Zillion tw sv spool vs. Steez tw sv spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Zillion tw sv spool vs. Steez tw sv spool

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

Has anyone compared the newer stock Steez TW SV G1 spool(steez 1016sv g1) against the Zillion TW SV G1 spool(zillion 1016sv g1)?

In a thread in tuning section, Pikeroadbassin weighed them and the Steez is definitely lighter:
-Steez: 11.50
-zillion: 12.12

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=76721

Wondering if anyone has gotten around to comparing them or noticed any notable differences.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion tw sv spool vs. Steez tw sv spool

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes. The rotor on the Steez spool is a slight fraction smaller, and the spool is ported behind the bearing. Performance wise, the Steez spool will handle lighter baits a touch better, on the higher weight end of the spectrum, I'm not so sure their is a noticable difference.
Cost to performance - Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm

I would consider which reel you intend to use the spool in before acquiring it. That slight size difference on the rotor can make a huge difference believe it or not. There are some great polarity / rotor combos. Get it wrong and you will end up with a reel that's much to fast or way over braked

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I would consider which reel you intend to use the spool in before acquiring it. That slight size difference on the rotor can make a huge difference believe it or not. There are some great polarity / rotor combos. Get it wrong and you will end up with a reel that's much to fast or way over braked
This. For some reason the Zillion SV TW spool in my SS/SV is a monster, just absolute perfect casting.

I wonder about magnetic profiles (sideplate) differences between reels...

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Yes. The rotor on the Steez spool is a slight fraction smaller, and the spool is ported behind the bearing. Performance wise, the Steez spool will handle lighter baits a touch better, on the higher weight end of the spectrum, I'm not so sure their is a noticable difference.
Cost to performance - Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Right on, thanks man! Shopping for spools for a couple of my sv103's(sv103xs & sv103h). Will likely go with the zillion spool as it won't be for anything light weight mostly, maybe occasionally 1/8oz. I have a blue emblem if I want to use a dedicated light weight spool.

Just trying to make sense out of all the current G1 sv spools- how they stack up & where they shine.