New Tatula 150

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Tatula 150

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:34mm
So just to make sure again... It doesn't fit in the Tatula HD right? I really don't want to sell mine because they've been on sale so long, but just really wish I had a Curado K or Tatula CT-R in a 6 speed rather than the 7.3HD for cranking. There is a 153 spool, but its like 80 bones.
There is a gap with the Tatula 150 spool in the Tat HD, they aren't the same.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:42 am

DirtyD64 wrote:.... but just really wish I had a Curado K or Tatula CT-R in a 6 speed rather than the 7.3HD for cranking.
Why not just get a set of 6.x or 5.x gears for your Tatula HD?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:.... but just really wish I had a Curado K or Tatula CT-R in a 6 speed rather than the 7.3HD for cranking.
Why not just get a set of 6.x or 5.x gears for your Tatula HD?
I was under the assumption that they had done something special with those too. Do the regular Tatula Type R gears work in that frame? If so, I'm going after a 6 speed. I know that if the handle is turned when the spool is removed in my original Tatula Type R, it catches and feels awful. Now if the spool is removed and you turn the handle with the Tatula HD, it is much smoother, almost like there is some extra pinion support (not a bearing, but something). So I assumed maybe the pinions were different??? It isn't smooth like my Chronarch or free floating spool Daiwa's, but something extra is obviously in my HD's pinion support.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:22 am

Nope, same frame. I put 5.x:1 gears in an HD for a friend. They are dimensionally the same, but the HD gears are supposed to be tougher. Probably hardened brass on both gears. I believe the pinion on the standard Tatula is tempered phosphor bronze....but dont quote me on that lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Nope, same frame. I put 5.x:1 gears in an HD for a friend. They are dimensionally the same, but the HD gears are supposed to be tougher. Probably hardened brass on both gears. I believe the pinion on the standard Tatula is tempered phosphor bronze....but dont quote me on that lol!
:P

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 am

The reason it feels rough when the spool is removed is that the spool shaft isn't there to keep the pinion aligned. Stop that.
This is the way.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Correct. If any Tatula feels better w/o spool installed it's just Las Vegas odds. The handle should not be turned w/o the spool. It's critical for the pinion gearing that the spool is in place during any operation. Stop that...

Karl

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:05 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Nope, same frame. I put 5.x:1 gears in an HD for a friend. They are dimensionally the same, but the HD gears are supposed to be tougher. Probably hardened brass on both gears. I believe the pinion on the standard Tatula is tempered phosphor bronze....but dont quote me on that lol!
Solid joke.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 am

poisonokie wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Solid joke.
Glad someone appreciated it! But seriously, the gears dont swap, I was just poking fun. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!
However, the new Tatula 150 gears WILL swap with the standard Tat 100. So the lefty guys can have another speed besides the 7.3:1 gears with just a gear swap.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:47 am

Says Aluminum Frame and Sideplate. Is it like the Zillion 100's full aluminum or is it have one sideplate that will be plastic?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 am

Finnz922 wrote:Says Aluminum Frame and Sideplate. Is it like the Zillion 100's full aluminum or is it have one sideplate that will be plastic?
Well, every Zillion has a plastic palm side plate, and all the TWS Zillions have a Zaion gear side plate.

It has an aluminum frame and gear side plate and a plastic palm side plate like the original Tatula.
This is the way.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 am

poisonokie wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:Says Aluminum Frame and Sideplate. Is it like the Zillion 100's full aluminum or is it have one sideplate that will be plastic?
Well, every Zillion has a plastic palm side plate, and all the TWS Zillions have a Zaion gear side plate.

It has an aluminum frame and gear side plate and a plastic palm side plate like the original Tatula.
Yep. Your right.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 am

I'm not turning it drastically, if ever. I did make the mistake and do that when I first bought the Type R years ago, but definitely know better now. I'm telling you though, the way that the HD Tatula handle GENTLY turns is nothing like that of the original Type R. I don't see any difference in them, but something has to be to account for that difference. I guess it is possible that the odds and just certain ones are different, but it sure feels like a slight design difference (even though I understand that doesn't completely make sense). The Tatula Type R cannot even really turn by my standard because it catches and no way I would turn something binding up like that. The Tatula HD doesn't ever have the pinion bind, and though not as smooth as Zillions or my Chronarch MGL, it does feel like something is holding that pinion away from catching inside its race. The Type R is like my old BB1 PRO, you cannot even turn it because it does/would immediately catch and bind.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:39 am

So my friend received his Tat 150 yesterday so we compared it to the original 100. As I suspected the frame and side plates were exactly the same. What I didn't expect though was that the spools were the same too! :roll:(the part #'s were the same) The 150 is listed as holding more line then the 100. In the specs for line capacity the 150 shows a smaller dia. line compared to the 100. Talk about b.s. marketing. So basically your getting an original Tat with a longer handle, an upgraded t-wing, and a matte black paint job. It does look pretty sick though. I noticed the part #'s for the main and pinion gears were different. The reel was not as smooth as I would like.

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:34mm
So just to make sure again... It doesn't fit in the Tatula HD right? I really don't want to sell mine because they've been on sale so long, but just really wish I had a Curado K or Tatula CT-R in a 6 speed rather than the 7.3HD for cranking. There is a 153 spool, but its like 80 bones.
There is a gap with the Tatula 150 spool in the Tat HD, they aren't the same.
So to order aftermarket bearings and spool one would just order a spool and bearing set that would fit the original Tatula and they would fit the 150? I mean the spool and bearing sizes are the same? Thanks for any help.