LT versus Ci4+FB

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: LT versus Ci4+FB

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 am

Yeah another shout out to Scooby, I'm starting to see why you like a lower speed spinning reel now too. I'm really interested in the LT series, but kind of wishing the 3000 size was a retrieval rate of closer to 33 IPT that almost 37. That 5.3 in the Ballistic doesn't sound as bad now. Always liked the Luvias reels because they are somewhere in the middle of a low 6 speed and low 5 speed, around 5.6-5.7 I think.

Do you know if the Tatula LT 2000 and LT 1000 are the same body size/gears/etc.???

Thanks again for all the reel reviews and overviews along with general information, really helps tackle addicts like myself make decisions.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 am

So is there anything else? I have been checking the JDM sites, looking at some of the other spinning reels I could obtain for the price I have saved... Found a few Luvias here and there, but not sure on any of these other reels.

I also plan on upgrading both my older Ci4+FA (and the Ci4+FB if I buy one) with Carbontex drag washers and possibly the 7x11x3 bearing under the drag. There is also a 3x6x2.5 bearing on the back of the levelwind that requires a 0.2mm shim... Has anyone ever done this with either? I have done handle knob bearings and levelwinds, along with gear swaps and multiple disassembly projects, but never anything requiring shims yet (also never modified a spinning reel).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Had to go ahead and go with the Stradic Ci4+2500FB. Ordered from TackleTrap, cannot beat their service. I cannot figure out from anyone about the bearings/shims to help out the reel. Seems easy to do from tutorials, just can't get an answer concerning the shim that goes on the bearing added to the levelwind at the back of the reel. The drag bearing seems simple enough...

Probably try the Tatula LT1000 when my Revo STX20 goes out on the 6'Light rod...

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I put out some stuff about the new tats earlier today...the 3k is larger than a 3k shimano. But 6.8 ounces with no line.

I put some time on the Tatula lt about 30hrs so far of winter finesse fishing.

CI4 tons of great with the gear durbility issues within the norm.
I'm tempted to send you my Revo STX20 for a look. I don't think it has a locomotion levelwind, but I would like to see it internally past where I break it down. The gear box is a little jam packed though and very small within the body. Call it like an insert molded C6 body or something. This little Abu (and my wife's Premier 30 2016-sent for free) both lay line well, are lightweight, great drag, etc. Only issue with them is gear durability, they are smooth everywhere except for after a big fish fight or heavy load. Strangely they seem to return to smoothness a little after, maybe they are wearing back smooth.

So overall, I will simply ask, if it was you in my situation, for a 7'ML rod, would you get a Ci4+2500 or a Tatula LT1000-2500 (or shallow 3000 Sterling)? Probably use the new 8lb Sufix 832 yellow.

Just seein this now..
I'd be willing..but I am over encumbered at the moment.....beyond backed up.

In regards to the ci4 worm bearing add on.

It think it's a t6 torx or t5 can't remember off hand..same as all the other rear plates on their fw spinners

Philips screw size 0

and the shim and bushing is located right there....a few gentle taps and up downs holding the spool shaft and a tweezer should get it out no muss no fuss
Do not turn the handle (best remove it) when removing tht part to protect the worm from possible binding when the bushing is out and worm not alligned.

then pop in bearing and bushing if even needed.

The spool bearing shouldn't make a difference unless you're fishing heavy loads and hard charging fish.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Kurt L wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I put out some stuff about the new tats earlier today...the 3k is larger than a 3k shimano. But 6.8 ounces with no line.

I put some time on the Tatula lt about 30hrs so far of winter finesse fishing. I love it. I also have a ci4 on loan that i've fished and it's excellent as well. I haven't realy spent any time on the ballistic beyond a pair of outings. But it's a tatula with mag seal and a seal in the sideplate.

I'd take the tat and tat silver over a stradic fk and ultegra. Throw a dart for the ci4...but the tat is so simple internally which is nice to see.

Regarding cold forged and coated vs machined alu....tell my stellas who need new gears in 2 years and one of em saw more shelf time than on the water time. (received tons of pm's with FI stellas needing gear swaps which i found weird)

Posted uppy close shots in the vid of the mirror polish that's formed as the tat lt gearset has run in.

