CURADO K VS I VS CHRONARCH CI4

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jimmymo32
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

CURADO K VS I VS CHRONARCH CI4

Post by jimmymo32 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 am

Looking for recommendations on what's the better reel? I'm leaning towards the K but just wanted to see your thoughts

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: CURADO K VS I VS CHRONARCH CI4

Post by arrowslinger1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 am

The curado K is a great reel, look around and get it for a deal. You can add 4 bearings to the handle and one to the worm gear making it a 12 bearing reel. It casts great and is super smooth. If you are comparing it to the origianl chronarch ci4 I would go with the curado.

If you are talking about the new chronarch mgl then its a toss up> They are both great reels, really depends on what you are looking for. If weight is a concern the curado is a bit hefty, the chronarch is very light.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: CURADO K VS I VS CHRONARCH CI4

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 am

Testing a Chronarch Ci4+ made me buy a Chronarch MGL. The Chronarch Ci4+ is no slouch. It is lacking the extra bearing support on the main gear (the MGL and Curado K both have), but is still very solid. I have a friend who's much more well off than me, he used an old Chronarch Ci4+ on a 7'9" Heavy rod for chunking A-rigs and swimbaits with 20lb fluoro for years and last I remember it was still perfectly smooth. Before he came into some more expensive reels and replaced the Chronarch Ci4+ with Metanium/Steez level reels it was used on a Medium powered rod for shaky heads and finesse jigs. I always enjoyed using that reel though because even with the older SVS and slightly heavier spool than the MGL, it cast light weight lures pretty good. It cast light lures good enough that it made me make the aforementioned purchase of the Chronarch MGL, I knew if the Ci4+ was that capable of finesse, then the MGL version would only be better.

So in my opinion it depends on what you are using it for. I would still take a Chronarch Ci4+ for lighter lures over the Curado K, but for general purpose and weights above 3/8 I would easily take the Curado K because of the lower cost and perceived increase in strength and durability on top of the updated SVS system.