QUESTION: Daiwa Tatula/Zillion TWS -> Braid -> Fluoro Topshot

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

QUESTION: Daiwa Tatula/Zillion TWS -> Braid -> Fluoro Topshot

Post by robchik04 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

:?: Hey all. Anyone have trouble topshotting fluorocarbon to braid with the Tatula/Zillion SV TWS reels? I notice the line guide is fairly narrow. Was curious before I spool up for spring. :?:

I'm looking at spooling up with 30# J-Braid x4 to 15# FC
robchik.com

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: QUESTION: Daiwa Tatula/Zillion TWS -> Braid -> Fluoro Topshot

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Yeah, it catches in the line guide. For this reason I only use a leader length that won't enter the reel...

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I can’t get a splice knot threw the t-wing while retrieving. I’ve been doing braid with about 6 feet of fluoro, but this season I’m doing about 1/3 spool of braid and fill the rest with fluoro. I’m coming close to the splice knot on a long cast.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 am

Using an 'FG' knot will solve this issue. Taking time to practice this knot will save you headaches in the union knot hitting the TWS line guide. I can use longer leaders, that go into the reel.