They have a nice feel to them...As a shimano egg beater fan whos owned a ton of each. I think the best way to approach the new tats and ballistics.......They equal the shimano ci4 in performance.....and on the water experience.......Ballistic offers a bit more ruggedness.......But they need to prove themselves.

The Penn slammer 3 is the most refined tank modern sub 300$ reel ever made on paper....it hasn't proven itself yet..and there are tons of qc issues.
I know one person had a ballistic lt swapped after it got geary after a day....never saw it first hand...and he's ocd :)
I know 8 others have put time on them and they enjoy them.

CI4 tons of great with the gear durbility issues within the norm.
Thank you Scooby for all your hard work and telling the details that matter, I think you may have sold me on a LT 4000/5000 :D for the upcoming King Salmon season. In Alaska we don't normally see new tackle for a year or two after it's released it seems so it's a real help to see your video's!

Thanks, Kurt
No Problem! Thanks!
I think i'm finally gonna get to fondle the bigger ballistics this weekend!!!
I may sell off a saltiga if they feel up to task...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:58 am

I'm not sure if it isn't because of being broken in yet or what, but the Daiwa LT series seemed to have a "different" feel than the Ci4+FB, the one I have has that air feeling, our Revo's have the smooth but gear feeling, and the in store Daiwa's had an air/connected gear feel.

I know after the ole STX20 goes out, I will be adding a Tatula LT1000 next, still very happy to have my Stradic, thanks TackleTrap.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:43 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm not sure if it isn't because of being broken in yet or what, but the Daiwa LT series seemed to have a "different" feel than the Ci4+FB, the one I have has that air feeling, our Revo's have the smooth but gear feeling, and the in store Daiwa's had an air/connected gear feel.

I know after the ole STX20 goes out, I will be adding a Tatula LT1000 next, still very happy to have my Stradic, thanks TackleTrap.
From my experience.
Every new reel feels different nowadays.

It all depends on which one you pick up.

Sad but it seems that's the way it is.

From stellas, to slammers.

What I've experienced with my ballistic vs tatula....I thought the tat felt more fluid. it took a bit of oil on the handle seal to get it to that...."ahhhhhhhh that's a nice egg beater" zone.
But....after about 20 hours of chuckin and windin....they really turned into some very "smooth" and light turning reels.

All reels have to be run in (sort of...shimanos with coated gears don't seem to change much when new)....but it seems these are more noticeable.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am

I know even though I am happy with my purchase, I can say that the LT series reels I messed with in store felt very smooth. It is hard to explain the preference I have though, cause I would still take the Stradic, it has a better built feeling, but the LT series felt amazing in their own way. Depends on which Abu goes out first and if they will replace it or not, if the wife's PRM30 goes, it will be a Tatula LT3000 and if the STX20 goes it will be a Tatula LT1000.

I'm really enjoying bream/Light fishing though now, plan on adding a second 6'Light combo before furthering more bass stuff. Looking at a St. Croix Premier/Avid now even though the TFO has been good so far.

Also the 8lb Sufix 832 has been great on the Stradic, the 10lb was always strong enough but a bit thick so this new 8lb should be perfect for dropshot/finesse on a ML rod... Ended up with 6lb Nanobraid on the 6'L, good line but more rough than I thought it would be. If I buy a second Light setup I feel Nanofil or 5lb PowerPro needs a shot.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 pm

How are these Tatula LT's working out for those that own them?
Looking to get a new trout reel and after having many stradics I am done with them and thinking either the Lt or a ballistic in the 100 size.
Any feedback?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am

1nutinthewater wrote:How are these Tatula LT's working out for those that own them?
Looking to get a new trout reel and after having many stradics I am done with them and thinking either the Lt or a ballistic in the 100 size.
Any feedback?
I picked up my Tatula LT about two months ago and have taken it out on the water a handful of times and really impressed by the reel. It has a smooth drag, lightweight, and buttery smooth. Time will tell how long these will hold up, but I'm so impressed that if I do end up getting another spinning reel, it'll be a Tatula or Ballistic LT for the added protection of magseal.