Tat SV TW or Curado K?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tat SV TW or Curado K?

Post by leggomye990 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Gona be picking up a couple 200$ reels for tournament use this year. No more bringing out the fancy reels on tournaments as a co angler. Last year my reels got dinged up from boat rash :crying:

Is it the Tatula SV TW or the Curdao K for around that $200 price point?

in 8 speed, 7 speed and 6 speed.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tat SV TW or Curado K?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 pm

As a Daiwa fan, I think the Curado would be 100% better than the Tatula's if it had a lighter shallow spool. That being said, if I sell my Tatula HD 7.3 for cranking I would replace it with a 6.2 Curado K, and if I sold my Tatula Type R original 8.1, I'd replace it with a 7.4 or 8.5 Curado K.

This being said if I were throwing lighter than 1/4 or skipping/distance didn't matter, it would be OBVIOUSLY the Tatula SV regardless of the Curado K seeming to be tougher and have better bearing placement.

This goes back to like I said, a $200 Curado MGL would rule the market for years and years. Maybe a DIY spool is in the works...

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 am

Curado feels much more solid to me.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:13 am

I would probably get a few of each. The Tat SV will be more controllable which will be handy for windy days and it also will cast lighter baits easier and further. The K will be better for overall distance with heavier baits so bigger jigs or frogs. Seems to me you can find them both under $150 on places like EBay. I would probably opt for a few of each in various gear ratios. Both would serve you well for a tournament reel as would the basic Tatula CT

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 am

I would need a few of each reels most defiantly to cover my styles.
So as for the Tat sv, its pretty good for lighter applications and the ccurado K would be good for heavier situations?

What about for moving baits such as cranks, top waters and swim jiggs? would you guys bet on the curado K for being the choice?

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Curado feels much more solid to me.

I seee you stocked up on a few curado K's. I played around with one, i defiantly like they way they feel and palm, but I also really love the Tat feel too ](*,)

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 am

I just bought one of each and haven’t had a chance to try them on water yet but playing around the house with them I’ll tell you the tatula sv is definitely more user friendly, easier set up and smooth! The Curado seems to cast further but a little more finicky! Both seem awesome and can’t wait to try them ojt

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 am

Both are nice reels. You can't go wrong. I use the Tatula SV's, Non-SV's, and Fuego CT's. All nice reels for every technique. Palm fine for me and I have medium/large glove size hands.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:48 am

I'm sure that Shimano makes a great reels, so no slight to the Curado here. I will always opt for a magnetic cast control system over a centri brake. Magforce of any flavor can be dialed in for a wider range of weights and wind is not a factor with magforce. Especially with the SV spool, you will also gain superior skipping. I'm a die-hard Daiwa fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but i will say this. I bought one Tat SV, then immediately sold 2 other reels to buy 4 more Tat SV's.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 am

I have love for both, but it does seem clear to me that in order to settle this I will most likely end up with 2 each.
Only reason for this, last summer I fished a handful of tournaments with my Steezes and Mets.. I had 5 set ups with me as co angler and 4 out of 5 reels got boat rash, nicks and dings :crying:

This year im leaving behind all my "good" reels and buying some cheaper reels that I wont be too concerned about with boat rash or other cosmetic damage.... only logical thing to do here, I'm sure some of you guys do the same lol

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I'm sure that Shimano makes a great reels, so no slight to the Curado here. I will always opt for a magnetic cast control system over a centri brake. Magforce of any flavor can be dialed in for a wider range of weights and wind is not a factor with magforce. Especially with the SV spool, you will also gain superior skipping. I'm a die-hard Daiwa fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but i will say this. I bought one Tat SV, then immediately sold 2 other reels to but 4 more Tat SV's.
They are great reels!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I'm sure that Shimano makes a great reels, so no slight to the Curado here. I will always opt for a magnetic cast control system over a centri brake. Magforce of any flavor can be dialed in for a wider range of weights and wind is not a factor with magforce. Especially with the SV spool, you will also gain superior skipping. I'm a die-hard Daiwa fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but i will say this. I bought one Tat SV, then immediately sold 2 other reels to but 4 more Tat SV's.
They are great reels!
This is what the one I got from you looks like now.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:56 pm

I bet there are reel covers made for those "better" reels...

oe

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:
They are great reels!
This is what the one I got from you looks like now.

That 76ML you just bought will suit that reel really nicely I bet! It will LAUNCH light baits! Ok, now I am sort of jealous! :P

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:I bet there are reel covers made for those "better" reels...

oe

I have a bunch of those Tackle Warehouse reel covers, but I normally have them on the reels wen I'm not using them.
I should really start using them more often.