines.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am

I fished my 1016 for the first time yesterday. No fish to report but I got maybe 30 mins of casting in.

I was using a megabass launcher with defier 13 lb line and a wiggle wart tied on. The wiggle wart is the very bottom of what this rod is rated for so I figured it would be a good test. I was able to set the braking down to 5 before I changed rods and reels (we found a MOUNTAIN of stacked crappie lol). I was getting respectable casts with no fluffing at all and no issues, no issues with the amount of line but that light lure wasnt going to spool the reel. and its still buttery smooth.

I need to tie a 6xd or something similar and really let her eat but my water is still 47 degrees or less so havent needed to do it and didnt take the time yesterday to try. I will probably go chase Muskie next weekend and I can tie on a big bait and let the reel eat then, maybe get a video of a decent cast for reference.

I could see where these reels might be a bit small for say throwing jakes or suicks etc but for larger bass jerkbaits it shouldnt be a problem. My pike jerkbait reel is a revo toro 50 which has almost double the line capacity.

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Not my video but I figured it might help you to compare size. Not a "on the water" test but an unboxing and inital impression of the reel.

https://youtu.be/r1OkYYYH1BE

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 am

Hyaweh wrote:Not my video but I figured it might help you to compare size. Not a "on the water" test but an unboxing and inital impression of the reel.

https://youtu.be/r1OkYYYH1BE
That's actually a really good video, thanks for sharing!

For those watching- don't check out early. Around 13:00 he pulls out a conquest(new style) and compares them. Says the Ryoga smoothness is "on another level" :shock:

Bold statement indeed!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 am

*side note- I wonder if this will be the reel that ushers in micro gears for Daiwa reels. I bet we see em on the next Zillions... ;)

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:28 pm

spookybaits wrote:*side note- I wonder if this will be the reel that ushers in micro gears for Daiwa reels. I bet we see em on the next Zillions... ;)
I really hope the daiwa micro gear stays exclusive in the high end reels. Altho I might sound a bit selfish, I just cant see the reason to buy highend daiwa reels when I can
get a tatula sv for 300$ cheaper but same technology. Steez sounds like an overpriced reel at that point

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

While the Tatula reels are feature packed and excellent performers they lack the refinement of the higher end reels such as the Steez and TD Zillion. Tatulas are a little sloppy, a little geary and a little noisy when compared to the higher end offerengs.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Hyaweh wrote: I really hope the daiwa micro gear stays exclusive in the high end reels. Altho I might sound a bit selfish, I just cant see the reason to buy highend daiwa reels when I can
get a tatula sv for 300$ cheaper but same technology. Steez sounds like an overpriced reel at that point
The Tatula SV is great without a doubt, but with a comment like that, I'd certainly be surprised if you've fished a Steez SV TW. They don't share all the "same technology" and feel and fish nothing like one another. I've put in many hours with both.

I'm looking forward to giving the new Ryoga a shot myself, not to mention the new Exist to compare to Stella FJ. We're doing pre-orders on both and I have mine in :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Windy City
Angler
Angler

Post by Windy City » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I received mt Ryoga from Japan on Sunday. Took it out of the box and cranked the handle and was a little disappointed. It doesn't freewheel worth a crap and it feels like a gear shaft is bent or something. With each turn their is a disconcerting tick and bump. Maybe it is an isolated case but at the moment I am in no way a fan.

I would like to send it to Gary at TT for a once over and an opinion of why it seems so lackluster.