Spool Speed bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Spool Speed bearings

Postby johnD » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 am

I saw this guy on instagram. Anybody on here had any experience when them ? Selling snake oil or the real deal ?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby PikeRoadBassn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:33 am

Hard to say for sure, but they look a lot like the bearings found on Alibaba. Hopefully that is not the case.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm

I know who you are talking about. I made a comment about the handles with the aluminum knobs that he was trying to push. I told him I get the same handles for $20, and he told me they were knock offs. Seeing as how mine have the name brand of the "name brand" company I buy them from, his are the knock offs. Oh, but his come with "spool speed" bearings. OK. :lol: Probobly no better than the cheap "orange seals" you see on ebay. No thanks, Ill stick to the HH or ZPi bearings.
<")))><{

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby johnD » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:55 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:I know who you are talking about. I made a comment about the handles with the aluminum knobs that he was trying to push. I told him I get the same handles for $20, and he told me they were knock offs. Seeing as how mine have the name brand of the "name brand" company I buy them from, his are the knock offs. Oh, but his come with "spool speed" bearings. OK. :lol: Probobly no better than the cheap "orange seals" you see on ebay. No thanks, Ill stick to the HH or ZPi bearings.


Definitely sounds like a shill. unfollowed :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby mark poulson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Aside from the three spool bearings, is there any need for super high end bearings in the other bearing locations in a baitcaster?
For example, I love handles with two bearings in each knob, but is there a need for super bearings in them?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby adam lancia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 am

mark poulson wrote:Aside from the three spool bearings, is there any need for super high end bearings in the other bearing locations in a baitcaster?
For example, I love handles with two bearings in each knob, but is there a need for super bearings in them?


Any bearing with decent tolerances will do for the knobs imo. For the rest of the frame bearings, you'd really want to make sure they have precise tolerances since they're keeping the gears aligned.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Spool Speed bearings

Postby LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 am

adam lancia wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Aside from the three spool bearings, is there any need for super high end bearings in the other bearing locations in a baitcaster?
For example, I love handles with two bearings in each knob, but is there a need for super bearings in them?


Any bearing with decent tolerances will do for the knobs imo. For the rest of the frame bearings, you'd really want to make sure they have precise tolerances since they're keeping the gears aligned.


^THIS^ Tolerance is key. You dont need the bearing to spin for minutes for the frame. In fact, most bearings that spin for insane amounts of time, are probably doing that because of bad tolerances. :lol: You are going to have a bit of friction if you have a tight bearing, its in how the bearing performs as a whole, thats what really matters.
<")))><{


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests